Water in the backcountry

CouesFanatic

I am going on a backpacking hunt in Arizona next week. Planning on packing in water. How much water should I plan on using daily. I will be using water for Mountainhouse meals also.

I plan on a liter and a half a day. Most would probably say 2 liters but water is the heaviest thing you will have to carry and I'm a weight fanatic. I always carry a water filter on every trip though but I'm mostly hunting in CO where I can usually find water without much trouble.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-10 AT 09:54PM (MST)[p]Not sure how hot it will be where your at. But I would say anywere from 1 to 3 liters per day. Out here in NV. When I bow hunt in Aug I'll go through almost 3 liters a day (thats cooking water as well). But I know MH meals take more water then the meals I use. So as you can see it can be really hard to pack enough water if it's hot. But there is a fine line. Becuse if you don't drink enough....... And your by your self. You can get your self into a really bad spot. I ran out of water this year once. I did not want to drop off the top if I was not making a stalk. So I glassed for 3hrs with no water. Then it was 2hrs to the bottom to get water. Mind you it was 90+ out that day and I had a 50lbs pack on my back. I almost did not make it to the water in the bottom. Trust me you don't want to chance it. But you don't want to use it all up. Just know your body and what it needs. Also if you think your going to run out of water. Pop some gum in your mouth and put the food away. If I think I'm going to run out. I won't eat till I get to water. Eating food uses the water in your body very fast. So put the food away and chew gum. The gum fools your brain. It makes you think your eating, it also fools your brain into thinking your drinking more water then you really are. Plus it gives you somthing to do. Just somthing to think about!

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I'm pretty sure we won't find water where we are going. It will be around 60 for the high and high 30's for the low. We are packing in 4 gallons to drop off before the hunt and probably 2 more when we go in for the hunt. 1 Gallon is 3.78 liters. 22.7 liters for two people. Its a seven day hunt and we will probably come out once sometime during that to clean up and reload supplies.

I find it hard to believe that you can't find water somewhere within a couple of miles of where you will be hunting. There are fish and game catchments all over the state and at least for the high desert you can always find a spring in the winter months that has water in it. The ranchers of years ago generally have some kind of dammed up spring or coffin tank. If you're in an area where there are cattle fences there is water somewhere by. You just need to know where to look. Find a cotton wood tree or sycamore out in the middle of no-where generally in a drainage and you will find water. Do NOT drink it unless you boil it or purify it first. And if you think about it, deer need water once in a while too. They can't get all their water they need from the vegetation they eat.

GBA

FYI, single serving Mountain House foods use 1 cup of water. I have had a lot of them and I think their great. Chilly Mac is my favorite. I usually eat a two serving by myself, 2 cups hot water and 8 minutes, eat right out of the bag!

GBA

We went into a back area in Co. not knowing if the springs were flowing and planned our meals around water conservation good thing too cuz they were not flowing this year. We looked close at various supermarts and found numerous meals that required no water. They weighed less and have equal or better nutrition value than mountain house and zero water usage or cook stove needed. Uncle bens now has a rice pack ready to eat. There is packaged fully cooked chicken, turkey, ham, beef, salmon. Then all the various noodles. Worked well, was light versus water usage and nutrient value, was filling, and tasted great. Just something to think about. Have fun and good luck!

I wonder why you can't just make your own water? It's two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. Seems simple enough.

Eel

It depends a lot on you. I need far more water than most guys I know. I can go through 3 liters per day easily - and that doesn't include cooking.

One lesson I learned last year is to take more than you think you'll need. It warmed up while I was hunting and I ran out of water. The nearest source was quite difficult and time-consuming to get to. I ended up having to cut my hunt short because of it.

I also require alot of water. A minimum of 3 liters a day. Four liters is better. I don't worry about how much water a mountain house takes. It goes towards getting me rehydrated after a tough day hunting. If I wasn't eating it, I'd be drinking it. If water is available, I have my filter with me, and drink as much as I want. I hate having to ration water!

Don P.

>
>FYI, single serving Mountain House foods
>use 1 cup of water.
>I have had a lot
>of them and I think
>their great. Chilly Mac is
>my favorite. I usually eat
>a two serving by myself,
>2 cups hot water and
>8 minutes, eat right out
>of the bag!
>
>
>GBA
Dittos! im always amazed how good MH is, with 1 exception, Scrambled eggs suuuuuuuck!

I'm with Don P...I always pack 4 liters/day for myself (hunting in southern NM). I usually drink 3 liters per day, which leaves an extra 1 liter for cooking. It may be a little much, but I've been stuck without it before...

If you aren't drinking three to four liters a day (~1 gallon) then you will be running a deficit. This assumes a normal size male with reasonable hunting activity. Add in serious backpacking, exertion, or severe temps and that can go up quite a bit. Whether or not you get your water in your MH meal or by itself, you still need the water. Skimping on water is the best way to compromise your performance very quickly. You may get by for a day or two, but it will catch up with you.

Bill

>I wonder why you can't just
>make your own water? It's
>two parts hydrogen and one
>part oxygen. Seems simple enough.
>
>
>Eel

LOL thats some funny shiz right there!

>If you aren't drinking three to
>four liters a day (~1
>gallon) then you will be
>running a deficit. This assumes
>a normal size male with
>reasonable hunting activity. Add in
>serious backpacking, exertion, or severe
>temps and that can go
>up quite a bit. Whether
>or not you get your
>water in your MH meal
>or by itself, you still
>need the water. Skimping on
>water is the best way
>to compromise your performance very
>quickly. You may get by
>for a day or two,
>but it will catch up
>with you.
>
>Bill

Pure fact right there!

I can't imagine how you think you can get by on less. Is this a fun hunting trip or do you (or your heirs) intend to sell your story to "Man Versus Wild"?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom