Wasatch Bull Moose

CS88

Hey guys. I accidentally got lucky and drew a wasatch bull moose for 2023. I could not be more excited. I would not consider myself to be a lucky person and this was a huge shock. I’m going to start hunting with my bow and see where that gets me. If anyone knows anything about the area, I’ll be spending a bunch of time in it this summer??

Last edited:
if you don’t know how to do the cow whine and bull grunt call already, Google search some YouTube videos and practice them a bunch. Also find a dried out scapula bone from a moo cow or elk or something large. During mid to late September do a bunch of calling sequences with the cow whine and bull grunts and rake the scapula on brush and trees. If there is a bull within hearing distance, he will be making a visit and sometimes very quickly ?

On my brother’s Utah moose hunt last year, we called in several bulls, including the one he killed with his bow at 20 yards by doing those calling sequences. It is VERY effective on rutting bull moose!!

Hey guys. I accidentally got lucky and drew a wasatch bull moose for 2023. I could not be more excited. I would not consider myself to be a lucky person and this was a huge shock. I’m going to start hunting with my bow and see where that gets me. If anyone knows anything about the area, I’ll be spending a bunch of time in it this summer??
I have never been accidentally lucky! I expect to get lucky every year in the draw, but I've never had an accident! :ROFLMAO:
Congratulations CS88.
I'd get to know where the moose are hanging out this summer, especially the cows, but I have found that once the rut starts the bulls can wander miles trying to find a hot lady.
It should be a great "lucky" adventure.

I've been accidentally lucky a few times. Where do you think my kids came from?

LBH is right, there's no accident because you planned to apply and then got lucky in the draw. Well done moose hunter!

Huge congrats on getting the tag. Drawing is exciting but the scouting and hunting will be "totally awesome dude".

Lots of areas hold moose and I'm willing to share with you where we've seen them up there. My buddy mentored my grandson on a cow moose hunt last year so our intel is pretty fresh. I'm looking out my office window at the unit as we speak!

Zeke

I have no idea how good this young bull is going to be but he was at the fire pit at my cabin today.
The wife thought it was pretty dang cool.
Of course, I was in the valley working?
Zeke

B8310054-8EDA-4FDF-8A3E-6DE46B97F5D1.jpeg

I've been accidentally lucky a few times. Where do you think my kids came from?

LBH is right, there's no accident because you planned to apply and then got lucky in the draw. Well done moose hunter!

Huge congrats on getting the tag. Drawing is exciting but the scouting and hunting will be "totally awesome dude".

Lots of areas hold moose and I'm willing to share with you where we've seen them up there. My buddy mentored my grandson on a cow moose hunt last year so our intel is pretty fresh. I'm looking out my office window at the unit as we speak!

Zeke
This would be a great start for you

Here is a short video from my Brother’s moose hunt last year in Utah. He passed on this bull but we called him in from two ridges away using grunts, moans, and scraping a dried scapula on brush. The bull came in quick!!

Prefer not to say the the unit out of respect to a few friends who are getting close to drawing soon. It is not the Wasatch unit.

Here is another cool video calling in the bull my Brother actually shot. Unfortunately, I thought I hit record on my phone at the beginning of the calling sequence when the bull first came in and my bro smoked him with a complete pass through at 20 yards but I did not. This video is after the bull took the first arrow and I called him back in for another shot.

Last edited:
I drew that tag in 2021. I’d be happy to share my onX map with all the different bulls I scouted in the summer. I’d also be happy to take you up to the area where I killed mine! DM me your # if you’re interested.

That hunt can be tough if you’re focusing your time going from area to area where everyone and their mother claimed to see a “giant” moose. In reality most of the moose are very similar in size, with only a few bruisers killed each year.

Definitely spend a lot of time up there this summer coming up with your own game plan.

The monster muleys community helped me so I’d love to do it as well!

I drew that tag in 2021. I’d be happy to share my onX map with all the different bulls I scouted in the summer. I’d also be happy to take you up to the area where I killed mine! DM me your # if you’re interested.

That hunt can be tough if you’re focusing your time going from area to area where everyone and their mother claimed to see a “giant” moose. In reality most of the moose are very similar in size, with only a few bruisers killed each year.

Definitely spend a lot of time up there this summer coming up with your own game plan.

The monster muleys community helped me so I’d love to do it as well!
PM sent. Thank you!! +1 for the MM guys

Nice work boys!
Moose are fun to hunt, especially when you find success.
It looks like you "accidentally got lucky" again. ;)
I'd love to hear more about the adventure.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom