Weather and Rain in the Wasatch?

nocwalker

Hey guys, I just want to be prepaired

I'm gonna prepair for 35 to 75 degrees, Does that sound right for the Wasatch unit at 7000' to 9000, during the first 2 wks of Sept?

And, will the waterproof lightweight raingear be correct?

Thanks nocwalker

Yep you are right on, the wasatch has been getting rain almost daily the last couple of weeks, and that pattern usually continues into mid september. You defiantly want rain gear and be prepared for cold during that time of year I have seen it hit 80 degrees and snow in the the same week!

I got soaked last weekend! Only brought the coat with. Dumb. Walking through wet vegetation isn't enjoyable. Going to find a good pair of gaiters as well.

Make sure the rain gear you have is puncture resistant as well. I picked up some Sitka Stormfront rain gear on sale at Camofire. I've discovered that every species of vegetation here in Utah is designed to pierce, puncture, or tear your gear...in the worst possible place and at the most inconvenient time.

>I got soaked last weekend! Only
>brought the coat with. Dumb.
>Walking through wet vegetation isn't
>enjoyable. Going to find a
>good pair of gaiters as
>well.
>
>Make sure the rain gear you
>have is puncture resistant as
>well. I picked up some
>Sitka Stormfront rain gear on
>sale at Camofire. I've discovered
>that every species of vegetation
>here in Utah is designed
>to pierce, puncture, or tear
>your gear...in the worst possible
>place and at the most
>inconvenient time.

Did you get the storm front recently? Do they still have some?

Tallbuck1

Thanks guys,

I was going to pick up some light weight packable raingear next week or the thin cabelas stuff. From what I'm reading from you guys, you think it will get tore up? Is that correct? if so I'll need to rethink. I've been using the t-50 stuff for awhile here in the east, my opinion is its kinda crappy and stay wet, but, for where I use it its not too bad. That sitka and comparible stuff is pretty pricey, is there an alternative thats not as expensive?

This raingear thing has been bugging me for a few years, I think that the top end stuff might be worth it if it will last for quite awhile. one problem is there doesn't seem to be too many places to go and look at this stuff.

nocwalker

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-12 AT 12:38PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-12 AT 12:37?PM (MST)

I do have the Sitka Stormfront top and bottoms. They aren't "ultra light" but they are tough. Used them again this past weekend while scouting. Got rained on hard Friday evening. Stayed dry though. You could always try calling them to see if they have any left over. I picked it up a few months ago.

**edit**
Always go a size larger on Sitka gear when ordering!

**edit again**
I was walking through some nasty oak brush and sage...no punctures...and I fell a couple times decending into that stuff.

I love the light Cabelas stuff but ONLY if you're going to sit. Use something more substantial if you plan on hiking in it. Also, don't get an insulated rain top. Build your own layers to suit the conditions.
Zeke
PS: Good luck nocwalker. I might bump into you while I'm up there with a nephew and a son-in-law.

Thanks Guys, I bought a set of the MT050 gear again, I can use it here so its ok if I still buy more. I also bought a Spacerain top figuring I could save weight that way with heavier bottoms and a lighter top. Still may look at more rain gear before we go.

Thanks again nocwalker.

theres also a cabelas and sportsmens warehouse that is close by your hunt unit if you need some supplies that you forgot from you travels from the steel curtain land

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom