Wall tent or Tipi?

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
Looking for a new back country tent. It'll need to sleep 3-4 people comfortably. I've used plenty of wall tents but I'm not keen on the bulk and the weight. I do love how warm and dry they keep you tho in bad weather. I've never used a tipi but I see they are gaining popularity. Whats the pros and cons of each?
Thanks!

Traditional >>>------->

The old tried and true canvas wall tent, it's nostalgic. It's the stereotypical icon of elk hunting and advertisers in glossy magazines.

It's also heavy and really not that water tight, prone to mildew and in most cases requires some hefty frame work or ridge pole. Factor that into your set up time.

You put a stove in anything and you'll stay warmer than not. There's lighter weight, better materials now days.

The one thing I don't like about many tipis is the lack of a floor.

I'm using the double lined M1950 army tent. It's the same build as the old Korean tents, but the newest ones are now made with a much lighter weigh poly blend material than the old cotton canvas tents. With the stove I'm coming in at 35 lbs, sleeps 4 guys comfortably and will fit in one pannier (tent and stove).

My father in law uses the Cabelas Outback Lodge with a sewn in flue pipe hole. It's a good option too. Even lighter and more compact than my army tent, but is one layer and cools off faster when the heater is shut off.

Both are heavier than the super lightweight floorless tipis built for backpackers. I looked but steered away from them cause as you know at 10,000ft in WY it can turn nasty and I wanted something a little tougher. I also use it in November for muzzy elk, very warm.

If all I was hunting was early season august/sept, I'd probably be using the a silnyl tipi with a titanium fold up stove.

I'm curious on what you decide on. From what I can tell, you hunt in similar areas/conditions as I do. Let us know what chose and how it works out.

I have used both and currently own the 12 man tipi from Kifaru. It sleeps 4 with gear comfortably although we usually set up a small tent for gear to keep things uncluttered. Storms are a non-issue with the tipi. It handles wind,rain, and it sheds snow like a champ. Them Natives sure knew what design worked! I can't think of any lodging more classicly designed than that. Lightweight, 19 lbs complete.Throw in the lightweight stove and you can comfortably handle sub-freezing conditions. Each camper brings a small throw rug to put in front of their cot for changing shoes and clothes. Never missed having a tent floor to sweep out constantly!
If I was going on a hunt with more than 4 people I would go with a wall tent, Less I have to take the Tipi!

Hello HorseCreek!
Like you, I was always kinda fond of the traditional canvas wall tents but, I never liked the bulk and/or the weight.
Ten years ago I bought the 12 X 12 Alaknak from Cabelas and it has been the best tent I have ever owned. The first time we set it up was in CO on a September elk hunt at about 9500' and I wasn't sure what to expect. We had wind & rain so hard that it was blowing down the aspens and that tent never leaked a drop or loosened any of the tensioners. A friend borrowed it to take it back to CO for the third season rifle deer hunt and he used the wood burning stove that came with the tent. He reported back that it worked great. I haven't had to use the stove myself but I hunt almost exclusively early archery elk hunts. Sometimes & little chilly but never really cold.
We sleep four comfortably on cots and still have room for a cooking table and an eating table.
Sometimes our group gets up to six or eight guys and then we just bring our smaller "summer" tents for sleeping in and the Alaknak becomes the kitchen/ dining room!
There is one "down side" to this tent. the floor is relatively fragile. If you don't get ALL OF THE HALF WAY SHARP ROCKS cleared out before you set it up, it will tear holes in the floor. Fortunately, they are easily repaired with the patch kit that came with the tent. We now just put down a plastic tarp under the tent to protect the floor.
I have seriously considered buying a second 12 X 12 Alaknak for the bigger trips!
It has been the best investment I have ever made in the camping equipment.

Toughen Up HC!:D

A few years ago in RR I spent a couple nights in this one!

No it's not mine but a Good Friend of Mine Owns it!

6969elk018.jpg

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

X2 on Elkchaser words. I have the floor liner and the roof liner to protect it. Use the wood stove a lot.Works great. We have bunk bed cots that work for my boys. We also got the center pole holders to hold a lantern in the middle of the tent.I dont think you can go wrong with that set up. Rain or snow your good.

Tepee.....Lighter, sets up easy, dries out quicker after rain or snow. Wall tent seems more like hunting camp though. I use the tepee now though.

In nothin but your buffalo briefs too? :)

>Toughen Up HC!:D
>
>A few years ago in RR
>I spent a couple nights
>in this one!
>
>No it's not mine but a
>Good Friend of Mine Owns
>it!
>
>
>