Water Treatment Grit Snail

Captain_coues

Very Active Member
I did a roofing job at a water treatment plant almost 20 years ago. One piece of equipment I saw was a Grit Snail. It’s job was to take the fine solids and separate them from the process. I noticed it caught a lot of corn. I assume it’s undigested from poo. Also earrings and small chains like you would see on ear rings. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with one of those and can tell stories of things they’ve found. I can’t seem to find anything on the web about interesting finds.

There are lots of people around here who can talk S&^T.

Anyway, on a related note, back in the 80s CSU in Fort Collins developed a bowel transit time study. Theory was that bile might be a carcinogen and that the longer it remained in the body, the greater chance for cancer to develop.

Prevailing thought was that if there was a way to decrease bowel transit time, there would be a lesser chance for cancer to develop.

The study provided a group of similar people the same diet, then at the magic moment, have them swallow a peanut whole and then mark time when the peanut revealed itself. Once that task was completed, the subjects continued with the same diet and then began either aerobic or an anaerobic exercise plan. Towards the end of the study they would swallow a different peanut and wait for the magic moment.

The end result was the each group decreased bowel transit time, giving evidence that any form of exercise would decrease bowel transit time = less time for bile to remain in the body which (should) decrease chances for cancer of the intestinal tract.

We called it the S*&T study.

Corn...well, the stuff inside the corn shell will disintegrate. The shell will remain for nearly eternity.

I made a couple of trips thru a turd laundry in my day.

The worst one I was ever in was Window Rock AZ. I got to stand on the observation platform at the top of the Archimedes screw that lifted the raw sewage about 30’. Balloons and party whistles were common and I was genuinely afraid of what I might see.

The most impressive were two giant (10 figure contracts) post 9/11 upgrades to a couple of water treatment plants. Besides the regular filtration systems, they had massive uv beds for essentially sterilization.

Sewage treatment plants are awful.(n)

Wastewater treatment plants generally try to turn the poo/piss from a city into a non-smelly product which can then, sometimes, be turned into fertilizer. Can you imagine what would happen if the treatment plant for a large city were to be compromised? $$$, it would be an economic disaster.

I did the rebuild of a cat lady's house. Literally she had a house next door that had 27 cats living in it.

Thank you. Ill take the trophy now

The entire park on top of the tunnel section of I-10 thru Phoenix was ammended with composted human manure from the 91st avenue treatment plant. Hundreds of truckloads.

So nasty I moved.

Probably used for animal feed now.

Waste water treatment plant operator for 23 years. You have to have a sense of humor. Tampon applicators are not biodegradable. Condoms can be stretched to sizes of a trash bag. Needles are a serious issue. Prairie dogs don't last long in raw ? water. Hot wheels are a top 10 flushed item found. Queen sized bed sheets can be flushed. Never found 1 live gold fish but did find a turtle. Paper money is quite tough. Can always tell when corn is in season. Humans excrete a crazy amount if grease. Just because the razor says 'disposable' does not mean it is biodegradable. A 30" piece of 3/4 inch pipe can get around 2 consecutive 6 inch 90's.

More WTF moments than I can remember.

Last edited:
Waste water treatment plant operator for 23 years. You have to have a sense of humor. Tampon applicators are not biodegradable. Condoms can be stretched to sizes of a trash bag. Needles are a serious issue. Prairie dogs don't last long in raw ? water. Hot wheels are a top 10 flushed item found. Queen sized beds can be flushed. Never found 1 live gold fish but did find a turtle. Paper money is quite tough. Can always tell when corn is in season. Humans excrete a crazy amount if grease. Just because the razor says 'disposable' does not mean it is biodegradable. A 30" piece of 3/4 inch pipe can get around 2 consecutive 6 inch 90's.

More WTF moments than I can remember.
Lmmfao
Crazy

They are great for ducks and geese! Thats why I stopped hunting waterfowl for the most part cause I'm not eating someone else's $hit.

They are great for ducks and geese! Thats why I stopped hunting waterfowl for the most part cause I'm not eating someone else's $hit.
That’s what my dad said always a chukar hunter. He was an iron worker saw his fair share you ducks visit Sh!t ponds.

There are lots of people around here who can talk S&^T.

Anyway, on a related note, back in the 80s CSU in Fort Collins developed a bowel transit time study. Theory was that bile might be a carcinogen and that the longer it remained in the body, the greater chance for cancer to develop.

Prevailing thought was that if there was a way to decrease bowel transit time, there would be a lesser chance for cancer to develop.

The study provided a group of similar people the same diet, then at the magic moment, have them swallow a peanut whole and then mark time when the peanut revealed itself. Once that task was completed, the subjects continued with the same diet and then began either aerobic or an anaerobic exercise plan. Towards the end of the study they would swallow a different peanut and wait for the magic moment.

The end result was the each group decreased bowel transit time, giving evidence that any form of exercise would decrease bowel transit time = less time for bile to remain in the body which (should) decrease chances for cancer of the intestinal tract.

We called it the S*&T study.

Corn...well, the stuff inside the corn shell will disintegrate. The shell will remain for nearly eternity.
Magnesium Citrate sure reduces bowel transit time. It gives you barely enough time to avoid premature releases.

Christmas tree in a manhole. Drumsticks in a lift station pump. Cell phones, rings, necklaces. Underwear, bedsheets and bath towels. Wet wipes are the worst thing in the world for sewer operators.

I retired as Supervisor of a wastewater collection dept. 1800 miles of line and 52 Lift Stations. Whoever said "There's money in that $h't", is absolutely correct. Could go days telling of the experiences.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom