Wasatch Early Rifle Elk

c86man3

I drew the Wasatch early rifle elk tag this year. I've done a fair amount of scouting already but I haven't seen many elk yet. Is this normal for this time of year? Will it be easier to find them during the hunt (i.e. during the rut)?

I'd love to PM or even talk on the phone with people who have had this tag before to hear what tactics worked best and what kind of terrain they found the most elk. If you are willing to share spots that would be great too.

(Also, this looks like a first post, but my account must have gotten deactivated from not logging in for too long)

Thanks

I drew the Wasatch early rifle elk tag this year. I've done a fair amount of scouting already but I haven't seen many elk yet. Is this normal for this time of year? Will it be easier to find them during the hunt (i.e. during the rut)?

I'd love to PM or even talk on the phone with people who have had this tag before to hear what tactics worked best and what kind of terrain they found the most elk. If you are willing to share spots that would be great too.

(Also, this looks like a first post, but my account must have gotten deactivated from not logging in for too long)

Thanks
You should be able to find bulls pretty easily this time of year. Get to your glassing spots early, usually this time of year they hit the trees for the day right when the sun comes up. Like Berry said, we have a lot of nice bulls on the cams this year.

My dad and I both have the archery tag this year. We are seeing an absolute boatload on our cams so far. Same with glassing early in the mornings, every ridge has bulls it seems like.

I went out again last night and setup another camera. Then I glassed till dark and didn't see any elk. I saw tons of deer. I'm sure I'll run into the elk eventually, but I just haven't found the right place yet.

I went out again last night and setup another camera. Then I glassed till dark and didn't see any elk. I saw tons of deer. I'm sure I'll run into the elk eventually, but I just haven't found the right place yet.
Start looking somewhere else, you should be able to easily find elk. Keep in mind they are going to be at least 1 mile from a road. Things change from now till your hunt starts, but you should be finding elk. Go somewhere else!

Update. I got this bull opening day. We called him into 50 yards - he came crashing up the hill to us. The spot we found him in was shared with me from someone on MonsterMuleys. I really appreciate the advice I got through PMs on here.

He's not a monster, but he's a mature 6 point which is what I was looking for.

137890.png

Update. I got this bull opening day. We called him into 50 yards - he came crashing up the hill to us. The spot we found him in was shared with me from someone on MonsterMuleys. I really appreciate the advice I got through PMs on here.

137890.png
Congrats on getting it done on a bull you are happy with. Thnaks for sharing.

137890.png
Congrats!
That’s a heck of a nice bull you harvested. Here’s another story of a hunter on MM that helped another hunter to success! Way to go my brother!

Joe

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom