Wall tent pellet stove conversion

What is everyone using as far as a pellet conversion for there wood stove? Or are they not all that good just stick with wood?
I have looked and just not found one that seemed "right" for the cost. The ones that seemed good were pretty pricy. I will be watching this thread but a year ago after all my research, I just couldn't convince myself it was worth the change/cost etc. I was also really concerned about the potential for hopper fires as well.

With real wood, you generally have to get up at least 1-2 times a night to refill stove. And it’s the cold that wakes you up. Pellet stove that runs continually all night would be a major improvement.

I have one and they are great, get the bigger size hopper. I've never burned through a whole bag in a day but I don't run the stove during the day when I'm gone either. It's so nice not getting up at night anymore to stoke a dam fire. It doesn't get as hot in the tent like my wood burner but if you leave it wide open it will get plenty warm. I bought mine off a buddy so it wasn't new but I think it runs around 5-700 new looks pretty similar to the one above, 3 buddies have bought them for their tents after using mine.

I have one and they are great, get the bigger size hopper. I've never burned through a whole bag in a day but I don't run the stove during the day when I'm gone either. It's so nice not getting up at night anymore to stoke a dam fire. It doesn't get as hot in the tent like my wood burner but if you leave it wide open it will get plenty warm. I bought mine off a buddy so it wasn't new but I think it runs around 5-700 new looks pretty similar to the one above, 3 buddies have bought them for their tents after using mine.
Which one do you have?

So......... if you run out of pellets can you throw a few logs in or will the heat melt the pellet burner?

The one I posted, and the op asked about, is just attached to the back of a regular wood burning cylinder stove. Cut a hole in the back of the stove and mount it.

Thanks. I have to admit, not having to restore the fire twice a night would be nice. (We burn mostly pine.) However........ there still is this damn bladder business that needs to be dealt with anyway.
Yeah... I did research and found some reporting issues with the pellets bridging in the hopper and not feeding and they had to get up and smack it anyways. For my tent we bought an oversized stove, fill it with wood and get a bunch of coals then we add a lump of coal and just restrict is way down. with just wood I stock the fire at 10 pm ish and usually add new wood around 4 am. With coal I usually add wood a 1/2 hour before we get up just to warm for morning.

But like you I often have to dewater more than the wood issue...

Wood and coal...the only way to fly. Light the fire once and you're good until you decide to head home. BTDT for 20 years.

This thread reminds me of a spring bear hunt 2 years ago when we debut a new homemade pellet burner. 120 degrees in the tent or completely smoked out if you tried slow it down. It was a long week with a couple good middle of the night smoke stories to tell the kids.

This thread reminds me of a spring bear hunt 2 years ago when we debut a new homemade pellet burner. 120 degrees in the tent or completely smoked out if you tried slow it down. It was a long week with a couple good middle of the night smoke stories to tell the kids.
Memories........ and the first lier doesn’t have a chance.

I’ve got an ash screen on my stove chimney..... I would guess most do.

We were hunting just north of the Mexican border in New Mexico, a few years ago. Someone had left a bunch of large cylinders of heavy trees cut, near our camp. Not sure what kind of tree they were but they were right stout, dense, and bone dry. However, there was some kind of natural compound running through them, it reminded me of the turpentine that builds up in ancient Ponderosa trees.

Anyway, I had been feeding that wood into our stove for about a week. Around midnight, one rainy night, the stove started making smoke in the tent. I opened the air slide, added some fuel but it just keep smoking. I finally just got pissed off, grabbed the shovel and throw everything in the stove out the front door and went back to bed.

The boys headed back out to look for coues deer in the morning and I went to work on the stove. I riped that sucker completely apart and put it back together. Still smoked!

Finally, my 17 year old grandson came back from his morning hunt and walked by. He said, “have ya checked the ash screen”.

WHAT?

Down it came. The screen was as solid as a rock. I had to find a small nail in the bottom of the tool box and punch out every single hole to clear that crap off. Took me the rest off the afternoon.

Your turn.......

We were hunting just north of the Mexican border in New Mexico, a few years ago. Someone had left a bunch of large cylinders of heavy trees cut, near our camp. Not sure what kind of tree they were but they were right stout, dense, and bone dry. However, there was some kind of natural compound running through them, it reminded me of the turpentine that builds up in ancient Ponderosa trees.

Anyway, I had been feeding that wood into our stove for about a week. Around midnight, one rainy night, the stove started making smoke in the tent. I opened the air slide, added some fuel but it just keep smoking. I finally just got pissed off, grabbed the shovel and throw everything in the stove out the front door and went back to bed.

The boys headed back out to look for coues deer in the morning and I went to work on the stove. I riped that sucker completely apart and put it back together. Still smoked!

Finally, my 17 year old grandson came back from his morning hunt and walked by. He said, “have ya checked the ash screen”.

WHAT?

Down it came. The screen was as solid as a rock. I had to find a small nail in the bottom of the tool box and punch out every single hole to clear that crap off. Took me the rest off the afternoon.

Your turn.......
ash screen.....is that like a spark arrester on a chainsaw?

WHAT?

Your turn.......
I can relate. I knocked off the "ash screen" with a shovel, the stove caught and sounded like a jet engine for a few minutes!

1/4" hardware cloth is not suitable for that.

Darned if I know eel. When you burn up chain saws to you need to keep the sparks from plugging up the stove pipe?
You sure do. A chainsaw can't breath (exhaust) with a plugged spark arrester. Carbon buildup is what plugs them. I just remove them, unless I'm cutting on Forest Service of course...(eye roll). They require them to cut firewood.

You sure do. A chainsaw can't breath (exhaust) with a plugged spark arrester. Carbon buildup is what plugs them. I just remove them, unless I'm cutting on Forest Service of course...(eye roll). They require them to cut firewood.
I’ll be damned........ that explains a lot of things.....I wish we’d had the little visit before I gave up on that Husqvarna I throw out last fall. Wasn’t that old either...???

Might have been nice 20 years ago, but at my age now I have to get up at least once if not twice during the night in my heated home to take a pee. My boys all sleep well throughout the night and not a big deal where I'm up anyways a couple of times!!!

I still need to try the coal thing!!!

Love the wall tent camping all year around. Usually spend right around 35 nights/days in a wall tent a year - Now saying that still puts a smile on my face.

Might have been nice 20 years ago, but at my age now I have to get up at least once if not twice during the night in my heated home to take a pee. My boys all sleep well throughout the night and not a big deal where I'm up anyways a couple of times!!!

I still need to try the coal thing!!!

Love the wall tent camping all year around. Usually spend right around 35 nights/days in a wall tent a year - Now saying that still puts a smile on my face.
Yep it’s great, until they all head home and Im left to repackage everything, until next time. It takes a lot longer now days, but still well worth it.

Regarding coal. I grew up stoking coal in an old furnace. I ain’t dealing with no more coal. It stinks and it clinks, and it can burn out a wood stove faster than necessary.

I was around when they first invented propane. A three burner propane heater will sweat the paint off your girl friends toenails if you want heat that bad......

Now, this peeing business. Where I was raised, by decent folks, the outhouse was 50 yard from the bedrooms. Walking 50 yards to the outhouse, at 4 A.M. at 40 below, with a slight breeze blowing out of the Southwest, just to take a leak, was abject insanity. )I never knew any insane people, back then.) Every house had what was politely called a “chamber pot”. A nice white pot with a pretty black handle in the side. It worked just fine, no need to get anymore detailed than that.

Having been raised properly, no one ever had to explain to me how or where to pee, when using a warm wall tent. It was simply standard operating procedure. Now these boys of mine consider me substandard and rough around the edges....... and the grandkids........ they wanna call the cops, but they never complain when I’m just up to throw a few more logs in the stove and what they don’t see they don’t worry about.

Does that make sense?

I can relate. I knocked off the "ash screen" with a shovel, the stove caught and sounded like a jet engine for a few minutes!

1/4" hardware cloth is not suitable for that.
Never had the ole chimney fire in my tent stove but I fired one up, one night in the home fireplace. A jet engine is a great way to describe it. The sound compliments the pretty red after burner flame shooting straight out the top. It’s a genuine pucker party!

Only really stupid people have chimney fires.

Never had the ole chimney fire in my tent stove but I fired one up, one night in the home fireplace. A jet engine is a great way to describe it. The sound compliments the pretty red after burner flame shooting straight out the top. It’s a genuine pucker party!

Only really stupid people have chimney fires.
I may or may not have learned a lesson about using the camp stove to dispose of trash. That could have been what clogged the screen. :)

Yep it’s great, until they all head home and Im left to repackage everything, until next time. It takes a lot longer now days, but still well worth it.

Regarding coal. I grew up stoking coal in an old furnace. I ain’t dealing with no more coal. It stinks and it clinks, and it can burn out a wood stove faster than necessary.

I was around when they first invented propane. A three burner propane heater will sweat the paint off your girl friends toenails if you want heat that bad......

Now, this peeing business. Where I was raised, by decent folks, the outhouse was 50 yard from the bedrooms. Walking 50 yards to the outhouse, at 4 A.M. at 40 below, with a slight breeze blowing out of the Southwest, just to take a leak, was abject insanity. )I never knew any insane people, back then.) Every house had what was politely called a “chamber pot”. A nice white pot with a pretty black handle in the side. It worked just fine, no need to get anymore detailed than that.

Having been raised properly, no one ever had to explain to me how or where to pee, when using a warm wall tent. It was simply standard operating procedure. Now these boys of mine consider me substandard and rough around the edges....... and the grandkids........ they wanna call the cops, but they never complain when I’m just up to throw a few more logs in the stove and what they don’t see they don’t worry about.

Does that make sense?
I here you on all of that. I remember the old coal furnace and the coal stove/oven in grandma's kitchen. 5 gallon bucket of coal at a time!!!.

I need to get up during the night. On really cold nights I hear you about the chamber pot. Now days I just keep a empty Gatoraid bottle by the front door and take care of bussiness and stock the stove at the same time. :giggle:

Course you do....... anyone with any common sense would do the same. Just don’t put that Gatoraid bottle back in the cooler and everybody’s cool.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom