Wall tent heater

LouieT

I just got back from a Colorado elk hunt. We were camped around 8500-9000 feet elevation and I noticed a lot of wall tents with propane bottles outside and a hose running in for the heater. These tents had no wood stove chimney so the propane must have been the heat source. My question is what heaters are guys using at that elevation in the tents for heat.

Thanks

Probably a Big Buddy heater using a hose for a bulk tank. Ill occasionally use a big buddy just for quick heat if I don't want the big stove.

With all of the fire restrictions out west. I don’t think you can have a fire. That’s why you maybe seeing more propane heaters this year. I have a wood stove and a Big buddy heater with the external hose.

At that altitude, I had trouble keeping my Big Buddy lit. I went to a dual tank top propane heater with the tank placed in a milk crate that I secure to the ground. It keeps the tent (12x14 with 4' walls) warm during bow season...I haven't run it all night nor have I had extreme weather (coldest down to 20 degrees).

This is what we used this year due to the fire ban. We were at about 9,300ft in a 16x20 wall tent, 5' side walls. Ran it all night, no headaches, nobody died.

Screenshot_20201019-132035_Chrome.jpg

I just got back from a Colorado elk hunt. We were camped around 8500-9000 feet elevation and I noticed a lot of wall tents with propane bottles outside and a hose running in for the heater. These tents had no wood stove chimney so the propane must have been the heat source. My question is what heaters are guys using at that elevation in the tents for heat.

Thanks
Mr. Heater they have an low oxygen sensor shut off, we have two tested the sensor and it worked on our heaters, purchase the hose and adaptor to use 5 or 7 gal propane tanks.

Mr. Heater they have an low oxygen sensor shut off, we have two tested the sensor and it worked on our heaters, purchase the hose and adaptor to use 5 or 7 gal propane tanks.
How long of a burn are you all getting out of a 5 gallon tank? I'd like to try the propane fired Mr. Heater but don't want to have to carry several tanks for a 10 day hunt or have to be running to town for additional propane supplies.

This is what I’ve used... I’ve used it in my 10X14 tent and in my trailer. Works great! It might be a bit small for larger areas but for what I’ve needed it for it’s been great. It eats up a green can of propane every few hours though.
95CE1834-6323-4ED1-8162-A542D5D58C3A.jpeg

What is the highest elevation have you used that at? We have used the big buddy heater around 7000' elevation and it was fine. According to Mr. Heater above 7000' it may not work. A 20# propane tank lasts for several days on a hunting trip for us.

No issues with a Mr. Heater Big Buddy at 8,200 feet last week as long as we provided for proper air circulation.

I only ran it for a couple of nights, but I was curious how long the 20 lb tank would last if we ran it longer (along with the coleman lantern and cooking stove, which were also hooked to the tank).

But, I know it lasts at least three days and two nights. :)

Get the Buddy 2
You want the bigger size.
Figure One five gallon tank will run about 3
Days.I always take a extra tank just for emergencies.3 or 4 5 gallon propane tanks are much easier to deal with than a wood stove,
Fire wood and a burned up tent after you hunted all day.Plus they load on horses well.

I’ve used my big buddy at 9500 many years. The only issue is the fan. It uses 4 big batteries. I wish they were rechargeable. I take with me a rechargeable fan.

We have small and large from Home Depot. The small works well for maintaining temp and is quiet. The large works amazing when it is below 20. I have a 16 x 20 wall tent and I bring several tanks. Stopped bringing the wood stove years ago. Too much time spent finding wood, dealing with smoke in the tent from wind. Propane heaters are far better. Instant heat.

If you can find it, the 80-250k BTU heater will have your tent at 100 degrees in seconds when it is 0 degrees. I can jump out of the bag in my undies and be warm in less than a minute I. Freezing cold weather. The small heater is better when you are hanging out.

That Big Buddy heater worked well for me on my Colorado hunt. Ran it all night on low a couple of nights.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom