Wasatch Archery Moose Question

G

Gamekiller

Guess this could go either in the Utah, Archery, or Moose forum, but here we go.

Drew the Wasatch tag and plan to go archery for the first week or so of the hunt. I recently read an article that was written by Chuck Adams who used a 600 grain plus arrow with a 75 pound pull to go after Shiras Moose. Is it necessary to go this heavy, or do you think a lighter setup in the 380 grain arrow, 68 pound range would do the job?

Also, does anyone know of any type of packing service (other that my own back), that a guy could call if he drops one of these beasts in a god forsaken hole and needs a bit of help getting it out?

Thanks.

As for the bow - no question your second setup will do the trick. Don't expect a pass through shot on that old bullwinkle but the penetration will be good.

As for the packing problem.......welcome to moose hunting.:D All I can say is BONE IT OUT!! It's not much worse than packing out an elk except the head takes a couple of people. Good luck and post some pictures.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

your second set up will be just fine you wont get a pass threw but it will kill him just dont take a shot over 50 yards and you will be fine and for the pack out good luck its a fun job but it will be one to remember and laugh about post some pic and good luck.

AHOLELOTABULL,

Thanks for the encouragement. Based on my "gotta learn the hard way nature", I have gotten pretty proficient at boning out animals as I always seem to drop them in the most inaccesible reaches of any hunting unit. Getting in "sheep shape" literally, as I also drew a sheep tag in Oregon. Even went golden trout fishing in the Sierra this weekend with my son to give the lungs a workout. I am sure this hunt will be no different, just may take a few more loads!!

Desertpointbrian, sent you a pm..

Hunter2, thanks also. Been shooting the bow EVERYDAY, and am dialed up to 60 flat and at inclines/declines. I agree with you though, on the 50. My goal is to get inside of 40 to be safe.

Really looking forward to this one and will definately post some pics.. Thanks for the help..

Gamekiller

Gamekiller just watchout for the moose on the wasatch I have had a few close encounters with them they aren't happy when you get too close. Good luck man and hope to see some pics
Good Luck and Great Memories

Second setup will work... but be careful. My dad shot one right behind the shoulder and we thought he had enough penetration to hit both lungs. We watched it bed, then lay its head down after 30 minutes. After an hour we approached it and at 15 yards the "dead" bull came to life and charged, head down. My dad resorted to using his bow like a baseball bat to deflect the antlers. It pitched him 10' into the lake and then swam across the lake and died. It was a miracle that my dad was not seriously injured. It's amazing how much power a 50" shiras can demonstrate when wounded. I'd work on cranking the poundage up a bit and using a heavier arrow.

Thanks for the heads up guys on the moose "attitudes". This will be my first time hunting moose and it sounds a little different from the skittish mule deer I am use to chasing. I won't show those posts to my wife as she will probably make me buy life insurance!!

I am leaving this next Wednesday for the Saturday opener and plan on hunting till the season ends on the 23rd if necessary.

I have a game plan in mind for a few different areas. Hope it all works out.

Regardless, I plan on having a good time (that is until I drop one as I am going solo!!)

I have drawn some great tags in the past, and even have a sheep tag for November, but for some reason, this hunt really has me fired up. I literally can't wait.

Thanks to the guys that have given me some tips about this hunt, they are greatly appeciated.

If anyone has any updated info they wouldn't mind sharing, please give me a shout, otherwise, I will hopefully have some photos for everyone in a few weeks. Gamekiller

I had the tag last year and did shoot my bull with my bow. I will say that some of the moose as very skittish. Some will try to kill you and others will run away. Keeps you on your toes. Best of luck on your hunt.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-08 AT 10:39AM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/48c6a50c73708c2d.jpg
here are some moose from the area i was telling you about i hope you have not left yet i must warn you these pictures turned out like crap i was heading back from duschene and decided to stop by the spot. with little day light left and a very crappy camera but look close on the second pic you can see the outline of his rack and he is a monster pm me for some more info p.s disregard the date on the camera it was not set

48c6a64502a011bb.jpg

here is the big one

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom