WBY problem

EVILNR

Very Active Member
Long story short: had this gun less than 2 years, just now getting around to seriously working/hunting with it. It's MKV
7mmWBY and it has a 2.5 x 8 Leupold variX3. I have replaced the original Lasermark stock with a B&C composite.
The problem is this: First shot, dead on the money @100 yds.
2nd shot high about 3 inches, 3rd shot even higher, and so on and so on until it gets about 12-14 inches high and off to the left about 3-4 inches. It does this with every handload combination I have tried with RL25 and Nosler Accubonds and Partitions, also does the same with factory WBY ammo shooting Partitions and Hornadys. It also did this with the original lasermark wood stock (the reason I replaced the stock).
I have even free floated the barrel back to within about 3 inches of the recoil lug, hoping to relieve stress when the barrel is heating up.
My handloads are below max and I take my time when shooting (about 1.5 Hr. for 20 rounds) but it still exhibits the same shooting "pattern". I say that because the best groups are around 3 inches. As it is now, this thing is useless. And I have an out of state mule deer hunt coming in November. Should
I go back to my tried and true Rem.700's? This WBY WAS my dream rifle.....kind of disgusted with it now.
thoughts?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-08 AT 01:56PM (MST)[p]I'll give you 300 bucks for it?

I have to ask, why get a lasermark then put a synthetic stock on it?

as to your problem, i really dont know. you say it climbs 14", then say it shoots a 3" group, which is it? may try a pressure point at the end of the barrel, or better yet, if the gun hasn't been shot much and you are the original owner, send it back to wby, they do have a 1 1/2 inch gaurentee.

after re-reading your post, i see why the stock change.

still even if the barrel had a pressure point on the side, i still dont think it would climb like that, i have never had heat move poi that far. was the original stock properly bedded?

Process of elimination. You changed the stock, changed the scope and have used several loads and none of these things have changed your results. Only thing you did not mention is the scope mounting system. When you replaced the scope, did you replace the rings too? Might want to check the scope mounts and rings. You have probably already done this as it sounds so simple, but it could be your problem. Doubt it, but its a thought.

264X300

Sounds like a scope problem to me too.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

I would have to agree with a scope or scope mounting system problem. based on the fact it jumps 3 inches from the first to second shot and keeps going up on the shots that follow. I base this on he has changed stocks, stock on it now is free floated and a barrel pressure point is not causing the problem. That is if the action is fitted to the stock where it is not moving around on recoil. that is a whole other ball game.
I just got back from the range from shooting a heavy recoiling rifle that will shoot 1 inch groups with the hunting load I use. After the second shot, the shots started going all over the target. Examined the rifle and found that one of the rear base mount side screws,a screw you use to lock down the dove tail and for windage adjustment, had the section holding the ring dovetail break off. Every shot there after resulted in the scope moving due to the heavy recoil.
It was a leupold base and rings.
This could be your problem with a bad mounting system, or your scope reticle may be bad and will move on just about every shot. Check the base and rings first, if they seem ok, switch scopes to determined if you have a damaged scope needing repair. The only thing left is a possble bad barrel, but that is not that common of a problem with a Weatherby.

RELH

Thanks for all the responses, ideas. Just a little more info:
The Leupold bases/rings are new and "Loc-tited" in. It's a different scope (first scope was also leupy in 4.5-14x50)I also thought it might be a scope problem and I am amazed that it does exactly the same thing with all the changes. I have now installed a pressure point in the form of some card stock towards the end of the barrel and hope to get to the range soon. Also going to try some different bullet/powder loads.
Not really optimistic at this point however.

Also, to clarify someones ? about the 3"patterns. This happens after the barrel has had about 4-5 shots through it and it "tops out" about 12" above the point of aim and slightly to the left.At this point any load you put through it hits in this area (high/left). If you let the barrel completely cool down it starts all over: first shot is dead on and then it starts climbing.
Those 3" patterns are the best it will do and thats with factory Weatherby 175 grain .

thanks again guys, just nice to be able to vent my frustrations.

a friend of mine had an old military action that someone turned into a 300 norma mag with a real heavy, over 1" thick barrel. that gun would start shooting higher as it got warmer. he had the gun taken apart and the barrel wasn't true( in line) with the action. he had the barrel rethreaded to fit a remington action, rechamber to 300 rem ultra mag and the action trued to the barrel. now it's a great shooter.
did you ever talk to weatherby....possily send to them to testfire and correct. ce61 p.s. them under 300 dollar stevens model 200 that shoot under 1" that i shoot are lookin'pretty good

With that new infromation, you just may have a barrel with stress problems. Heat will cause the problem to increase. Try the full pressure point you mentioned. put the cards about 2-3 inches back from the forend tip and try to make it about 5-8 pounds of pressure on the barrel when you tighten the action down.
There is a fair chance that you barrel will react to a full contact pressure point. It's just a matter if it will be enought. I have ran across rifles that shot better with pressure points over freefloating. I ran across one rifle that would not shoot good goups with either free floating or pressure point. I fully glass bedded that barrel for full contact it's intire lenght and it shot 1/2 inch groups.
If your pressure point does not do the trick, I would put the factory stock back on it and ship it to Weatherby for repairs after calling them and explaining the problem. I bet you get a new barrel out of it.

RELH

Thanks again guys, it's nice to hear others opinions.
I'm going to try this pressure point near the end of the
stock and see what happens. Not really expecting it to help.
I hope i get surprised. If this doesnt work, I guess I'll
be calling Weatherby.
This gun reminds me of an ex-girlfriend. Nice looking,
kind of expensive, loved to fondle her, and I really wanted
to keep her, but she just didn't function properly.

REDDOG, i got a kick out of your $300 offer. Sometimes a guy gets desperate. I had a new Mark V Weatherby in .257 WM that no matter what i tried, couldn't get to shoot on paper. I traded it straight across for a M77 .270Win w/straight 6 redfield scope. I needed the gun for a out of state hunt...desperate.

It turned out that the guy i traded with, Harry Schuger, shooters supply, Hayward Ca., sold it to a known buck hunter in my home town area. Turns out that the new owner had it fully glass bedded, shot great for him, and he loves the gun like no other, claims it's a tack driver...

Sometimes it just takes time, sometimes a guy doesn't have time. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Joey

Save yourself a lot of hassle and frustration.

Strap the original lazermark stock on that dog and send it back to Weatherby just like it came out of the box. Let them sort through the sucker.

I have a Mark V .257 Wby Deluxe that I could not get to shoot consistently with anything (factory or hand loaded). After more frustration than I would like to elaborate on I sent it to thier service center (call first to get a Return Authorization Number). I had it back in a week or so with new bedding and a trued up crown...I just shot some loads last weekend that were very consistent and the nicest 3 shot group was .453 center to center. I now love the gun...and I was ready to sell it for $300 LOL.

It will come around, but don't try to figure a Wby out on your own...it can be done, but the experts will have it shooting for you so you can hunt with it in November.

FWIW.

Sage, i would probly give him 500 for it !

I had to send back a wby accumark a few years ago for a head space issue, i found that wby customer service was a lot better than i had expected. it took them about a month, but i got a new barrel and a great shooting rifle, at no cost to me except the shipping out.

Howdy,

300Winnie is giving you some really GOOD advice. Don't be afraid to send it back, they guaranteed it would shoot under two minutes, if it doesn't, let them work it out.

Coach

I would guess a barrel problem, maybe some fire cracking in the throat of the barrel, usually with barrel problems your group will climb veritcally as the barrel heats up. Have a gunsmith look at the barrel with a bore scope

The mark v action is kinda picky about things like gaurd screw tension and bedding even if the barrel is fully floated sometimes after a trigger job they won't shoot until everything is tightened to specs and in sequence. Maybe give it to a weatherby expert and have it checked before going through another stock change just to send it back. Either way weatherby will fix the problem.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom