Wasatch unit, What am I looking at?

nocwalker

Sitting here in Pa, searching, looking, talking ---Researching for my Wasatch unit elk archery hunt this year.

I,m looking at goole earth photos and was wondering if you guys could tell me what I might be looking at. I've been disecting areas in the middle of the unit around Strawberry. When I pull in closer to see as much detail before it gets fuzzy I can see the large trees and somewhat the dark timber. I can see the sandy spots and or rocky areas. But, in the gaps of the trees I see green areas without trees. Would any of you guys happen to know if this is grass? or low to the ground vegitation? or might it be 6' high vegitation that I won't even be able to get through?

I can't tell from the view on google earth.

Thanks nocwalker

The spots in the trees that you are seeing are green grass meadows that the cows are in with there babys right now, once we get closer to the hunt the big bulls tend to take the cows back into the dark timber, send me a PM and I would be happy to give you some spots to try, last year I had the archery tag and killed a 375 bull up there, also I will be there this year on a muzzleloader deer hunt and have already scouted and seen some nice bulls this year.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-12 AT 12:28PM (MST)[p]There's lots of different types of vegetation on the Wasatch. There's some dark timer, lot's of Aspen and tons of Sage. The elk run around in all of it. I have the same tag for this year as well. When are you planning on coming out? Here's some bulls I've seen this year so far.

3158mdgc0385.jpg

3743mdgc0240.jpg

5671mdgc0164.jpg

5821mdgc0236.jpg

Thanks for the reply Bowhunt3r. Congrats on the tag. We'll be out there for the first two weeks of Sept.
And thanks so much for the pictures, it serves two purposes. First and formost: its an education for me, I'll pick up little tidbits from them and it will makes ideas and questions for me. Second it drives up my adrenilin rush, thats right , I see those pictures and I ready to hop in the truck and head on out there!! So much adrenilin from the pictures my heart might explode!!

Anyway, your pictures have brought up a couple of questions or comments.

I notice that the grass or whatever that is they're eating is really Lush in the sparse aspen grove. I suppose its like that since theres enough light for it to grow great but not too much for it to be stunted or burned up, does that sound right?
If so, are sprase aspen groves a good place to start for feeding elk?

Curious as to why you put your camera where you did. Is that just a trail? or Did you see where they were eating down all the growth? or did you just put it anywhere(which I can't imagine)?

Thanks nocwalker

If the trees are aspens, generally there will be about 3-4 foot high vegetation. If it is conifers, then there will generally be little to know undergrowth.

A mix of aspen and conifer gives you a mix of undergrowth height.

There are exceptions to the rule of course.

Yes it is a trail but it also is just bellow a spring. That's why the grass is really green there. Aspens are one of the best places to look for elk. This is where elk generally rub their antlers while shedding their velvet as well. While looking at the area on your maps look at topo maps of the Wasatch unit. Look for springs with good access. Elk get water a couple of times a day. Right now it's a hot dry summer, water is going to be key. So find some spots with a couple of springs and those are great places to setup a blind or a tree stand. It's not as fun as calling them in, but they obviously need water so they will show up sometime.

Nice, not that know that much about elk racks but, that rack seems to have some pretty good mass to it.

Can someone give me an idea of the score on that rack?
Nocwalker

310 - 320 range. I am jealous of your tag. Good luck with your hunt. I know the Wasatch pretty well and would be glad to advise on anything you might need. My dad has the Wasatch Muzzleloader this year and we have been hitting it pretty hard already and seeing some great bulls.

Thanks Verticalslope and Wasatch-bow-hunter

Any and all info is greatly appreciated and held in confidence.

Hope you and your dad has a great muzzy hunt.

Good Luck-- nocwalker

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom