Wasatch Buck!!!

R

ride_red

I finally got a nice Wasatch Buck. I went up yesterday after work and found a steep ravine to start working up. After a while I spotted a 20"-22" buck and decided I would go after him. I closed the distance on him to about 200 yards but didn't have anywhere else to go without him seeing me.

I sat there in the bottom of the ravine for a few minutes trying to decide how to get to him and I started to hear tons of crashing and thrashing up the hill from me. It was only about 40 to 50 yards away but it was so thick I couldn't see anything. I was pretty sure it was a couple of bucks fighting but I couldn't see them. I decided to get an arrow ready and wait to see what happens. I sat there for about 5 minutes listening to these bucks fighting. Finally, I could hear them coming at me and coming fast. I saw the first buck bust out of the trees coming straight at me about 15 yards away and the second buck was right on his tail chasing him and grunting hard. I drew back and waited for a shot on one of them. The first buck finally turned and strarted going up a steep rocky ledge and when he stopped at about 30 yards I let the air out of him. He went about 80 yards and went down. He is 28" wide. I am pumped.

When we caped him out his front leg was totally bloody under the hide with a big hole and his opposite shoulder was the same way. I figure the other buck messed him up good. He also had holes in his hide right on the top of his head from the other buck. The other buck was about 24-26" wide but had really heavy antlers. I wish I would have gotten a better look at him but I was more concerned with shooting one of them. Both bucks were wall hangers and I am glad I ended up with one of them.

I had to gut him in the dark with my maglite in my mouth. I luckily had cell phone reception and called my Dad and Cousin to come help me get him out.

I could hardly sleep last night. I am pumped!

Thanks for reading.
Jeremy

fa835164.jpg.orig.jpg

Yeah Jeremy!

That's a fantastic buck. Sounds like a great hunt. Pretty cool when they come together like that!

Cheers,
Pete

AWESOME BUCK , I THINK WE WERE ONE CANYON OVER FROM YOU AND SAW THOSE BUCKS GOING AT IT. WE RAN INTO SOME OTHER GOOD ONES JUST COULDN'T PUT THE SMACK DOWN . HOPEFULLY WE WILL IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS! EMAIL ME AND I'LL TELL YA WHERE WE WERE AT SEE IF ITS THE SAME DEER!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-03 AT 10:16AM (MST)[p]Thanks guys.
I'll try and get some pictures posted from up on the mountain as soon as I get my film back in about an hour. I hope they turned out because he had a huge neck!

Antlerpinnacle,
I sent you an email to your address that you have listed on here - I think it is trailmaker or something like that.

Thanks Deerking for fixing my picture.

Later,
Jeremy

It just doesn't seem right shooting a big buck like that the same year your hunting partner moves out of state. If I didn't know better I'd say it was your hunting partners fault you missed all those other big bucks. Congrats on finally drawing blood on "the big one" now maybe you can quit thinking about all those other big bucks running over the ridge with an arrow stuck in the ground. Nice buck big brother.

It's a ball hunting the rut, nice deer, Now you can go back up and find the other one and get some pictures of the one that kicked your bucks butt That should be fun too..

Somone finally got one of the what like Million big bastards off the wasatch? Congrats bud.

-Cass

Thanks again DeerKing for posting the other picture for me. I like that picture a lot more than the first one I had to post.

Jeremy:

Outstanding archery buck! Congratulations, I'd still be pumped too. Thanks for sharing.

BOHNTR )))------------->

Awesome buck jeremy. I still think thet the W.F.E.A.A. is one of the best units in the country. I've seen more big bucks come out of there than I can remember, and you can't beat the long season. Makes me wish I hadn't traded my bow for a smokepole.

Anyone want to trade a bow for a laser printer? just thought I'd try.

sweet!!!!!! is all i can say, that is a very nice buck with a bow, i have a tag but trying to finish a basement so have not ever been out this late. i thought the rut would be mostly over by now. How late does it usually go on the wasatch?

Congrats on a GREAT BUCK ! As I read I was actually visualizing the hunt , YOU D-MAN , thats a beautiful buck , good job keeping focused during all that excitement , again congrats ....Jan bow hunt is just around the corner down here , reading stuff like this keeps me jazzed , thanks for sharing ...NMhuntnutt

That I a real nice buck! I would like to see the one that was wailing on him.

Jake

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-03 AT 07:57PM (MST)[p]Jeremy, Nice buck and congratulations!
Great pictures too.
Jeff

Great buck red, it looks a lot like the one Gerald shot up there a few years ago.

Way to go Jeremy!
My brother Cory and I killed a buck last year in almost the same situation. We were about 125 yards from two great bucks that were fighting. When we neared the bucks we found blood all over the snow. The smaller of the bucks (23 inch 4 point) had really been beat up. We ended up killing him and when we skinned him out we found puncture marks all over his body! We also found that one of his lungs had been punctured as well! It seems that maybe we just finished him off. Since then we have referred to him as the "gore buck"! It was quite a hunt! Watching those big buggers in the rut is sure a blast! Hunting them is even better! Have a great day and congrats again on a great buck!

Chad

Way to go Red! Great story and pics...I just got my first bow and can only hope to stick a buck of that caliber some day. By the way you must have icewater running thru your veins-way to stay focused!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom