Wasatch Muzzy Bull Found

HoofingIt

I found a decent expired bull yesterday that I suspect was shot by a muzzleloader hunter up in the current creek area. Happy to get this bull into the hands of the rightful owner. Shoot me a PM if you hit one up there but lost him.

Hope The Guy that Shot it Punched His Tag and Hopefully Not on a 2nd Bull!

Hope You can Get the Bull Back to the Permit Holder!

Did You Notify the DWR?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

>
>Hope The Guy that Shot it
>Punched His Tag and Hopefully
>Not on a 2nd Bull!
>
>
>Hope You can Get the Bull
>Back to the Permit Holder!
>
>
>Did You Notify the DWR?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Eh,, If I didn't find one I'd pound the next one that came along. CHIT happens.

?Eh,, If I didn't find one I'd pound the next one that came along. CHIT happens?

That post there says a lot about a guy...

I am currently trying to find my elk that i hit on this year's muzzle loader. message me I would like talk with you and see if the bull you happens to be the bull I shot and have been looking for.

Hopefully someone gets some answers. Elk are very tough critters. I am a full time taxidermist and have been for 7 years. You wouldn't believe how many elk I find old projectiles in. Rifle bullets, broadheads and muzzy slugs. There are several every year.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-19 AT 01:09PM (MST)[p]Hopefully The hunter can be found. To hunt or not to hunt after drawing blood but an unsuccessful recovery is a tough question. I think the answer depends on a variety of factors - an idea where the animal was hit and effort put into the recovery to name 2. if the location of the hit is unknown, there is a small blood trail and the animal is followed a considerable distance with every effort made to recover without success then perhaps a continuation of the hunt could be justified.

I'm shocked... and this was just for the Current Creek Area. Everyone pinging me (like 7 at this point) seems to have just shot one so at least we're not killing a couple bulls per hunter.

I was doing some research on an Arizona archery elk tag I drew several years ago and was calling a list of people who had drawn the tag the year prior. Out of 4 hunters, 3 of them admitted wounding and not recovering bulls. One guy hit 2 and the other two guys each hit one.
That's four wounded and not recovered bulls between 4 guys. Who knows what died and what survived.
I had no idea prior to this that wounding was so prevalent. (I'm sure it happens with every weapon type also.)

>It's obvious the non recovery issue
>is more common with archery.
>

??? Why is that obvious? If you are referring to the posts in this thread, only one is related to archery - all others are related to muzzy.

I would venture to guess that most close range hunters actually see if they hit an animal versus long range rifle shots where if the animal doesn't pile up right away or a ton of blood on the ground, they assume they must of missed and move on.

Also, archery hunters are typically first in the field, so other muzzy and or rifle hunters may see those wounded (or found dead) animals during their following hunts before they eventually die of their wounds or winter or natural cause. Rifle hunts are usually last and those wounded animals aren't seen until the next year as a pile of bones.

I hunt with all three weapons so I'm not arguing any one over another, but I'm just questioning generalizations.

3 archery hunters and 5 muzzy hunters have pinged me... these suckers are tough and can go for a bit after being hit good. No judgement from me or criticism but I've been really surprised to see how many guys have not been able to locate/retrieve the animal they hit... I'm just praying there's some good bulls left for my teenage son on the late hunt!

Don?t worry flatbrimmer you can hit many more... after all your brim is the size of a 1976 Cadillac hood...

I am watching this thread with interest and shared sadness like most of you, but I have to say, something about the ability to post "lost & found" on wounded big game is not sitting right with me. If you wound, and lose and animal, I think it's best to consider it lost unless you put in the time and find it. If that tears you up for years not knowing what happened, all the better. What is the end-game from this, that the person who lost the bull initially gets to go grab the head or cut off the antlers? I know some do, but don't believe for a second that MOST people who wound and lose are punching their tag, so encouraging possessing two+ animals (or heads/antlers from those animals) from a season potentially is definitely not the message I think we should send is ok. Lost is lost, it does happen. it should suck as bad as it can, even if its a total fluke and accident and maybe as a community we shouldn't be a support network for everybody's lost racks. Sorry if I am off-base on this, just seeing a lot of it lately.

Here?s the deal for me Katoom... I look at it this way. My son (18 years old) drew a late season Wasatch tag this year and I know if the tables were turned and he hit a bull and we searched our butts off but never found him then I'd be sick about it! But if a guy found him and was able to at least help my son retrieve the antlers then we'd be incredibly happy and thankful (Call me a trophy hunter on an LE hunt for wanting the antlers... that's fine with me. We absolutely are hunting for the biggest bull we can find.). I found this bull and could have easily waited until the spring to go back up and claim him but I know the time, emotional commitment, money, years of waiting, etc are all huge commitments and feel like the right thing to do is to get him back to the hunter that shot him for him.

Also, I COMPLETELY disagree that anything hunting should ?suck as bad as it can? and I also do believe the hunting community SHOULD be a support network for each other. I may not have posted a bunch on this website but I've been coming here for 12-15 years and have learned a bunch from a lot of good dudes here that help each other and work as a support system for each other all the time!

Last thing... the retrieval process includes working with the DNR (in this case Jake) to retrieve the antlers. They WILL NOT allow you to retrieve the antlers if you harvested another animal so that notion of someone possessing 2+ animals is completely off base.

Sorry for the rant but a guy telling me not to do what I consider the right thing but instead to let it ?tear someone up for years? when I can help a guy out hit a nerve.

Rant over;)

Man I do sometimes have a knack for eliciting whiny responses from people from some of my comments and am usually sorry about that and
maybe it's my tone, or word choice but its NOT usually my intent. but on this one, I could care less if I hit your nerve. Go cut off your big a** antlers from your gut shot bull. Mount them with someone elses cape and brag to your friends for all eternity about your hard-earned trophy. I'd be ashamed every time I looked at it, but that's just me and the FACT that unless you get to eat it, it WAS NOT recovered. Shoot straight (er, I guess) my friend.

That's great be ashamed. Lots of hunters end of purchasing capes for all different reasons but I guess that makes their hard earned trophies worthless. Glad I'm not a sentimental hunter that sounds miserable.

Hoof, in my opinion I think you are doing the right thing. people make mistakes sometimes the shot isn't the PERFECT shot and sometimes these dang animals just don't want to give up the ghost.

I have seen numerous times where THE PERFECT SHOT just doesn't bleed and if the animal didn't die in sight it would have been near impossible to find it.

Nothing in this world is Guaranteed. but what I can say is that i guarantee is that no matter what I would be doing the same exact thing and try to help find who shot a bull and let them know I found it and where maybe the long days and nights searching and countless replays in the back of their head of the shot would pay off.

I am certainly not like Katoom or see it the way he does but I will say this even if Katoom you shot and lost an animal I would help you locate it if I were to find it because stuff happens things go bad and we as hunters can help EACH OTHER no matter that situation.

I sure hope the person who shot this bull gets his relief and hopefully he didn't just say well there is always another bull. And I don't mean to single anyone out as I just did but we as hunters are a minority in this world and we need to stick with each other or we will dig our own graves and become divided.

Hoof let us know if you ever find the hunter who claims the bull and everyone else good luck with all your hunts and remember without each other we as a group are nothing.

i definitely know what you're talking about replaying events leading up to not being able to find an animal, I have been looking at onX and Google earth planning my search efforts for tomorrow morning in Hope's to find my elk.

Katoom, ive read your post and I think your saying that wounding an animal sucks,totally agree, been there! Watched a great buck take two Powerbelts and by the time we got to him he'd made his way into cedars minutes before a snowstorm, yes we lost him and yes I spent days in the spring looking for him, that was 8 years ago and it still hurts, but if someone would have found him and I had his horns, it would definitely take the sting out of that day

>Katoom, ive read your post and
>I think your saying that
>wounding an animal sucks,totally agree,
>been there! Watched a
>great buck take two Powerbelts
>and by the time we
>got to him he'd made
>his way into cedars minutes
>before a snowstorm, yes we
>lost him and yes I
>spent days in the spring
>looking for him, that was
>8 years ago and it
>still hurts, but if someone
>would have found him and
>I had his horns, it
>would definitely take the sting
>out of that day

Thanks for seeing at least a little bit of what I was initially saying. Look. My last post was harsh and its a new day and I am not in a mood today. Of course wounded animals happen. And it sucks when it does. And by saying it "should" I didn't make that so - just what I always thought was a universal feeling. Here's a cathartic moment for you... I once wounded and lost a bull. I have chewed on that in private and NEVER said those words to anyone until today. It was my fault, a bad shot too far back I think and I pursued him too soon and jumped him out of a bed. Never had a drop of sign beyond that and miles of black timber in all direction. Went back and searched a second day and also hoped birds or coyotes would tip me off. Never found him. I think about it constantly, 20 years later. I wonder where the bull went, where I hit it, why I couldnt find it. I worry I did not search hard enough or long enough. So I understand the dilemma what it means to put in the work and have it happen with no closure. But I remain uncomfortable with using message forums to post about lost bulls and deadheads found and requests for same or searches for "rightful owners". I too would appreciate help searching for a wounded animal and would offer the same. But once its over, i.e., no hot leads on a trail, search is exhausted and there is little or no chance at recovering the meat assuming the animal died within a day of last sighting/clue, I'd probably limit the remaining searching to myself or those closest. And if I found the head or if someone else in that limited search did, I'd feel the same sense of closure that everyone wants but could never really consider anything about that hunt a success. Despite all the work, or heartache. Putting an arrow or bullet into an animal is only part of owning that trophy. And I earned my opinion on it the hard way.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-19 AT 06:19PM (MST)[p]IMO. You are doing the right thing.
10 years ago I posted on this sight that I lost a bull on Mt. nebo. My search didn't end after season closed either.
I went out looking for birds and stink during the limited rifle hunt.
Then out of nowhere I got a reply from a non resident hunting muzzleloader elk season. asking me where I hit the bull and what drainage. And how big and how many points.
I told him where. Then he called me and said I found yr bull. I was almost just as excited as after I shot it. Bulls are tough animals!
They can run away and bleed enternally and can be lost easily.
I think it's great for what you are doing. Sometimes people need a little help from other hunters.
I still consider myself lucky for finding mine 3 weeks later.

I'm with Katoom 100%

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-19 AT 10:54AM (MST)[p]So did the right guy/gal get in touch with you and claim the bull? I could care less about the whiny b!?ches that say you shouldn't help find the hunter who pulled the trigger. You are totally doing the right thing in trying to help.

I've heard that social media has changed hunting. It's changed things for the better, it's changed things for the worse. It's great that through a hunt form like this you can reach out and try and help out a hunter that's lost something that i consider a once in a life time trophy. We can build points all across the west to hunt elk and wait a life time to pull a tag. I hope these hunters that lost bulls can find closure from what was obviously not a very fun hunt. I think we forget we aren't robotic machines!!! Can?t shoot 10/10 every time. Maybe at the range but doing it in the field, different story!! How hard is it to find a flat place to lay prone? How easy is it to crack shots off at 500 yards with a 20 mph wind storm? Throw in elevation and a cold morning and you got some recipes calling for an issue if you don't know what your doin and that's the problem not even everyone knows what their doin. I'll admit I'm not a pro, I'm only human.

I guess the worst part about social media and the internet hunters aren't always the ones with the ?flat brims? it's the ones with the big a## heads!

Sometimes the narcissistic opinions get old!!!

Seems there can't be any form of respect in this world.

Hopefully some of these trophy?s can be recovered.

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-19
>AT 10:54?AM (MST)

>
>So did the right guy/gal get
>in touch with you and
>claim the bull? I
>could care less about the
>whiny b!?ches that say you
>shouldn't help find the hunter
>who pulled the trigger.
>You are totally doing the
>right thing in trying to
>help.

I agree

>I've heard that social media has
>changed hunting. It's changed things
>for the better, it's changed
>things for the worse. It's
>great that through a hunt
>form like this you can
>reach out and try and
>help out a hunter that's
>lost something that i consider
>a once in a life
>time trophy. We can build
>points all across the west
>to hunt elk and wait
>a life time to pull
>a tag. I hope these
>hunters that lost bulls can
>find closure from what was
>obviously not a very fun
>hunt. I think we forget
>we aren't robotic machines!!! Can?t
>shoot 10/10 every time. Maybe
>at the range but doing
>it in the field, different
>story!! How hard is it
>to find a flat place
>to lay prone? How easy
>is it to crack shots
>off at 500 yards with
>a 20 mph wind
>storm? Throw in elevation and
>a cold morning and you
>got some recipes calling for
>an issue if you don't
>know what your doin and
>that's the problem not even
>everyone knows what their doin.
>I'll admit I'm not a
>pro, I'm only human.
>
>I guess the worst part about
>social media and the internet
>hunters aren't always the ones
>with the ?flat brims? it's
>the ones with the big
>a## heads!
>
>Sometimes the narcissistic opinions get old!!!
>
>
>Seems there can't be any form
>of respect in this world.
>
>
>Hopefully some of these trophy?s can
>be recovered.

++++

Not every scenario goes as planned. I shot a bull through an 80 yard opening in the timber with a black powder and, once the smoke cleared, only saw it for a split second as it headed out. After reloading, not quite sure I had hit the elk, waiting a moment for the hopeful hit to take affect, and finding the area the bull was in when I shot, I did not find blood. Luckily I found the tracks heading out and followed them for about 20-25 yards before finding any blood and then only another 15 or so to find the kill. I was lucky to be able to find the tracks as there had been many elk in that same area. I was super surprised to not find blood earlier, especially after the quick death and shot placement. I totally get how someone can lose a kill and can imagine the sorrow that would follow. I would want closure if I had not been able to find my elk. Good job HoofingIt!

> Why would you take a
>hunter to a dead bull
>when he's already punched his
>tag on another bull?

WHY WOULDN'T YOU?

If you know for sure that they killed the animal wouldn't that be the right thing to do?
What if the shoe was on the other foot and it was you that lost an animal for what ever reason? Wouldn't it be nice to at least get the horns?

As I have said in some of my other posts ( It seems that these days respect for others has gone out the window) It's so sad!!

Lol....respect a guy with an elk mount on the wall that rotted in the field and might or might not be his?..

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

If you wound one and choose to keep hunting and then tag another bull trying to recover the first one you wounded is wrong in my opinion.

I was on the Wasatch on the rifle hunt this year, listened to a guy sling 6-7 shots at a bull, Then caught radio cross talk of him asking his buddy run more bullets down the mountain to him because he was going to run out, in the end they got there bull.

I think most hunters through out there life will feel the pain of a bad shot and losing an animal, I know i have. but if you put the effort in to find it days,weeks,months after instead of just tagging another animal, Weather you or someone else finds it for you I think you deserve it. And if you looked at it with out feeling pain or regret are you really a hunter or are your just a shooter.

I also know a guy that put 3 arrows in three different bucks in six days on the Puns. last year. Before finally shooting a forth and killing it. kinda wanted to lay one upside his head when he told me all about it.

In the end there are ethical hunters, the ones somewhere in the middle, then other guys

Sorry for the late responses everyone... A thorough investigation with a DWR officer and a hunter that almost pinpointed the located resulted in the recovery being given to him! I was so happy this worked out. For all the nay sayers... I appreciate your "help and valuable input" in helping resolve this situation to help a fellow hunter out;).

Good luck to everyone in the 2020 draws... I think I'll be hunting the Wasatch again!!

Awesome. Glad the hunter was found and hopefully has some memories of his hunt even if it was not the ultimate outcome.

Lol endless entertainment. We as hunters are doin the antis job by cannibalizing ourselves. When we eventually lose our right we can partly thank our selves.

Gotta say that I am with Katoom on this one.

I have lost a bull before, and it made me sick to my stomach to know that I probably wasted an animal. I searched for two days hoping he might still be alive but never found him. I think that if wasting a bull really bothers you, you are probably going to do whatever you can to try and make sure it never happens again. If it does not bother you so much, and you still receive some happiness from just recovering the antlers, well odds are you are not going to deeply analyze why it happened so you can hopefully avoid doing it again in the future. It bothers me enough that I definitely would not want to advertise it.

For me personally, I could never take any pride in finding a bull I wasted. It would only help in me having closure as to what happened.

These are just my opinions, and how I view it.

To each their own.

I, for one, appreciate any help I can get to help recover an animal that I've hit and lost. In my 60+ years of hunting deer, elk, and pronghorn (most of it archery), I've blown some shots or had them "jump the string" and have had to ask for help tracking them. Some we recovered and some we didn't, but I can honesty say I've/we've put in the effort on every one of them. And, since I'm really not a "trophy" hunter, it wasn't about the horns or antlers. What I'm after is the meat, if possible, the knowledge of what happened, and the recovery of the arrow and/or broadhead. And I use every tactic I can think of to track it down, ie; visible blood and/or track trail, binoculars, toilet paper marking trail, peroxide, night blood tracking light, grid search, smell, and magpie/crow/raven flights and calls. So, if someone were to tell me they found one in the areas I hunted, I'd be very grateful!

Last edited:
I'm shocked... and this was just for the Current Creek Area. Everyone pinging me (like 7 at this point) seems to have just shot one so at least we're not killing a couple bulls per hunter.
It would scare us all to death if we knew how many animals are lost each year.
I personally know a guy who stuck 3 good solid bulls on the Dutton with arrows before he finally found number 4.

how is trump going to wreck my environment?
Boomer - Has Trump done anything good for your environment?
He is allowing to coal companies to fill in areas with coal ash....waterways. He is now allowing companies to kill birds and wildlife with no requirement to fix problems with the way they want to do business to make more money....think ponds at mines and drilling areas. Changed to air cleaning that coal plants had to do that allow the plants to put out more fine particles into the air....expect to kill about 1500 more people a year with that one.
The list goes on.

He is allowing to coal companies to fill in areas with coal ash....waterways. He is now allowing companies to kill birds and wildlife with no requirement to fix problems with the way they want to do business to make more money....think ponds at mines and drilling areas. Changed to air cleaning that coal plants had to do that allow the plants to put out more fine particles into the air....expect to kill about 1500 more people a year with that one.
The list goes on.

Can anybody make any sense of what is typed above? I think to not over lunch the elk and dead tomorrow things in blue. Trump is badddddd....

The list goes on.

Go vote for Bernie man! Do you believe everything you read about
clean air? Do these partials really exist? Or does is it logical so they use the narrative to further their agenda on climate change. Which is a shame! Critical thinking you should try it.

The list goes on.
Not "CoalAsh" OMG first CoronaVirus and now CoalAsh~ What a jackwagon~ Actually I didnt seen any Coal Ash on my mountains, did you? I did see some dumb ash's up there. Happened to see some birds and even caught some fish that were pretty tasty- Both Mercury and Coal Ash free. Only 1500 less people? I would think he could do better than that though. Im just glad your not driving a car, cause that would surely suck for the all the plant particles.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom