Wasatch muzzy or late bull?

mlycrzy

Very Active Member
My wife has enough points to be in the running for one of these tags.
We live on the San Juan unit but she would rather hunt now than wait 10+ years for just the late tag.

I’ve been doing a lot of research and there are pros and cons to each one I believe. The muzzy hunt could be fun with the possibility of chasing rutting bulls but there were roughly 50 less tags issued for the late hunt last year so less pressure. We‘re leaning towards the muzzy hunt but haven’t ruled out the late either.

In the elk section here there is a a thread entitled "S.W. Desert late, Plateau Boulder late, or Wasatch early." The author is asking a similar question to yours. There's lots of good advice there and discussion on Muzzleloader hunts. Hossblur offered some very good advice that few consider. Basically you sometimes chance your points on a late hunt if old man winter comes early and you get snowed out. Could be a bigger consideration with your wife involved. It's worth a read.

I'd go with any hunt in the rut. I've gone on some muzzy deer hunts just to be in an LE elk unit during the elk rut and experience rutting, bugging bulls... I can't imagine a Nov elk hunt for reclusive bulls, in the snow, could be more exciting than that. :):):)

I'd go with any hunt in the rut. I've gone on some muzzy deer hunts just to be in an LE elk unit during the elk rut and experience rutting, bugging bulls... I can't imagine a Nov elk hunt for reclusive bulls, in the snow, could be more exciting than that. :):):)
Good point.

Bugging?

Or!

Bugling?:D

I have helped with both muzzy and late hunts on the Wasatch unit. If I was picking between one or the other, I'd pick the muzzy, personally.

That said, the late hunt was fun too, it was just different. We saw a lot of bulls each day on the late hunt too. Be prepared to have less access to places, but that isn't all that bad at times either.

Compared to the overall population, not many people get to experience being up close and personal with elk in the rut. It's one of my favorite things to do! And I've never held a tag myself for the experience...

I've only been on one late hunt on the Manti but I have to say that finding mature bulls that time of the year was brutal for us.
Unless you have access to private land that big bulls consistently move to that time of year, or you really know some late season hidey holes, I'd definitely go with a muzzy hunt.

The wasatch late hunt is less of a hunt and more of a shoot, the wasatch muzz is a rut experience for pressured bulls so it’s very much a ‘hunt’. Depends on what level of physical exertion your wife wants to/is able to put into a hunt. Killing a good bull on either hunt requires time, patience, and a bit of luck.

My opinion on it is the muzz is much harder but more fun, the late offers a better shot at a mature bull, but lots of driving and glass work and being able to shoot 5-800 yrds is almost a necessity.

berrysblaster, what do you know about the Wasatch?!?!?!? ?

There is nobody, and I mean nobody, who has a better read on that unit overall. I'd listen when berrysblaster speaks about the Satch.

I had the muzzy tag last year and was very happy with the hunt. I was hunting a 350”+ and a 360”-370” bull that I saw on the first day, and ended up killing a high 330’s bull after I couldn’t turn them back up. I passed over 30 bulls and was into screaming bulls every day.

1FF97B57-0A3C-43FB-861D-C1D4AA87347B.jpeg

I had the muzzy tag last year and was very happy with the hunt. I was hunting a 350”+ and a 360”-370” bull that I saw on the first day, and ended up killing a high 330’s bull after I couldn’t turn them back up. I passed over 30 bulls and was into screaming bulls every day.

View attachment 66207
Congrats! Sounds like a great hunt. How many points did that hunt use to take? Likely going up now

View attachment 66207
That’s a great bull.

Wouldn’t be surprised if this coming season we find ourselves hunting 1 power and open sights again. Just an FYI

That won’t happen for 2022. They would need to pass that rule before the application period if they were going to do that. (Assuming the WB cares about people…)

But for 2023, I think that’s a real possibility.

If they go back to primitive muzzle loaders it will just make the rifle hunts more popular and point creep will be worse for those hunts.

Not sure why there is such a big movement to change the rules on everything now? People invest two decades into building points to draw a tag. They should be able to hunt the way the hunt was advertised from the beginning. I would be annoyed if I spent 20 + years gearing up for a hunt only to have some complainer start a movement to fundamentally change the hunt I was once excited for. If weapon restrictions change there should at least be a grandfather clause in place for those who are invested.

If they go back to primitive muzzle loaders it will just make the rifle hunts more popular and point creep will be worse for those hunts.

Not sure why there is such a big movement to change the rules on everything now? People invest two decades into building points to draw a tag. They should be able to hunt the way the hunt was advertised from the beginning. I would be annoyed if I spent 20 + years gearing up for a hunt only to have some complainer start a movement to fundamentally change the hunt I was once excited for. If weapon restrictions change there should at least be a grandfather clause in place for those who are invested.

If guys have 20 points, then the rules would be the same as when they started applying. Scopes were limited to 1x on a muzzleloader before the change was made to allow higher magnification scopes 6-7 years ago.

If guys have 20 points, then the rules would be the same as when they started applying. Scopes were limited to 1x on a muzzleloader before the change was made to allow higher magnification scopes 6-7 years ago.
Thats true. I guess my point is that people are deciding what to apply for based on the rules. If they keep changing the rules its kind frustrating for those who have spent the time and money applying for it in the first place.

I know hunting isn't really a guaranteed deal anyways but still feels wrong to me to keep messing with the rules year to year especially when there is time and money involved.

Thats true. I guess my point is that people are deciding what to apply for based on the rules. If they keep changing the rules its kind frustrating for those who have spent the time and money applying for it in the first place.

I know hunting isn't really a guaranteed deal anyways but still feels wrong to me to keep messing with the rules year to year especially when there is time and money involved.

I understand the frustration. I think we as hunters have all been frustrated with decisions that are being made lately.

One thing I’ve noticed, is that some guys are going to kill with whatever weapon and restrictions are out there. Others will struggle with the most advanced weapons.

The wasatch is a fun unit and either hunt will give you memories that will last a lifetime. Have fun and hunt hard! Best of luck in the draws!

Ended up going with the muzzy hunt. With 10 points she should draw. Thank you for all of the suggestions and input.

And If It Passes in 2023 Somebody is Gonna SCREAM & BAWL & Get it Reversed!

That won’t happen for 2022. They would need to pass that rule before the application period if they were going to do that. (Assuming the WB cares about people…)

But for 2023, I think that’s a real possibility.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom