Wasatch Moose

skyhawk

I drew Wasatch moose as a non-resident and I'm trying to put together a plan for this fall. I need some opinions from you guys. I'm in Nevada so I need to be as productive as possible during my scouting trips. I was thinking late July and late August for 5-7 days each time. Based on my research I'm thinking I will focus on figuring out where the cows are hanging out rather than locating the bulls. I will be hunting the last 2 weeks or so of the hunt so the rut should be in full swing. It's my understanding that the bulls probably won't be in the same area during the rut as summer. What do you guys think?

I wouldn't even scout it. Save your days off for the hunt. They move a lot. You will have the rut in your favor 100% if you need some help let me know I would be happy to help out as much as I can.

I appreciate the offer. I will take any help I can get. This will most likely be my only chance to hunt moose in my life so I want to make the most of it. I plan on hunting 2 full weeks timing the rut the best I can. I was thinking Oct 1-15.

Learn the roads and property boundaries on scouting trip. Do internet research on past year hunters & hunts on unit- research on here and other hunt forums and google earth to learn area. Come cover ground on your hunt, have fun and don't put pressure on yourself during the hunt. Meet people and ask if folks are seeing any moose while you are hunting and make great memories!

The population has rebounded some in the past few years. I think you will hit the rut pretty good on your planned days.

You will also have the possible benefit of having the elk hunt going. Most people would probably be willing to tell you if they saw a moose. Just remember not to get too caught up in chasing leads.

Don’t be afraid to shoot me a PM. I will help in any way I can.

Skyhawk: Were you the bonus tag, or random?? Have 21 NR points now, but don't think I will ever be around long enough for a bonus tag.

A couple years ago hiking up Spanish Fork Peak I ran into two real good bulls. You would need a few horses or the Dallas Cowboys Defensive line to pack one out of there.

Last edited:
Learn the roads and property boundaries on scouting trip. Do internet research on past year hunters & hunts on unit- research on here and other hunt forums and google earth to learn area. Come cover ground on your hunt, have fun and don't put pressure on yourself during the hunt. Meet people and ask if folks are seeing any moose while you are hunting and make great memories!

I'm really familiar with the Wasatch just not the areas where most of the moose are. Like you said I mostly just need to get up in some new areas and learn the roads. I'm dieing to get out and start scouting.

Big Cottonwood Canyon holds a lot of bulls. One morning on the Extended in early October, counted over a dozen bulls from a vantage point overlooking two drainages.
Only issue is you'll be packing it out on your back......

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom