Watch or attend the May 4 Wildlife Board meeting

Amy

Just wanted to drop a quick reminder about tomorrow's Wildlife Board meeting. It starts at 9 a.m., and there's a lot on the agenda, including the 2023 permit numbers for the big game and antlerless seasons. For those who want to dig into details, here's the 427 pages of online feedback the board received in advance of the meeting.

If you're interested, you can watch the meeting online or attend in person. (It will be held at the Eccles Wildlife Education Center, located at 1157 South Waterfowl Way in Farmington.)

Thanks for caring as much as you do about wildlife!

I will listen in until noon. I have a feeling this one is going to go well into the afternoon.

They spend 20 minutes on trying to find a way to let a CWMU public hunter give his permit back because it might be a bad hunt even though it is against Rule.
SMH.

The board gets called out by sfw. Sfw says the board should be ashamed of themselves voting by fear not biology, as per the general deer tag shyt show.

The board gets called out by sfw. Sfw says the board should be ashamed of themselves voting by fear not biology, as per the general deer tag shyt show.
Got called out by Dax Mangus as well, who is, you know, an actual biologist. Wildlife Board is a joke!!

You shouldn't base your vote on "sending a message" - you should at least take some of the data and biology into account that paid professionals have given to you. The vote to NOT increase tags on the La Sal unit where there is a known prevalence of CWD disease is the most egregious example of the Board doing whatever the crap they want, biology be damned!

Were there any changes to the Bull Elk Permit Recommendations for 2023? I haven't been able to listen.

Got called out by Dax Mangus as well, who is, you know, an actual biologist. Wildlife Board is a joke!!

You shouldn't base your vote on "sending a message" - you should at least take some of the data and biology into account that paid professionals have given to you. The vote to NOT increase tags on the La Sal unit where there is a known prevalence of CWD disease is the most egregious example of the Board doing whatever the crap they want, biology be damned!
Dax's attempt at Humor is even better since it really is a backhanded insult. I loved it.

If there is ever a time to listen to an actual biologist, It's when the biologist is making recommendations to help minimize the effects if a disease. SMH

I rarely agree with SFW, but when they verbally punch the WB in the nose, I have to give them props.

This SShhitt Amazes Me!

UN-F'N-LIMITED Technology Advances Forever in DRATville!

But 2022-2023 Hits & Holy Sshhitt!

We Gotta Go Back The Other Way!

Alot Of This BS Shoulda Never Been Allowed!

But Here The Hell We Are!

This SShhitt Amazes Me!

UN-F'N-LIMITED Technology Advances Forever in DRATville!

But 2022-2023 Hits & Holy Sshhitt!

We Gotta Go Back The Other Way!

Alot Of This BS Shoulda Never Been Allowed!

But Here The Hell We Are!
Elkster-

I thought you wanted to see 50+ changes? But every time the wildlife board or the legislature makes a change, you whine and complain. Which is it? The good news is you get a keep that 20x scope on your muzzleloader. ?

Hawkeye

Hey hawky!

You're Sure Gonna Be In For a Surprise When You See My SmokePole!

You'd Best Pay Attention hawky!

I Don't Recall Complaining Other Than A Board Member Claims He Just Doesn't Know How He'd Limit His 1,200 Yard Rifle!

Does That Tell You Anything hawky?

I Don't Expect Some Kinda BS Excuse From You!

You're Smarter Than That!

Elkster-

I thought you wanted to see 50+ changes? But every time the wildlife board or the legislature makes a change, you whine and complain. Which is it? The good news is you get a keep that 20x scope on your muzzleloader. ?

Hawkeye

no general deer tag increases on any southern units except Pine Valley going from 1,700 to 2,300 (2,800 recommended in 2023 for PV)
Well I think that's a decent move. I felt like 2,800 was too much but I could see the argument to increase tags slightly. Now let it sit for a few years and see how it goes.

Am I the only one who gets sick and tired of the "more youth opportunities" in hunting? I have 4 youth. They hunt plenty. But we also hunt more than just deer and elk. But to increase the youth bull tags to 750? Another 250 hunters spread throughout the few open bull permits! Why not have all youth hunt 3 days early for the deer hunt? Why not give every youth a tag for every animal every year? ?‍♂️

Too much! Then they wonder why they loose interest. It's because all of a sudden they are told no at age of 18 and it's the end of the world!

Hey hawky!

Maybe Listen To What Travis Murphy Said!

He Manages Different Than The BS Buck To Doe Ratio Management This State Preaches As Gospel!

He's Managing For Some Age Class!

He's Cutting His Own Tags! (You & The KING Are Gonna BAWL On That One!)

I Don't Know Travis From Adam!

I Give This Guy Credit For What He's Doing!

Somebody That Is Smart Enough To Manage For Some Quality!

Somebody That Is Smart Enough Not To Destroy His Unit/Property!

I'd Like To Shake Your Hand Sometime Travis!

Pay Attention To Tom Hatch As Well!

I'd Like To Shake your Hand As Well!

He Mentions CLOSURE!

GOOD-GAWD hawky & The KING Ain't Gonna Like That!

The Guy Is Smart Enough To See The BIG Picture!

You Might Wanna Listen To Garth As Well!

I Have Shook His Hand!

If He Didn't See Any more than 12 Deer on The Beaver in 29 Days It Wasn't Because He Wasn't Glassing The Whole Unit!

Last edited:
Elkster-

We manage for plenty of quality in the state. If you want increased quality, put for a limited entry or premium limited entry unit. You can’t have super high-quality on every unit without eliminating thousands of additional hunters in addition to the thousands we’ve already cut out. If a hunter wants to experience ultra high-quality and limited competition, then he should expect to stand in line and hunt once every 20 or 30 years. You simply cannot have it both ways.

And just for the record, I cut/eat plenty of tags. I rarely take a deer, but I still enjoy being out in the field and spending time with friends and family. Unlike you and many others, however, I don’t feel like it’s my place to tell others how to hunt or to try to limit their opportunity to benefit me.

Hawkeye

Hey hawky!

I Don't Have A Problem With You At All!

Just Don't Tell Me I'm Complaining above When I Wasn't!

Do You Think I Shoot a Buck Every year?

Notta!

But Remember!

hossy Wants To See Your Tag Cut Before Your Season Starts!

Elkster-

We manage for plenty of quality in the state. If you want increased quality, put for a limited entry or premium limited entry unit. You can’t have super high-quality on every unit without eliminating thousands of additional hunters in addition to the thousands we’ve already cut out. If a hunter wants to experience ultra high-quality and limited competition, then he should expect to stand in line and hunt once every 20 or 30 years. You simply cannot have it both ways.

And just for the record, I cut/eat plenty of tags. I rarely take a deer, but I still enjoy being out in the field and spending time with friends and family. Unlike you and many others, however, I don’t feel like it’s my place to tell others how to hunt or to try to limit their opportunity to benefit me.

Hawkeye

Elkster-

Hawkeye
I'm fine with the way numbers are right now. Hopefully the deer heard improves and we can give out a few more tags. However I wouldn't mind a little more conservative numbers.

I believe Utah has the lowest Buck to doe ratio in the west as far as I know. Maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't mind a little more quality.

I also don't want tags cut so much that it's hard for my family and kids to get tags.

Why can’t we have it both ways if we get the age class right quantity/quality right? I don’t think they should have increase the Pine Valley unit but I’m ok with the numbers. When do they cut tags if the numbers drop below objective? Do they take into account the deer herd size per unit when they make recommendations? It can’t be all about about buck/doe ratio?

Your right has to start with having deer in general. I don’t know of many hunters and sportsmen that buy into the population estimate. The deer numbers are just not there.

Sorry boys and girls, but excessive bucks aren't going to bring the herds back.

Yes it makes the hunt funner seeing more pisscutters bouncing around the hills but if you're wanting to see 140 class bucks all over the landscape to sift through, go hunt the Book Cliffs because it's impossible to have that scenario on the GS units.

We've cut over 100k tags already since "the glory days", look where that got us?

Tag cuts aren't the solution people!

So I assume you think on a unit below buck/doe objective, way below deer population objective and low fawn retention, is a good indicator we should increase tags?

Sorry boys and girls, but excessive bucks aren't going to bring the herds back.

Yes it makes the hunt funner seeing more pisscutters bouncing around the hills but if you're wanting to see 140 class bucks all over the landscape to sift through, go hunt the Book Cliffs because it's impossible to have that scenario on the GS units.

We've cut over 100k tags already since "the glory days", look where that got us?

Tag cuts aren't the solution people!
Stop making sense! Maybe this new generation that think men can menstrate and have babies think that bucks can have fawns? ?‍♂️

So I assume you think on a unit below buck/doe objective, way below deer population objective and low fawn retention, is a good indicator we should increase tags?
If you're asking me, I'd say "No".
Two separate issues.

If a unit is below B/D objectives, reduce buck kills to meet those goals.

You grow the herd through doe/fawn retention.

So reducing buck tags in these units should not be causing heart burn. I understand it is not the best way to grow a deer herd, but at the same time you can’t keep hunting bucks at a high volume when they are scarce at best.

Elkster-

Hawkeye
For now.......

So reducing buck tags in these units should not be causing heart burn. I understand it is not the best way to grow a deer herd, but at the same time you can’t keep hunting bucks at a high volume when they are scarce at best.
Saving a couple hundred bucks doesn't tip the scales at all on herd numbers.

The same 50 does get bred whether there are 10 bucks or 30 in a given area and you can't regulate genetics and tell that 3.5 year old 3x4 he can't have that doe, that's up to her and nature.

Our focus needs to be on saving does and fawns through habitat restoration, reducing highway mortality, keeping farmers from killing deer in agriculture lands during winter, etc, etc.

I agree with you along with predictor kills, unpredictable weather just to add a couple. All I am saying is that increasing tags on the bucks is not helping the herd either, especially when you don’t have a herd to start with.

The reality is we have been steadily cutting tags for the last 40 years. We have gone from 250K tags to roughly 70K tags and those cuts have done nothing to grow our herds. There are obviously times when tag cuts are necessary in certain areas but we never seem to get those tags back, Even if the herd numbers improve in a specific area, certain groups doubt the numbers and fight against increasing the tag numbers. It is also frustrating to see the WB ignore the biology and make decisions based upon great and the desire to send a message. Oh well, I have to admit I was.not overly surprised by the results.

Hawkeye

So hawky?

How You Gonna Fix It?

You Ain't Going To!

If You're Not Noticing A Decline In Deer Numbers You'd Best Start Spending More Time In The Outdoors!

Everybody Blaming 1 or 2 Reasons Why!

When 50+ Reasons Why Sinks In Let Us Know!

And Yes!

A Couple Of Them Are Things We Have No Control Over!

HELL-F'N-RIGHT or STATUS QUO!

What's It Gonna Be hawky?

The reality is we have been steadily cutting tags for the last 40 years. We have gone from 250K tags to roughly 70K tags and those cuts have done nothing to grow our herds. There are obviously times when tag cuts are necessary in certain areas but we never seem to get those tags back, Even if the herd numbers improve in a specific area, certain groups doubt the numbers and fight against increasing the tag numbers. It is also frustrating to see the WB ignore the biology and make decisions based upon great and the desire to send a message. Oh well, I have to admit I was.not overly surprised by the results.

Hawkeye

Elkster-

I am all for making changes to grow our herds. Hunt the crap out of lions and coyotes. Improve habitat. Fence highways. Limit technology. Pray for rain and snow . . . but not too much! Continue the collar studies so we have better information and data. Make whatever biological changes are necessary to grow more deer. I’m even fine with cutting tags on units where the biologists think it is necessary.

But ignoring the biologists, caving to fear, and limiting tags on units that are otherwise doing okay because you want to “send a message,” that won’t do jack squat. Sorry, but if that is part of “Hell Right” then no thanks. If you think what happened yesterday is “gonna fix the problem” then you still have not learned a darn thing even after the butt whooping you took on the Henry Mountain threads.

Hawkeye

Yes, hopefully they get banned next time.

The next step is to get rid of rangefinders. This does not discriminate against weapon types. Just get to within 300 yds with rifle or use hunting SKILLS to guess range. 50 yds with bow or pass up shot!!!
Yeah… good luck with that. Rangefinders get outlawed I’ll automatically become a criminal. I’m not archery hunting and just guessing distances.

Why can’t we have it both ways if we get the age class right quantity/quality right? I don’t think they should have increase the Pine Valley unit but I’m ok with the numbers. When do they cut tags if the numbers drop below objective? Do they take into account the deer herd size per unit when they make recommendations? It can’t be all about about buck/doe ratio?
The response Dax gave for why there are fewer deer in the fields in Southern Utah is because DWR pays more depredation payments there than anywhere else in the state. It seems like the herd population objectives per unit mostly come into play if the herd exceeds objectives. Which is more common for elk than deer.

I've only had time to watch the deer permit numbers discussion before the lunch break.

My initial thought is that we are dealing with biological, social, economic, and political factors, but not in that order. Probably in reverse order. I was opposed to DWRs initial permit number proposals, but the revised numbers from Monday were more in-line with what I was anticipating. Especially, for the northern region.

Personally, I like the idea of not increasing permit numbers on any unit other than the La Sal unit in 2023. The CWD concern is valid, but was ignored by the WB for that unit for potitical reasons in order to send a message. I know the WB cut Pine Valley way back in 2022 due to extreme drought, but I can't comment on how that unit is doing or if it can sustain 2,300 permits in 2023.

I don't think this is the last we will hear about the Oak Creek. It's destined to become a premium unit next year that can offer management tags. If I'm not mistaken, Oak Creek became the unit it is over time because there were very few permits and bucks had a chance to hit their prime age. Paunsaugunt got to where it was/is for the same reason.

Just my two cents.

That is what I have been saying! The deer numbers just are not what their model shows. We need a true accurate count and then look at what needs to happen to grow a deer herd. There is not the amount of deer they classify in these southern units. Sorry it is just not true.
Get in the chopper, your opinion will change. Ours did and quickly.

That is what I have been saying! The deer numbers just are not what their model shows. We need a true accurate count and then look at what needs to happen to grow a deer herd. There is not the amount of deer they classify in these southern units. Sorry it is just not true.
I completely agree. It’d be interesting to see what formula they’re using to come up with their numbers.
When Dax made the comment about how they see deer in one area one year and that they move somewhere else the next winter, I blurted out something. Deer don’t live like that.

Does anyone, @slamdunk actually know how they do their counting and come up with the numbers?

I get the feeling that some of the board members don’t trust the numbers that the DWR reports, and probably question much more. I know if I were on the board I’d be questioning the count methods and the accuracy they report.

Sign me up for a ride-along when they do these counts!!

Deer in Utah are is such bad shape. I really like Garth Carters idea to model 4 point or better. I do agree and believe more of those young bucks on the landscape saves does and fawns lives by the predators getting to them rather than the does and fawns. Gosh isn’t something like this at least worth a try? Nothing else seems to be working. I think the divisions numbers on estimated deer are lofty and not reality.

All the years of conservation money generated in this state and I know some good has come from those dollars generated but it’s sure hard to see it when you consider the overall general health of the mule deer herd.

Mule deer hunting the way many of us remember it and want to remember it is becoming a thing of the past. We all want it better but those in the position to make changes just want to blame the weather and accept where we are. And keep selling all those general buck tags because they don’t matter to the deer herd.

I know mule deer management is so complex but if we don’t start making adjustments we won’t ever see improvements.

We need more deer on the landscape. If four point or better accomplishes that and saves does lives it served a purpose.

I believe there may be 300K deer in the state. However, the bulk of those deer are located in close proximity to green belt areas that are mostly private and inaccessible to the majority of hunters. You can't tell me that the mountain and desert portions of the state that are made up of mostly Forest service, State and BLM land are doing well and have the numbers of deer that they should. These are the areas that 75% of the hunters are accessing when they have a tag in their pocket and the deer are not there!

Last edited:
I can only say AI some many thousand times.

IF few tags= explosive growth in deer herds, explain AI. 2 tags, relatively stagnant deer population.

Then, explain the Henries after that.

We've lost a ton of winter range. And we cut off migratory deer herds with freeways.

This winter exposed the 2 biggest limiters on deer herds. Yet, as usual, here come the trophy hunters, with a 30 yr old "fix", cutting tags.

Hoping to we all forgot, what ended the golden age to start with, huge winters, I-15.

And again, what lead to $fw "saving the mule deer" in the early 90's, A BIG WINTER.

If you call for a single tag cut, YOU BETTER BE VOLUNTEERING.

How much money for deer counting would we have with the fees from those 150,000 tags we cut?

How much political clout would we have to try and limit foothill development? Pushing the gov and insurance groups to fence off and overpass freeways?

I'll wait for how not shooting bucks grows herds, as I eat lunch looking to the west at AI

Deer in Utah are is such bad shape. I really like Garth Carters idea to model 4 point or better. I do agree and believe more of those young bucks on the landscape saves does and fawns lives by the predators getting to them rather than the does and fawns. Gosh isn’t something like this at least worth a try? Nothing else seems to be working. I think the divisions numbers on estimated deer are lofty and not reality.

All the years of conservation money generated in this state and I know some good has come from those dollars generated but it’s sure hard to see it when you consider the overall general health of the mule deer herd.

Mule deer hunting the way many of us remember it and want to remember it is becoming a thing of the past. We all want it better but those in the position to make changes just want to blame the weather and accept where we are. And keep selling all those general buck tags because they don’t matter to the deer herd.

I know mule deer management is so complex but if we don’t start making adjustments we won’t ever see improvements.

We need more deer on the landscape. If four point or better accomplishes that and saves does lives it served a purpose.

YES!!

We heard the same arguments, illegal bulls left to rot, when the Manti went spike only.

And the first couple years, that was true. But less and less as time went on, plus, nowadays everyone carries a camera.

I think this is a great idea, that doesn't cost a single tag, or hunter a day hinting

Last edited:
If you have 500 bucks on a unit and kill 50 that leaves you with 450. If you kill 400 that leaves you with 100. If my math is right the first option leaves 450 deer on the landscape instead of 100. I would say 450 bucks left on the landscape is more than 50.

If you have 500 bucks on a unit and kill 50 that leaves you with 450. If you kill 400 that leaves you with 100. If my math is right the first option leaves 450 deer on the landscape instead of 100. I would say 450 bucks left on the landscape is more than 50.
How many fawns, are those bucks having every year? At the end of your 8 year cycle how many have been replaced from those birthing bucks.

The question was how does not shooting bucks increase the deer herd? I did not say it was the best way to grow a herd but it is simple math if you only kill 100 bucks vs 500 you increased the herd by 400.

The question was how does not shooting bucks increase the deer herd? I did not say it was the best way to grow a herd but it is simple math if you only kill 100 bucks vs 500 you increased the herd by 400.
Yes simple math, you can't count the same bucks every year and say the herd is growing. New fawns is how the herd is growing. I think you are describing a stagnant herd. IMO

I completely agree. It’d be interesting to see what formula they’re using to come up with their numbers.
When Dax made the comment about how they see deer in one area one year and that they move somewhere else the next winter, I blurted out something. Deer don’t live like that.

Does anyone, @slamdunk actually know how they do their counting and come up with the numbers?

I get the feeling that some of the board members don’t trust the numbers that the DWR reports, and probably question much more. I know if I were on the board I’d be questioning the count methods and the accuracy they report.

Sign me up for a ride-along when they do these counts!!
Based on conversations I’ve had with various local biologists from South Central Utah, starting back in the 1980s, through 2012, if a unit biologist goes out in November to do the annual fall mule deer count and he comes back with less total deer counted than previous years, because he can’t locate them in the traditional locations, and he turns in the count, his State supervisor sends his report back and tells him to do redo the count. Then…….. if he does the count and he still can’t find enough deer to meet the “an adequate statistical sample sized number” for the unit, he is told, by the Supervisor, keep looking…… “until you get enough counted”. Then submit the count.

(Not a lot different than what Corey was saying when he said, if they aren’t on one side of mountain, go check the other side. Surprise, surprise, as Founder said in Post #59. “Deer don’t live like that.”

Mule deer live in family units. They only know about areas their parents and grandparents know about. Deer don’t talk to each other about some green pasture they can go to. Look at the Wyoming mule deer migration maps, collared deer move back and forth from winter to summer range for 5-6 years in a row, following the exact same path and going back to the same places every years, they don’t wander around exploring and relocation like other species do.

If mule are gone from their traditional area, they don’t exist anymore, they haven’t moved to the other side of the unit. Yet…… this DWR is telling you they base their recommendations on good science.

You decide……. based on this nonsense.

I was told of one, for sure, and possibly two biologists, that left the DWR over these count conflicts.

When I heard Corey say, (not perfectly quoting here) our mule deer units are currently at or near herd objectives and unit carrying capacity, I nearly puked. Then I heard him go on and on about how hard the DWR is working to increase mule deer populations across the State my head nearly exploded.

I also heard him say something to the effect that unit and State deer population estimates are based on hunter success. It really set me off again. If we are killing 20,000 to 25,000 bucks a year when populations are from 280,000 up to 380,000…….. I’d love to hear him say what the deer population was in 1983 and 1984 when the buck harvest was over 82,000 and nearly 70,000.

You younger folks that can do a simple math ratio and can figure it out easy enough……… but why should it matter now anyway?

It should matter because if Corey and the DWR believe we are at or near carrying capacity now, at 380,000 or less, how in hell did these unit carry two to three times as many deer in the 1980s and before and they can only carry 380,000 now…… after all the millions upon millions of dollars have been invested in habitat restoration, road crossing improvements, predator reduction programs, (like the sheep man on the Board, spoke about in this small unit area, over 4,500 killed in 4 years I think he said) and millions spent on mule deer science research…….. after all that and we still only kill 25,000 bucks a year, as compared to the bucks killed prior to these “efforts” when we where killing 50,000 to 70,000 buck a year, for decades, oh and yes, through drought years and extremely harsh winter years as well.

How in hell can Corey say we are at or near carrying capacity now.

And……. don’t tell me about all the development in the State and double the population……. The Wasatch Front takes up less than 20% of the States geography. So pull that 20% off the numbers and your still hundreds of thousand of mule deer short now.

If we are at or near carrying capacity now…… then the DWR has redefined “carry capacity” from how I was defined prior to the 1990’s.

If you young guys are willing to swallow and accept this BS as valid and real, you deserve what you’re getting.

I had the same thought initially. Didn’t make sense that not killing bucks puts more deer on the landscape but it I believe it could do just that. And the thought that having some young bucks on the landscape could divert predator attention towards them rather than does and fawns.

I’ve been an avid elk and mule deer hunter for over 30 years. Studied, watched and listened to biologists and other wildlife experts. I won’t claim to remotely have all the answers.

I love the tradition of our Utah mule deer hunting. I get the same general tag when I can I haven’t killed a deer in the state of Utah since 2011 when I had a draw tag. I’m totally fine to not kill a deer. I could have harvested a mature looking neat buck this past season and my 18 year old son and I just didn’t feel the need to kill him. We sat on a ridge and watch a couple hunters bump him and spook him up the basin.

Yes I’m grateful to be able to hunt. And I’ll continue to do my part by selectively harvesting. I’m ok with that. I’ve had plenty of great opportunities. Feel bad for the outlook on mule deer. I’m afraid this winter when all settles will prove to be something nonrecoverable in a lot of areas.

Based on conversations I’ve had with various local biologists from South Central Utah, starting back in the 1980s, through 2012, if a unit biologist goes out in November to do the annual fall mule deer count and he comes back with less total deer counted than previous years, because he can’t locate them in the traditional locations, and he turns in the count, his State supervisor sends his report back and tells him to do redo the count. Then…….. if he does the count and he still can’t find enough deer to meet the “an adequate statistical sample sized number” for the unit, he is told, by the Supervisor, keep looking…… “until you get enough counted”. Then submit the count.

(Not a lot different than what Corey was saying when he said, if they aren’t on one side of mountain, go check the other side. Surprise, surprise, as Founder said in Post #59. “Deer don’t live like that.”

Mule deer live in family units. They only know about areas their parents and grandparents know about. Deer don’t talk to each other about some green pasture they can go to. Look at the Wyoming mule deer migration maps, collared deer move back and forth from winter to summer range for 5-6 years in a row, following the exact same path and going back to the same places every years, they don’t wander around exploring and relocation like other species do.

If mule are gone from their traditional area, they don’t exist anymore, they haven’t moved to the other side of the unit. Yet…… this DWR is telling you they base their recommendations on good science.

You decide……. based on this nonsense.

I was told of one, for sure, and possibly two biologists, that left the DWR over these count conflicts.

When I heard Corey say, (not perfectly quoting here) our mule deer units are currently at or near herd objectives and unit carrying capacity, I nearly puked. Then I heard him go on and on about how hard the DWR is working to increase mule deer populations across the State my head nearly exploded.

I also heard him say something to the effect that unit and State deer population estimates are based on hunter success. It really set me off again. If we are killing 20,000 to 25,000 bucks a year when populations are from 280,000 up to 380,000…….. I’d love to hear him say what the deer population was in 1983 and 1984 when the buck harvest was over 82,000 and nearly 70,000.

You younger folks that can do a simple math ratio and can figure it out easy enough……… but why should it matter now anyway?

It should matter because if Corey and the DWR believe we are at or near carrying capacity now, at 380,000 or less, how in hell did these unit carry two to three times as many deer in the 1980s and before and they can only carry 380,000 now…… after all the millions upon millions of dollars have been invested in habitat restoration, road crossing improvements, predator reduction programs, (like the sheep man on the Board, spoke about in this small unit area, over 4,500 killed in 4 years I think he said) and millions spent on mule deer science research…….. after all that and we still only kill 25,000 bucks a year, as compared to the bucks killed prior to these “efforts” when we where killing 50,000 to 70,000 buck a year, for decades, oh and yes, through drought years and extremely harsh winter years as well.

How in hell can Corey say we are at or near carrying capacity now.

And……. don’t tell me about all the development in the State and double the population……. The Wasatch Front takes up less than 20% of the States geography. So pull that 20% off the numbers and your still hundreds of thousand of mule deer short now.

If we are at or near carrying capacity now…… then the DWR has redefined “carry capacity” from how I was defined prior to the 1990’s.

If you young guys are willing to swallow and accept this BS as valid and real, you deserve what you’re getting.
I believe this is why the wildlife board goes rogue, disregards the DWR numbers and sets their own. Something seems to be broken with their population estimates, and then it calls into question the DWR competency.

Garth Carter said when he was a DWR employee he was involved somewhere on the Bookcliffs when it was closed for 5 years, I think it was.

His phone number can’t be too hard to get. Call him and ask him if having the unit closed for five years put more does on the unit, as well as more bucks. He probably knows, if he was doing the counts…. like the biologist on the other units.

I know what he’ll tell you……. But you ask him, so you’ll know.

Can he tell you why………. I doubt it, but he most likely has an opinion, based on his hands on involvement.

Don’t trust Carter. Call a different biologist from Utah or any other State that’s managed an open, closed, reopened unit, ask them. This BS about bucks don’t have fawns is more nonsense to avoid closing units now days. It was never said by anyone in the DWR or anywhere else, until the last 20 years. Not when the Pauns was closed, the Vernon, the Henries, the Bumble Bee, the Parker, or any other unit, in Utah or any other Western State that’s been close due to a failed mule deer population. Read the old public hearing minutes from 70, 80, or 90…….. show me that logic, in writing, prior to the current generation of mule deer managers.

Why? You tell me.

Remember this……. they swore up and down trout would die if you fished with corn. They swore up and down elk would have no adverse affect on mule deer. I believed them….then……… I don’t now.

Well You've Heard Me BITCHING for close To 25 Years Now & I Was PISSED Long Before That With The Way Our Wildlife is Managed In This State!

This State Will Grow Quality Bucks & Bulls Just About Anywhere in The State When Managed Properly & Not For $$$!

And Just For hawky:

Yes It Produces PISSCUTTERS As Well If That's What You're In To!

I'll Say It One More Time:

F
U
B
A
R

I believe this is why the wildlife board goes rogue, disregards the DWR numbers and sets their own. Something seems to be broken with their population estimates, and then it calls into question the DWR competency.

I Mentioned Cutting A Few F'N Buck Tags On The Henries In Hopes We Might Get Some Age Class Back For The Guys That Took Nearly 30 GAWD-DAMNED Years To Draw A Tag In Hopes They Might Find What They've Waited 1/3 or a 1/2 of a Lifetime to maybe Draw The Tag & It RUFFLED You & The KINGS Feathers!

I Didn't Know The DWR Had Already Cut a Few Tags Until JakeH Pulled It Up & Posted It!

You & The KING Hate Me Now For Mentioning It!

Why Don't You Go Throw Your F'N Hate at The DWR!

I Talked About Cutting Tags!

The DWR Cut The F'N Tags!

I've Asked Both Of You If You're As Mad At The DWR As You Are Me,But Neither One Of You Will PONY-Up & Jump The DWR'S Ass Like You Have Mine!

In Your Eyes Any & Every F'N Thing They Say & Do Is GOSPEL!

50 F'N + Years Now & Still Headed Down Hill!

If That Ain't Noticeable You Might wanna Put Your Glasses On!

Elkster-

I am all for making changes to grow our herds. Hunt the crap out of lions and coyotes. Improve habitat. Fence highways. Limit technology. Pray for rain and snow . . . but not too much! Continue the collar studies so we have better information and data. Make whatever biological changes are necessary to grow more deer. I’m even fine with cutting tags on units where the biologists think it is necessary.

But ignoring the biologists, caving to fear, and limiting tags on units that are otherwise doing okay because you want to “send a message,” that won’t do jack squat. Sorry, but if that is part of “Hell Right” then no thanks. If you think what happened yesterday is “gonna fix the problem” then you still have not learned a darn thing even after the butt whooping you took on the Henry Mountain threads.

Hawkeye

And 5 years down the road, the bucks are fighting off the does and fawns for food on the winter range, and the 6-7 year old bucks are dying of old age. And nobody got to hunt them. IF that is what you truly want, hunt the Henries or Pauns or Oak creeks. That IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE. If you are OK with hunting once in a lifetime, then apply there! Makes perfect sense!!!!!

I Mentioned Cutting A Few F'N Buck Tags On The Henries In Hopes We Might Get Some Age Class Back For The Guys That Took Nearly 30 GAWD-DAMNED Years To Draw A Tag In Hopes They Might Find What They've Waited 1/3 or a 1/2 of a Lifetime to maybe Draw The Tag & It RUFFLED You & The KINGS Feathers!

I Didn't Know The DWR Had Already Cut a Few Tags Until JakeH Pulled It Up & Posted It!

You & The KING Hate Me Now For Mentioning It!

Why Don't You Go Throw Your F'N Hate at The DWR!

I Talked About Cutting Tags!

The DWR Cut The F'N Tags!

I've Asked Both Of You If You're As Mad At The DWR As You Are Me,But Neither One Of You Will PONY-Up & Jump The DWR'S Ass Like You Have Mine!

In Your Eyes Any & Every F'N Thing They Say & Do Is GOSPEL!

50 F'N + Years Now & Still Headed Down Hill!

If That Ain't Noticeable You Might wanna Put Your Glasses On!
So if I hold on to my 20 LE deer points for 10 more years, am I guaranteed to kill a 7-8 year old buck on a unit?

A Board member asked why or if the Legislature could do more than the Board could…….. Tom Hatch and Wade Heaton stumbled around answering his question. Heaton had already answered his question earlier in the meeting, when he said something to the effect, if we don’t take care of these issues…… the cougar thing….. the Legislature will, and they have been doing it more often recently.

The Legislature can, it will, it has and it will again, when the public is pissed off enough because the Board and the DWR fail to act responsibly, they go find a sympathetic angry Senator or Legislature and push them to “force” these scientists (DWR biologist that is) to do their job.

Tom Hatch was one of those Legislators. Believe me Wade Heaton knows Hatch’s history and his fearless character. There is far more knowledge between those two than either spoke too yesterday. When Heaston said put a pin in the biology for a minute and said let’s respond to the public, he knew Hatch was listening and had some kind of plan in mind…….. if the Board didn’t respond to those extra tags appropriately.

If Hatch sees that he was wrong after next years hunt and thereis no feed left because there are too many deer on the those units, he’ll be the first to ask for more tags based on the evidence in the field. He’s one of the best friends Utah’s sport hunters have in the State. In spite of what people who just want to hunt mule deer as often as possible think of Tom Hatch and Wade Heaton both are anything but your enemy. They are looking out for you, when you won’t look out for yourself.

That’s my story……. I’m sticking to it.

A Board member asked why or if the Legislature could do more than the Board could…….. Tom Hatch and Wade Heaton stumbled around answering his question. Heaton had already answered his question earlier in the meeting, when he said something to the effect, if we don’t take care of these issues…… the cougar thing….. the Legislature will, and they have been doing it more often recently.

The Legislature can, it will, it has and it will again, when the public is pissed off enough because the Board and the DWR fail to act responsibly, they go find a sympathetic angry Senator or Legislature and push them to “force” these scientists (DWR biologist that is) to do their job.

Tom Hatch was one of those Legislators. Believe me Wade Heaton knows Hatch’s history and his fearless character. There is far more knowledge between those two than either spoke too yesterday. When Heaston said put a pin in the biology for a minute and said let’s respond to the public, he knew Hatch was listening and had some kind of plan in mind…….. if the Board didn’t respond to those extra tags appropriately.

If Hatch sees that he was wrong after next years hunt and thereis no feed left because there are too many deer on the those units, he’ll be the first to ask for more tags based on the evidence in the field. He’s one of the best friends Utah’s sport hunters have in the State. In spite of what people who just want to hunt mule deer as often as possible think of Tom Hatch and Wade Heaton both are anything but your enemy. They are looking out for you, when you won’t look out for yourself.

That’s my story……. I’m sticking to it.

All people named Wade look out for Numero Uno.

How is the herd "increased" by not harvesting those 400 bucks that were already there ?

I believe it would be a decrease in buck/doe ratios, but it wouldn't adversely affect a successful rut and upcoming fawn crop.

One Of The Big Problems With The DRATville Deer Herd is:

Come RUT Time!

What You Looking At Doing The Breeding?

Mostly JUNK!

Bucks That Nobody Would Shoot!

Bucks That Have An Ancestry of Their Dads,GrandDads,Great Granddads,Great Great GrandDads Being Yearlings/Spikes,MOTL which Makes Total TRASH Genetics!

Unlike The Good Old Days When It Wasn't a Big Deal if a 2 Point Was Doing Some of The Breeding Because He Still Had Some Good Genetics In Him!

After So Many Generations Of Nothing But GARBAGE Doing The Breeding,What Have You Got Left?

Yup!

TOTAL F'N GARBAGE!

Found A Fawn During The Rifle Hunt That Was Killed by Coyotes That Still Had Spots In October!

What's The Chance Of Fawns Being Born That Late Surviving?

Evident ally You Haven't Studied Or Spent Much Time On The South Slope Either?
I haven’t hunted the South Slope for a handful of years, but I’ve seen quite a few big deer on general units over the last few years. The genetics are there, most deer just don’t get the age.

Yes!

We Need Age!

Mention That Here On MM & They Start BAWLING Like BABIES!

I haven’t hunted the South Slope for a handful of years, but I’ve seen quite a few big deer on general units over the last few years. The genetics are there, most deer just don’t get the age.

Garth Carter said when he was a DWR employee he was involved somewhere on the Bookcliffs when it was closed for 5 years, I think it was.
I can tell you what I saw first hand. The Book Cliffs, like most of the state, used to be open to anyone in the state with the general tag. We hunted there every year and did very well. Very few people hunted there because access was poor (I assume that's why). Instead of a 1 hour drive on paved roads from Vernal as it is now, it was more like 2 or 3, mostly on rough dirt roads. Then someone came up with the bright idea of making the Book Cliffs 3-point or better. That year, there were people EVERYWHERE. I guess they all thought that there would be big bucks behind every tree. Well it wasn't very long till there were basically no deer left and they shut down the unit for 5 years. When they opened it, magically there were BIG bucks out there. I have a nephew who killed a buck with a bow that would have gone B&C. Now whether there were other factors involved, IDK, I'm just telling you what I saw.

Ya!

If The SLOB Hunters Wouldn't Have Shot A Bunch Of 2 Points & Left Them To Rot The 3 Point Or Better Coulda Been A Good Thing!

It Took 5 Years of CLOSURE To Bring It Back a Little!

Mention a CLOSURE To The KING or hawky & GFHC!

SAD that It Had To be Closed!

But I Ain't Forgot It!

There Wasn't A Buck Left alive That Had Nubs!

I can tell you what I saw first hand. The Book Cliffs, like most of the state, used to be open to anyone in the state with the general tag. We hunted there every year and did very well. Very few people hunted there because access was poor (I assume that's why). Instead of a 1 hour drive on paved roads from Vernal as it is now, it was more like 2 or 3, mostly on rough dirt roads. Then someone came up with the bright idea of making the Book Cliffs 3-point or better. That year, there were people EVERYWHERE. I guess they all thought that there would be big bucks behind every tree. Well it wasn't very long till there were basically no deer left and they shut down the unit for 5 years. When they opened it, magically there were BIG bucks out there. I have a nephew who killed a buck with a bow that would have gone B&C. Now whether there were other factors involved, IDK, I'm just telling you what I saw.

I remember back in around 95 or 96 the dwr wanted to open up the Vernon unit to a general season unit because the population was so low and deer numbers were in dire straits. Mike styler was the new dwr director and he said to his biologists good hell if numbers are that low let’s close the damn thing to hunting for 5 years and open it back up to limited entry. So that what they did. The 1st year it opened up my mom and dad both drew tags so we started scouting on July 3rd 2000 or 2001 can’t remember but in Harker canyon that morning we counted 75 bucks in one canyon. I had never seen anything like it. It was common to see 50 bucks and 100s of does everytime we went out there. The population had exploded, why you say, well my theory more bucks on the mountain, more does being bred and more fawns survived. My mom tagged out on a beautiful 31in 3 pt and my dad a 28 in typical 4. I think the more mature bucks we have in the herd the more healthy and reproductive the herd will be. More deer on the landscape. Just my opinion.

I believe you. I think most others do as well.

The point I was trying to make, poorly, as usual, was……… did the number of does increase during the closure?

My argument is the does increase as well as the males. Those who disagree claim, because bucks don’t give birth, the number of bucks increase because they don’t get kill killed by hunters, so they accumulate…… but not killing the bucks can’t possible cause the does to increase in number. I claim the number of does does increase during a 5 year closer, as do the number of bucks.

Why or how is that possible? I could speculate but I don’t know for absolute why, I just know, from what I’ve see with my own eyes, that they do.

Close a unit to hunting for 5 years and there will be more of both bucks and does on the unit when it reopens. Could that be because of heighten habitat work on the unit, more agressive predator control, less anxiousness by the deer, movement from neighboring units that are pressures by hunting…… I don’t know…….. but I do know there are more. And more is all I care about. More does make more bucks, more bucks means more people can hunt, including more youth.

More deer, more hunting……… I want more hunting!!!!

I believe you. I think most others do as well.

The point I was trying to make, poorly, as usual, was……… did the number of does increase during the closure?

My argument is the does increase as well as the males. Those who disagree claim, because bucks don’t give birth, the number of bucks increase because they don’t get kill killed by hunters, so they accumulate…… but not killing the bucks can’t possible cause the does to increase in number. I claim the number of does does increase during a 5 year closer, as do the number of bucks.

Why or how is that possible? I could speculate but I don’t know for absolute why, I just know, from what I’ve see with my own eyes, that they do.

Close a unit to hunting for 5 years and there will be more of both bucks and does on the unit when it reopens. Could that be because of heighten habitat work on the unit, more agressive predator control, less anxiousness by the deer, movement from neighboring units that are pressures by hunting…… I don’t know…….. but I do know there are more. And more is all I care about. More does make more bucks, more bucks means more people can hunt, including more youth.

Yep, and then in just as many years you are right back to square one.

Books and Henry's were closed, opened up to LE and the Books are back to sub par quality but healthy numbers and the Henry's overall numbers have decreased when we are only harvesting a low number of bucks.

Two different beasts, two different issues.

More deer, more hunting……… I want more hunting!!!!

I get that people don't want cuts because they want to hunt. I'd rather not have cuts either, unless needed. Which obviously some are neede these days. I have a lifetime license, tag cuts won't hurt me specifically and people get mad at that and call me selfish. However, just because you don't get a license, you don't want tag cuts, because it affects you. Isn't that just as selfish? It's not our fault you didn't get in on the lifetime license deal. Life's not fair, get over it.

I agree that you can't stockpile bucks to a certain extent. For crying out loud weve got to have the lowest Buck to doe ratio in the whole west. Our quality is not great. I don't need great quality, sure it would be nice but I want people to hunt. I want sportsman to have a big voice. However, some are acting like the whole state of Utah is ran like the Henries. Our buck to doe ratios are low, we give out plenty of tags.

Someone please name a state that has a lower buck to doe ratio than Utah!
There may be one, but not many.

Last edited:
Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom