Walking Sticks.........

B

Bura Nut

How many people use walking sticks and do you make your own? I am curious about what people make their's out of and any tips. I am thinking of making one out of a century plant stalk, but want to make one out of a good stick, so any tips would be appreciated........ Allen......

Allen, I'm sure you remeber a couple of months ago I described the walking stick I use, but I'll mention it again for others that may not have read it then.

I use a tall staff with a crook on top. The typical "sheperd's staff". A friend of mine makes them and they work beautifully for me. I like the height to be about 3 inches taller than my height which in my case puts the staff at 6'8". Where I hold the staff I wrap it with a wrap I get at Walmart that is used to wrap the handles of tennis and raquet ball rackets.

The crook at the top works wonderfully to to rest my 10x40 Zeiss binoculars on to glass from as I'm walking. The binoculars cradle perfectly along the curve of the stick and give me a remarkably steady hold. I have the staff tall so I can glass while standing on steep slopes and the top of the staff will still reach my eyes. When I'm on level ground I just kick the bottom of the stick out to bring the stick down to my eye level.

In the past I've used the yucca poles some and plane old broom handles, but for my style of hunting the sheperd's staff works the best for me. On my recent Wyoming trip I wasn't able to take my "stick" with me and I really missed it to steady my 10's while I glassed the country. I may have my friend look into setting my staff up to break down so I can fit it in my duffle.

Oh, it also works well to steady me as I walk but that's the secondary purpose of my stick. I primarily use it to glass from. I recently picked up a cheap digital camera so today I'll try to post of couple of photos of my stick in action.

My friend built Tommy Maldonado one of the Sheperd's staffs and he now uses his religously. He'd rather give up his best huntin' dog than that stick.

Scott

You got that right! I like the staff more for support on my bum knee when going down hill. You can also use it as a shooting stick. Just grasp your sling with the staff in between your palm and fingers and it holds the cross hairs very steady. Now I need to figure out how to use it to steady my bow. he he

Later

Don't use a Century plant, they are hollow & will break...
Use a Yucca, I've had the same one for over 15 years & still going strong.
Allen I've made up a mess of them for x-mas , give me a call

After watching Crazy, I figured I would get one. Dave, I will holler at you mon/tuesday and we can hook up. I can see where the tall staff would come in handy for alot of situations.......Thanks...... Allen......

A few guys I hunt with use extending Bogen monopods as walking sticks. They glass off them and one even managed to put a Jim White bino to Tripod adapter on top of his and only glasses off it with 10 powers he doesnt ever use a tripod. They see alot of game off the top of them and fall down into the cactus patches only half as much as I do! Bwaaahahahaha!!! I have been thinking about using a stick I just cant seem to ever find one I like alot. The Bogen pods are way too "fat" for me to hold comfortably up near the top.

Bret Mattausch

we've used the yucca sticks from the willow springs desert for many many years now.for glassing from they are the best, and to steady you're shots from is also a real help. but you can put 2 of them together thick end to thin end and strap them into one. then you tie your deer horns into the middle of them. then you pick up an end- it takes 2 people, but you pick up an end and lay it into your waistline, right at your beltbuckle, and walk. it takes all the waite off the deer, and your legs then do all the work for you. by the way i've also had my smae stick for 17 years now, would'nt trade it for nothing. i do have about 10 extra ones made up in case of a break.
MICHAEL S. WAITE C/O WAITE RANCH, TUCSON-MARANA, AZ.

I did finally get some photos of my stick and how I use it. Here they are.

staff_I.jpg

staff_II.jpg

staff_III.jpg

I've used a "Moses stick" for years; like others of you, mine are made from dead yucca stalks (durable, light-weight, and cheap!). Especially helpful when traversing rocky, hilly terrain here in Arizona (both of my knees have gone under the knife) ...

Lv2hnt

sounds like my knees- 3 surgeries on each !!!!! i love my stick when attempting to go along the side of hills, or downhill. they are great to glass from, and since i'm not the best off hand shot- i lay my trusty old 6mm right on it- then i'm a real good off stick shot- lol lol lol. but when dragging out the MULE DEER with me and my dad- there was nothing better than tying the 2 together and letting our legs/hips do all the work. i'm on my way to williams in the next 18 hours for my elk hunt- my sticks will be going. although i'm not too sure i can drag an elk out with it- but i can shoot her off of it with no worries.
MICHAEL S. WAITE C/O WAITE RANCH, TUCSON-MARANA, AZ.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom