Water purifiers....

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I am looking into getting a water system. Is Sawyer the easiest/best? What do you use? Thanks.

I used a Sawyer last year. Lots of work filling (dirty)bag then squeezing through filter. Not good for trying to fill a gallon or more.
Lots less weight than my old Katadyn hiker pro. Still looking for better lightweight system.
I look forward to replies to this thread.

This is the only one to get. If anyone tells you different they are wrong:

B0A95D00-6667-4BB4-9307-BD734D853DA2.jpeg

As a preface to my commentary, I think it helps to make a distinction between "emergency" water filtration and "daily" water filtration.

I think the Sawyer mini works well in the "emergency" category and we do have a few we keep for "go bag" use. They're SLOW though and not super practical for daily use , especially for more than one person.

For 1-2 people, I like the Katadyn Hiker or Hiker Pro, I have both and they're fast enough to filter daily water for a couple people on a multi-day trip. (1-2L/min)

We also have a Katadyn expedition filter weighing in at a whopping 14#. We use it primarily for rafting trips where 4-5L/min is helpful for multi-day groups of 5-10 people where you need 20+ gallons per day.

I'm willing to sacrifice a little in the weight category for speed and reliability -- I've tried some filters that, in a desert environment, you're putting more work/time into filtering than you're getting hydration back out...

Whatever you do, for the love of God, don't depend on anything that runs on a battery! ;) :)

For backpack hunt, I use chlorine drops (2 part system) for drinking and just boil water for cooking. Also use the 2 part iodine pills as a back up. Never had a problem and light as hell.

For backpack hunt, I use chlorine drops (2 part system) for drinking and just boil water for cooking. Also use the 2 part iodine pills as a back up. Never had a problem and light as hell.
This is assuming you have located a fairly clean water source? When I was a kid, my Dad would use chlorine drops but I feel if the water isn't all that clean, that may not be good enough. I'm sure out of mountain lakes, that would be sufficient but what about out of a murky river or something like that? My concern would be not being able to find a relatively clean water source.

I second what Utahlefty said above in post number 4.

I use a Katadyn. Super quick. I carry a small lightweight Sawyer for a backup on big trips or for emergencies on day trips.

I have friends that use the Sawyers without issue. They are slower but on the bright side, I get to take a nap while I wait for them to finish refilling their water bottles.

Check out the Platypus QuickDraw, coupled with both a dirty bag and a set of clean platy-bags. BY FAR the quickest way to get clean water. I used it all summer/early fall and it's been a game changer.

I like the Sawyer squeeze because I have an in-line connection for it to my water bladder in my pack. I hate having to empty my pack to refill my water

This is assuming you have located a fairly clean water source? When I was a kid, my Dad would use chlorine drops but I feel if the water isn't all that clean, that may not be good enough. I'm sure out of mountain lakes, that would be sufficient but what about out of a murky river or something like that? My concern would be not being able to find a relatively clean water source.
"Fairly" clean creeks, but also seeps out the sides of mountains, in marshy areas. I just get the best that I can. All good.

The worst was a standing pond, I brushed away some insects and vegetation and hit it with the pills, waited an extra few minutes then neutralized it. There were a couple of crunchy specks, but nothing I was going to worry about and it didn't affect me. Using pills/chlorine has never been a problem. I've been backpack hunting a long time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom