Warm weather boots?

Y

yb

What type of boots are you guys using for warmer weather? Do you like them?

Thanks
yb

I'm on my second pair of Danner Grand Slams--Non Insulated. I wear them year round and love 'em for their comfort; but the first pair only lasted about 12 mos and I'm about 6 mos into my second pair and it doesn't look like they're going to make it much beyond a year either. I think the steepness of a lot the terrain I'm hiking puts additional stress on the upper stitching (both the toe and the side, but not the heel), which seems to be the first thing to blow out. Otherwise, I don't know if it's the boot or me, but I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experience with boots that have stood up to a couple hundred miles of side hilling. If such a boot does exist, it'll probably be my next pair.

Danner Pronghorn uninsulated.

Still going after 4 hunting seasons (4 elk hunts, 4 deer hunts, 1 javelina hunt, and 1 oryx hunt...plus some misc. bird hunting).

I think their life has a lot to do with the fact that I only wear them for hunting/scouting.

They are in need of some leather treatment/sealer at this point, but I think I should be able to get at least another couple of seasons out of 'em.

I love my Danner Pronghorns. They're uninsulated, and very comfortable. Like leftturnabq, I only wear them when I'm out hunting. Great boots.

Redwing/Irish Setter Elk Trackers, uninsulated. Relatively light, very comfortable, heavy duty reinforced seams, long lasting arches, waterproof, and tall enough to offer good ankle support on steep and broken ground. They are a bit too warm for oryx hunting during the summer (temps in the 100s), but I used good socks and kept them on due to all the stinking rattlers. After 4 seasons of heavy duty upland, deer, elk, and a couple of steep sheep and goat death marches, I couldn't be happier. I do wish they were a bit more lightweight and breathed a little better but I chose ruggedness over hiking shoe features.

Thanks for the replies. I have the lowa "sheephunters" good boot but they are a bit to warm for the offseason. I may look into the lowa renegade as I do not think they are insulated. The danner proghorns I have tried on did not feel as if they would hold up very long so I passed on those. I will try on a pair of irish setters on at the redwing store and see if I like them.

I was amazed at how lightweight the Danner Pronghorns are when I first bought them, but they have held up remarkably well.

Danner Pronghorn.
Amazing comfort right out of the box, and will last as long if not longer than most good quality 'warm weather' boot.
My first pair lasted 5 seasons and a lot of miles. I'm on year three with pair #2. Dont dismiss them because they seem light. They are an extremely well put-together boot. (At least they have been for me)

------------------------------------------------------
By the way,
I live in UT.
There are a lot of UTARDS that live here.
I have also seen quite a few WYOMORONS, NEVADUHNS, COLORADORKS, ID-IOTS and AIRHEADZONANS in my travels.

Lowa Tibet GTX.

I belong to BFA (Boot Fettish Anonymous) which means I have quite a collection of boots and these are one of the best.

Grizly Hunter

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-08 AT 08:15AM (MST)[p]I have the Cabelas Uninsulated Kletterlift Boots, which are made by Danner. I have a pair in uninsulated and the 200 gram insulated. They have been holding up the last 5 years with no problems. I don't use them for big game as its usually too cold when I hunted. I used them for turkey hunting, hiking, scouting, and while playing on my ATV. I have not gotten wet in them, but I don't use them as waders either.

Just got a Cabelas e-mail flyer today.

These look like da bomb:

Cabelas Black Canyon? Boot by Meindl.

$120, but in limited sizes due to sale.

Search the Bargain Cave.

I've owned several pair of Miendl's for both myself and my boy and they are very good boots. These are specifically for warmer weather, but are no very water resistant per the customer reviews.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom