Washington Draw Questions

N

NDhunter

I have finally broken down and realized that the only way that I am going to shoot a sheep or goat is to apply in as many states as possible. I am a nonresident so I have to throw down 50 bucks for the special draw, now can I apply for bighorn sheep and mountain goats, or just one of the two. From what I read in the regs goat bonus points are squared every year, that should help the odds after awhile. Any imput would be appreciated. Semper Fi.

You can apply for both. The bonus points really won't help you much. The bonus point system started in 1996, so there are hundreds of people with the maximum number of points still putting in for those permits. Your odds for bighorn sheep will be extremely low. Mountain goats will be a little better but not much. Good luck in the draw. It doesn't hurt to try, and the state will appreciate you giving up all that money!

Bob D. is exactly correct on the sheep and goat draw.

For information on what units to apply for, tags available, success rate, etc. go to our website at www.wafnaws.org and click on "Hunting Info"

we also have a dall sheep raffle coming up soon. print out a form and order your tickets today. ticket sales have been slow so the odds are great!

ramslam

Anyone know what the difference is between Rocky Mountain bighorn & California bighorn? We have both here in Washington. Is one bigger or have bigger horns? When I get my tag this year I need to know for the record books. Yeah right, but hey, I can have a wet dream ya know. Think positive.

If I were you I would save my money and not apply in WA. I'm a WA resident and I have second thoughts every year about plunking down the $5 for each species knowing my odds of drawing are about 1 in 1000 for sheep and goat. Before the bonus point thing your odds of drawing were much better, as low as 1 in 30 for sheep. Of course you also had to pay the tag fee upfront.

If I were you I would take the $50 for the license that you would have spent and buy 5 raffle tags at $10 apiece. I think that each year only about 1000-2000 raffle tags are sold so you can see that your odds of drawing are actually higher with the raffle than the general draw.

Don't mean to discourage you but these are the facts in Wa. I think on the WA special permits I've put in for I am 0-30.Perhaps this is my year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom