Weak 300 win mag rounds?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
What are some factory loads I can buy that are as weak as possible? I would love to use my 300 win mag for deer and possibly antelope if I can find something that is more pleasant to shoot then normal rounds.

Maybe get the 50 JFP!

50 BMG Case Necked down to .17!

I Built this one Myself!

9.200 fps!

.17-50.jpg

Plain orange box bulk HSM is pretty weak. I shot an elk at 400 yards in high cross wind that blew the bullet into the liver. Bullet stopped under the hide on the other side.

Of the 300 win mag is too much recoil, I’d suggest buying a different gun rather than trying to tamper down the round itself.

And that is not a “tough guy” post. Recoil is an issue that makes us shoot poorly, and it impacts some more than others. Recoil is a factor we have to take into consideration.

You could also get a nice pad and muzzle brake. You could also look into a suppressor, although it takes a while.

I agree with the above posts... (in this order)

A) Find a more forgiving caliber
B) Invest in a brake
C) Try to find reduced recoil ammo

My wife hunted with my .300 Win Mag a couple of years ago and did fine with it. It's a Christensen Arms Mesa and came with factory brake. She's 5'1" and 110 lbs. It shoots 180 grain factory loads. It wouldn't have been possible without the brake.

I am fine with the recoil but it is not fun and in the right (or wrong position depending on how you look at it) there is potential for stiches if you are forced into shooing a steep shot. I do not need to kill the hillside behind my target. I love my gun (it is a tikka) and want to hunt smaller game with it.

Thanks for the ideas, do any of them actually say reduced recoil or anything like that?

I am probably going to get a muzzle brake. I am concerned about the noise. I am not in the habit of wearing hearing protection when hunting. Always at the range. I have tinnitus already and do not want to make it worse.

Looks like the Remington and Hornady reduced recoil stuff is hard to find right now.

Get in the habit of wearing ear protection while hunting! You'll love yourself for it! Took me a minute to remember to throw my earplugs around my neck when I leave camp, but now it's a habit. I make my kids do the same and they don't know any different. They've never got in my way or been a hinderance.

I put a break on my 300 WM I can shoot it all day. In fact I have muzzle breaks on all 3 of my main hunting rifles.I wouldn’t own another rifle without one.

Plain orange box bulk HSM is pretty weak. I shot an elk at 400 yards in high cross wind that blew the bullet into the liver. Bullet stopped under the hide on the other side.
Have you chronographed the load to know it is weak or are you just going by the penetration from that one shot? Bullets do funny things on animals at times and that doesn't always indicate the load itself is weak. I once had a 210 grain barnes bullet from a .338 win mag fail to exit a 90 pound impala. It was not a weak load, it was a fluke the way it was stopped in the animal and there is no explanation other than that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom