Wanda Walkers Ranch Unit 2 Colorado

ddsflyfisher

Anyone have experience hunting there? Looking at cashing in points this year here. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers- Dave

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-19 AT 02:22PM (MST)[p]I personally haven't been on the ranch since Wanda passed and it changed hands, but it used to be a great place. My dad killed his bull off the ranch back in 07 in little joe canyon. That being said majority of the top end bulls I've watched and helped others hunt the past decade have not lived on the walker ranch. If I had the tag personally I wouldn't pay to hunt the ranch knowing what I know now. If you do draw the tag I'd be more than willing to give you suggestions on where to hunt.

Coloradoboy

I hunted Boyd and Wanda place quit a few years ago they were both alive at that time.The trespass fee was only $100 bucks.It was worth the money just to camp and not have anybody bother you stuff.

>I hunted Boyd and Wanda place
>quit a few years ago
>they were both alive at
>that time.The trespass fee was
>only $100 bucks.It was worth
>the money just to camp
>and not have anybody bother
>you stuff.

Those were the good old days. Wanda almost felt criminal having someone pay her a couple hundred bucks to hunt the ranch back then.

Coloradoboy

They were great people it's sad they have passed away.And I'm sure it costs a lot more than a $100 bucks now. I think they have a daughter that lived in Maybell or Craig but that's been a long time ago.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-19 AT 09:56AM (MST)[p]>They were great people it's sad
>they have passed away.And I'm
>sure it costs a lot
>more than a $100 bucks
>now. I think they have
>a daughter that lived in
>Maybell or Craig but that's
>been a long time ago.
>

Yep that would be Dawn.Not sure if she's involved anymore. I honestly haven't stepped foot on the ranch since 2011.

Coloradoboy

Back to the question about hunting there. The last time I hunted it was archery elk and it was tough the elk would come off the park after dark and go back just before day light.There were plenty of rag horns on Walkers but all the big bulls stayed on park with all the cows.

>Back to the question about hunting
>there. The last time I
>hunted it was archery elk
>and it was tough the
>elk would come off the
>park after dark and go
>back just before day light.There
>were plenty of rag horns
>on Walkers but all the
>big bulls stayed on park
>with all the cows.

>>Back to the question about hunting
>>there. The last time I
>>hunted it was archery elk
>>and it was tough the
>>elk would come off the
>>park after dark and go
>>back just before day light.There
>>were plenty of rag horns
>>on Walkers but all the
>>big bulls stayed on park
>>with all the cows.

I have hunted up there with a friend and for my self the past two years it's one of the best in Colorado in my opinion if you have questions please call me I would love to help.1-970-270-0552

>How many points does it take
>to draw unit 2?

25 plus for a nonresident for an early tag tag right now. Residents are in the low 20s unless you are lucky and pull the hybrid with 5 plus points.

Coloradoboy

It's worth the wait if you have 20 plus points. If your 15 and under it's a lost cause with with how bad the point creep is. I think the first time my dad and uncle drew unit 2 it took 6 points.

Coloradoboy

I will start all over again this year and will stick with it until the end again It is worth the chance of getting to do it again. Some of the best people I have ever had the Chance to meet and some of the prettiest country you will ever see.

As bad as the drought was last year and "stunted" growth on the 5th and 6th's that resulted, I didn't think it was a bad year. At last count I had, there were 8 bulls taken with different weapons and the scores (admittedly green scores for now) ranged from 330-365 with an overall average of 348...not 375's...but not bad either. Hunter success for bull elk was 100%.

Before and after the hunt, I think the Walker Ranch is still worth the time and money. For what I paid and the experience and success I had, I'd pay to hunt it every year. I saw 4 bulls in the 360-375 range even with stunted "whale tales."

With all the moisture we have had so far, there won't be any stunted tines and the scores should be another 20-25 points higher...potential for some incredible bulls...and bucks, which is another story.

Besides the incredible experience that I would have had either way, I'm satisfied with the 345 I harvested.

I hope to hunt there this year for big muleys. Anybody have any experience with the bucks in ML season?
There’s always a few (not many) that hang around the Douglas mountain area. Years ago there was always a group of bachelor bucks that would lay off the side of the Douglas mountain boulevard road all August and September like clock work

Thanks for the info. I am sure it is a harder hunt then the 3rd season. They have a pretty good history for harvesting 180+ bucks in all seasons.

Thanks for the info. I am sure it is a harder hunt then the 3rd season. They have a pretty good history for harvesting 180+ bucks in all seasons.
Used to. It’s been a minute since I’ve seen a buck that really got me excited. A high 160s low 70s is a top end buck these days. Don’t get caught up in the point hype

I had the nonresident archery deer tag in 2018 and was in the unit for 17 days scouting and hunting. I loved the isolation and country, but there were definitely not as many deer I was hoping for. Most of the deer were 3 pts or crab-claw 4 pts. I found a decent buck during scouting and ended up killing him on day 10 of my hunt at less than 10 yards. As you can see he's crab-claw too!

2018-09-04 09.57.31.jpg

Last edited:
I found your post on Bowsite. Nice deer. Did see many larger? I think I will pay a trespass fee on Walker Ranch. Supposedly there are some nice bucks there and not harassed much.

Not really, I scouted for a couple days before the season. So much land to cover. I would say there are big bucks dying of old age on the BLM to the south of the ranch. Finding them is the tough part. If you have the time to scout use the ranch as your backup plan while you look the unit over. The ones on the ranch ain't going anywhere. Good luck keep me posted.

I hunted the Waker ranch 5 years ago for archery elk and two years later. with my buddy that drew the tag. Great place to be and we saw plenty of big bulls on the ranch. I almost put in for the Muzzy tag this year just to hunt there again but decided to head down to 66 3rd. I saw plenty of bucjks on the ranch and along the D MNT road. A few may have been 180 but I'm not sure as my scoring is not that good. they were nice bucks thou. I would have went the Unit 2 route but did not want to pay the going rate for the bucks I expected I would get a chance at. If I was elk hunting again Jimmy would be getting my money for sure.

>>there. The last time I
>>and it was tough the
>>elk would come off the
>>park after dark and go
>>on Walkers but all the
>>with all the cows.

I have hunted up there with a friend and for my self the past two years it's one of the best in Colorado in my opinion if you have questions please call me I would love to help.1-970-270-0552
LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-19 AT 02:22PM (MST)[p]I personally haven't been on the ranch since Wanda passed and it changed hands, but it used to be a great place. My dad killed his bull off the ranch back in 07 in little joe canyon. That being said majority of the top end bulls I've watched and helped others hunt the past decade have not lived on the walker ranch. If I had the tag personally I wouldn't pay to hunt the ranch knowing what I know now. If you do draw the tag I'd be more than willing to give you suggestions on where to hunt.

Coloradoboy
My son and I have enough points to draw the early rifle or black powder hunt in 2. I came across this post while thinking over options like the Walker Ranch. If you are willing would like to hear what you know about the unit. I usually communicate through [email protected] or my phone 970-484-2075.
Thanks,Ted

>>there. The last time I
>>and it was tough the
>>elk would come off the
>>park after dark and go
>>on Walkers but all the
>>with all the cows.

My son and I have enough points to hunt unit 2 and are considering the Walker Ranch. If you are still willing to share information about ranch I would like to talk to you.
Thanks, Ted.

My son and I have enough points to draw the early rifle or black powder hunt in 2. I came across this post while thinking over options like the Walker Ranch. If you are willing would like to hear what you know about the unit. I usually communicate through [email protected] or my phone 970-484-2075.
Thanks,Ted
I personally wouldn’t hunt the walker ranch. I’d focus on the northern end of the unit. The elk numbers aren’t as high as on Douglas mountain but the biggest bulls are consistently on the north side of hwy 318.

I finally drew unit 2 archery elk as a resident last year after putting in for half my life with 23 points. I hunted the walker ranch and had and Awesome experience!! with my best hunting partner my dad at 74 years young. I did my homework and was not even slightly disappointed!! For Archery the Walker did not disappoint. I killed the bull in my Avatar on BLM but the access through the Walker was my key!!! Pm me if you want more details on the ranch. I killed my bull before muzzleloader, so I do not know how it would be for muzzleloader or rifle. I do know that douglas mtn was getting loaded with muzzleloader camps when I left. Felt like they all were camping up there!!

My son and I have enough points to hunt unit 2 and are considering the Walker Ranch. If you are still willing to share information about ranch I would like to talk to you.
Thanks, Ted.
I was in unit 2 for 17 days in Aug-Sept 2018 on a hunt and I never saw a decent bull. Biggest bull I saw was probably a 320 inch 6 pt.

I finally drew unit 2 archery elk as a resident last year after putting in for half my life with 23 points. I hunted the walker ranch and had and Awesome experience!! with my best hunting partner my dad at 74 years young. I did my homework and was not even slightly disappointed!! For Archery the Walker did not disappoint. I killed the bull in my Avatar on BLM but the access through the Walker was my key!!! Pm me if you want more details on the ranch. I killed my bull before muzzleloader, so I do not know how it would be for muzzleloader or rifle. I do know that douglas mtn was getting loaded with muzzleloader camps when I left. Felt like they all were camping up there!!
I am new to the forum. How do I connect through personal messaging?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom