Watch today's Wildlife Board meeting

This is an absolute JOKE! If they give Clint Heber his new tag, I will be pissed. This will open a can of worms! He had the opportunity to hunt. This lawyers list of excuses are a joke. I hope they see through this.

We all know Clint Heber only wanted to hunt the "CERTAIN" buck. He was busted. That was all he wanted. Game over for him. So that is why he didnt want to come back. He felt safe enough to travel here to the metropolis of Holden utah, with the giant population of what, 100? He was perfectly fine. Get over it MR STYLER.

Glad the Board reached the conclusion to deny the extension request, but it shouldn't have taken more than 20-30 minutes to reach that conclusion given the circumstances. Heiber and the WLH guides didn't find the buck they wanted (and when it was found later it was broken up) and they tried to blame it all on COVID-19 issues.

Sorry (not sorry) guys - not how it works!!

WLH needs to to clean up the act.

I haven’t had a chance to watch the meeting.
Did they set the quotas for the oak creek deer hunt?
Any changes?

The fact that Byron was so adamant there was no foul play here is honestly shocking. The fact that he is arguably the most powerful man in Utah's wildlife, is even more shocking and highly worrisome after witnessing that today.
The bias soothes from that guy and his rambling during the hearing didn't bring a shred of value to the conversation, in fact, it was mostly unintelligible. But this gets back to the underlying problem in Utah - SFW and their cronies run the show at all levels.
I hope this hearing does prompt some change to the definition of "hunting". If you are paying a bunch of flat brimmers thousands of dollars to find your 220" buck while you sit in California or Holden Utah eating grapes with Kalan and Wade, you are actually hunting. You may not have a foot in the "field", but you are hunting by paying someone else to do all of the hard work for you. There is no gray area there.

If anyone watched this and didn't think Byron Bateman was in the pocket of SFW, they would be a fool.

It was refreshing to hear at least a few of the Board members say that if you sit in town with your rifle ready, even if you stay in town, but have countless guides out searching for your quarry, you are in fact hunting. Kudos to Wade Heaton for stepping up.

I would agree the rule is muddy and does not adequately consider posse hunting Utah style as it was written. The fact that the Board has the latitude to consider that fact, and make a decision on that basis was a good thing.

I will also say the argument that it was unsafe to be in the woods due to covid is ridiculous. (Not travel or stay with your guide, but to actually walk out onto the mountain - way to scary. BS.)

Just my take on this situation.

Bill

If anyone watched this and didn't think Byron Bateman was in the pocket of SFW, they would be a fool.

It was refreshing to hear at least a few of the Board members say that if you sit in town with your rifle ready, even if you stay in town, but have countless guides out searching for your quarry, you are in fact hunting. Kudos to Wade Heaton for stepping up.

I would agree the rule is muddy and does not adequately consider posse hunting Utah style as it was written. The fact that the Board has the latitude to consider that fact, and make a decision on that basis was a good thing.

I will also say the argument that it was unsafe to be in the woods due to covid is ridiculous. (Not travel or stay with your guide, but to actually walk out onto the mountain - way to scary. BS.)

Just my take on this situation.

Bill

Agreed on all accounts-kudos to Wade Heaton and Karl Hirst for keeping the board honest and getting to the right decision!!

It was almost sounding like if he waited in California for the okay and hadn’t went to Mexico on another hunt. They may have given the tag back to him. I am glad they saw threw the crap show and saw threw it. He only wanted one buck and he got broken up. They thought they could work the system . If someone had not told on them. Wade Lemon hunting may have pull of another miracle for their hunter. Maybe the wording of that section needs to changed to any Hunter or guides in the field for the Hunter. Just sitting at the Lemon house for three days while guides are in the field is hunting for the rich anyways. If they would have given the tag back. I think Joe public would have come unglued! Good job on the board for seeing through the charade.

So?

If I Had Lots/Enough Money?

I Could Become Nothing More than a Trigger Puller?

F'It!

I'll Keep Huntin PISSCUTTERS & Not Pulling the Trigger!

Kudos to th one individual (forgot his name) who stated that their investigation revealed that Kalen called the sportsman tag hunter and offered him $5k not to hunt the buck on both August 29th and September 1st, basically confirming that the lemon crew fully intended on hunting that buck while the tag holder was in town. I though it was a great piece of evidence

Byron’s response was rude and arrogant, basically telling the person that was pointless info before going on some rant almost implying that because the individual had spent so much money on the tag, he should have the benefit of the doubt.

Kudos to th one individual (forgot his name) who stated that their investigation revealed that Kalen called the sportsman tag hunter and offered him $5k not to hunt the buck on both August 29th and September 1st, basically confirming that the lemon crew fully intended on hunting that buck while the tag holder was in town. I though it was a great piece of evidence

Byron’s response was rude and arrogant, basically telling the person that was pointless info before going on some rant almost implying that because the individual had spent so much money on the tag, he should have the benefit of the doubt.
The investigating officer stated they tried to buy the other dude off.

Getting rid of auction tags and hunting guides will go a long way towards ending the fluster cuck that hunting has become.

Another thing that would make a huge difference and more enjoyable hunting is to step back forty years in time with hunting tools and implements. By that I mean Sidelock and Flintlock iron sighted muzzy's only. Recurve or long bows only. No firearms with more than a six power scope or 2,600 fps velocity that is still quite modern technology but nothing like many of today's set ups. No electronics at all including game cams and rangefinders. If that were the case I'd have to re-gear up but it would definitely stimulate Utah's hunting goods economy and a rush on plaid shirts. Eliminate off-road vehicles and close off a lot more areas to motorized vehicles.

It would take a miracle to pull these thing off but one can wish. ?

Hey Bob?

You Ever Read HELL-RIGHT?:D

Getting rid of auction tags and hunting guides will go a long way towards ending the fluster cuck that hunting has become.

Another thing that would make a huge difference and more enjoyable hunting is to step back forty years in time with hunting tools and implements. By that I mean Sidelock and Flintlock iron sighted muzzy's only. Recurve or long bows only. No firearms with more than a six power scope or 2,600 fps velocity that is still quite modern technology but nothing like many of today's set ups. No electronics at all including game cams and rangefinders. If that were the case I'd have to re-gear up but it would definitely stimulate Utah's hunting goods economy and a rush on plaid shirts. Eliminate off-road vehicles and close off a lot more areas to motorized vehicles.

It would take a miracle to pull these thing off but one can wish. ?

I'll Deal Solely with Bateman If I Don't Harvest a PISSCUTTER This Fall!

It’s a good thing Mr. Bateman was not the sole decision-maker. He seemed to be focused solely on supporting Mr. Heiber and his variance request. Very disappointing.

Hawkeye

Why watch? It's a damn joke. Dwr does what it wants, what the sfw says. Only reason for them inviting people to watch is just a show. When is the last time they actually listed to public input? Never!! It's only about money
Just last year they extended the anybull archery dates by 5 days to allow for a better chance of rut activity on that hunt. That came from one general public guy that went through the process to present his change.

I was looking up Clint Heiber up on the web and noticed he one time hunted a whole 3 hours in Colorado with the Governor's tag and after the grueling 3 hour hunt he killed a 220+/- buck with the help of the Mossback Bunch. Didn't notice much of a sweatup after the kill.

I would encourage everyone that saw how Byron and Donny tried to defend this Piece of trash to write a letter to the Whole board letting them know that this kind of garbage isn't going to fly.

Byron Bateman, Chair​

[email protected]

Kevin Albrecht, Vice Chair​

[email protected]

Karl Hirst​

[email protected]

Donnie Hunter​

[email protected]

Wade Heaton​

[email protected]

Randy Dearth​

[email protected]

Bret Selman​

[email protected]

Better yet, email Sean Reyes, Utah Attorney General!

[email protected]

There are threads on the Oak Creek bucks on MM if you want all the details. I am glad the archer killed a bigger buck before the governor’s tag opened and the focus stayed on the other buck. I’m guessing the other buck is still alive? I have not seen it pinned all over social media. Hope the buck made it through all the spotlight. Sometimes you just have two route for the buck when the high dollar hunters and guides are going to any extent to kill them.

A3881F97-F451-4CB0-9964-FEE1D88A45B4.png

B3605ED1-709E-4C86-9D99-8AC9C2303724.png

I Can see a Buck of that Caliber Breaking a Tine!

Maybe even two Tines!

But Some are Claiming Broken beyond Shoot-able?

The Buck all of a Sudden Disappears for a while!

I Think Somebody Might of Gave Him a Hair Cut To Maybe Save His Life for another year?

Or Somebody Got Buck Fever & Had their Scope turned up on 60 Power & Was YANKIN the Trigger?

Bateman shouldn’t be the chair on the wildlife board, nor be on it at all. He has lost the understanding and vision of public wildlife and our perception, and no longer is trusted from my view. From his comments it seemed he knew the tag holder and had personal gain in value coming from the conservation/big money tags. It did not look or sound good especially where he has been apart of and supported SFW for so long.

Karl or Wade should be the Chair of the wildlife board. Great job upholding the divisions recommendation of not allowing a variance in this situation.

Last edited:
Why watch? It's a damn joke. Dwr does what it wants, what the sfw says. Only reason for them inviting people to watch is just a show. When is the last time they actually listed to public input? Never!! It's only about money
Just last year they extended the anybull archery dates by 5 days to allow for a better chance of rut activity on that hunt. That came from one general public guy that went through the process to present his change.
They also went against the division with the "unlimited general elk tags" and additional general season units. They instead made completely separate hunts by creating the new HAMS elk hunts and September archery units rather then adding those areas to the general hunts. That was 100% in defiance of what the division wanted and more in line with public opinion.

So frustrating to listen to Byron and Donnie during that variance meeting at the end.
Those two are so clueless.
Early Retirement for both of them would do Utah some good.
Glad the other board members saw through the bs lawyer
Hebers supposed intent and his actions didn’t line up and everyone could see through it except Donnie and Byron.
Easy decisions
Glad they got it right

Found this story about Heiber from a while back. Sounds like a real Peach!
Yep. He’s definitely had his run ins with law.

Kenneth Clint Heiber, Red Bluff, CA, was ordered to pay a $5,000 fine and $25,000 restitution to the Navajo Department of Wildlife. In addition Heiber was ordered to abandon a trophy mule deer killed on the Navajo Indian Reservation in December 1997, and subsequently seized by Agents of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in March of 2000.
When you have lots of $$, rules don’t apply unless you’re caught I guess.

so glad to hear his appeal for variance was denied.

who paid for this tag for 2021 and spent the 75k?

Both Byron and Donnie (SFW's) are gone soon enough! Their 6 year terms are up this year and the Board Nomination Committee has already submitted the names of their possible replacements (2 names for each position) to Governor Cox for his consideration. And there's no new SFW's nominated, we're told on the "Gov deer tag" thread. Let's hope the 2 new guys/gals are sharper.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom