Watcha gonna do?

Watcha gonna do?

• Total voters

Tristate

Long Time Member
919.jpeg

It's opening day of the general season in the middle of the pumpkin patch. You snuck into the valley where your target buck was last seen. You glass up this guy laying down. He's not your target buck but he's even bigger. A couple of extras and I nice heavy frame. You have a nice flat rest and you are almost level with him. Wind is less than 10 mph and your range finder says 5-10 variable. You range him at 623 yards.

There's people everywhere and you are pretty sure a couple of shots from an outdoor writer have already buzzed over your head. You shoot varmints in the head at 500 yards all the time but this is the buck of a lifetime.

What do you do?

View attachment 143302

It's opening day of the general season in the middle of the pumpkin patch. You snuck into the valley where your target buck was last seen. You glass up this guy laying down. He's not your target buck but he's even bigger. A couple of extras and I nice heavy frame. You have a nice flat rest and you are almost level with him. Wind is less than 10 mph and your range finder says 5-10 variable. You range him at 623 yards.

There's people everywhere and you are pretty sure a couple of shots from an outdoor writer have already buzzed over your head. You shoot varmints in the head at 500 yards all the time but this is the buck of a lifetime.

What do you do?
5-10mph variable wind..I’m stalking closer. That’s 10in of drift at 5mph and 20in at 10mph for a good bullet…too variable for me. And that’s assuming no funny wind currents across the canyon that you don’t know about. I’m stalking closer.

Was practicing basically this shot last night..gusting from about 5mph to 12mph at 600 yards and lots of misses both left and right of the plate. In a steady wind that would be a much easier shot.

I can see where being in the Pumpkin Patch is definitely an issue, but I'm getting closer... It doesn't take too long to cut a couple hundreds yards off and I've definitely never shot that far at an animal.

Of course, If this is some kind of cross canyon thing, maybe I'm slinging lead :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Do my best to Get closer.too good of a buck to screw up on and lose I'd try to get in to 2-250 yards that'd be my max if I can't make it to that hopefully I'll get another crack at him.if not..it was nice to see a nice buck

Dial it up and send it! Beforehand though I would make sure I had all my extra shells out so I can reload quick to make sure he stays put. Nothing wrong with a shot off antler you can glue it back on if you find it, if not it just adds character.

I shot an antler off a buck once! But he was about 50 yards away! My dad and brother really laughed and asked what I was looking at :)

Going for a leg shot… that way when he gets chased by the orange mob he will leave a good blood trail. Everyone knows that

I'm encouraged to hear most would try to get closer to take a more ethical shot!! I cringe at some of the long range shots people are taking and posting on social media, which many end up requiring follow up shots.

You are asking for trouble taking long shots, especially on the opening day of a general season hunt. It is unlikely, or very lucky, that you will anchor that deer down without having him get up and attract the attention of other hunters that might be closer than you are. They end up making the final kill shot. By the time you get there they are dragging the deer as fast as possible, knowing someone else is looking for that deer. Take time to get close. If someone beats you there, then it is likely that they would have got the deer either way.

You can hear the wind whipping in the video. I had a 12 mph left to right wind. Tacked on 2 MOA for wind and it was perfect.

The advantage you have with a bedded buck is that you can spend some time with your windometer at your position and then spend time glassing the grass, leaves and mirage between you and the deer. Time behind your rifle on only windless days hurts you.

Niced buck. Nice video. And nice shot. When you practice at that range and know your equipment, that's the result. A good one!

Me on the other hand, I don't practice at that range and don't know my equipment at that range, so I'd need to get about 300 yards closer.

Thanks for sharing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom