Weatherby Misfire

35huntdeer

I purchased a new Weatherby Accumark a couple years ago, and had trouble with misfires.... When it misfires the primer either has no mark, or very small mark.
Sent it in to "their gunsmith", and it still misfires. I've never owned a Weatherby,and this will be my last. Has anyone had, or heard of this problem with Weatherby?
P.S. My buddy bought the same gun, same caliber, and has the same problem.

When does this happen? All the time, meaning hot weather, cold weather, rain etc. I know of guns having troubles like this because of different cleaning solvents used. WD40 for example becomes really thick in cold weather. Hoppes used to have a powder solvent that became sticky in really hot weather. And just about any oil becomes sticky if it gets wet.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-19 AT 00:35AM (MST)[p]Since it was sent to the gunsmith to repair, I am betting he just replaced the firing pin spring. If this happen during below freezing temps, you need to remove the firing pin and spring and remove all oil or grease from them and also degrease the firing pin chamber in the bolt.
Even a little oil on those parts will slow the firing pin down enough to cause light hits in freezing weather.

If hunting in freezing temps, all oil or grease should be removed from the firing pin, firing pin spring and inside the firing pin chamber to avoid misfires. You can use powder graphite to lubricate those parts and it will not cause light firing pin hits on the primer. Something I learned while in Alaska.

RELH

I agree with RELH, and would also mention, when storing your gun store it barrel down. Gravity over time will move lube, and whatever else is in it. Iv never had a problem with Weatherby's, but had slow, soft strikes one a Rugar American in very cold temps. Cleaned it up and its ok now. Also i reload, and have had some really tough primers , back when obummer had componants hard to get. I think they were euro made but cant remember... try a good cleaning, and store it muzzle down and see if that helps

Yes, I would say it happens more often in colder temps. But 20- 40 degree temps is not that cold. It's happened in warmer temps too. I've disassembled the bolt and checked the spring, and fireing pin. Cleaned it... It really was not dirty, or too much lube. I've just never had a rifle not go "bang" when I pull the trigger.
Not sure what to do...
When I talk to Weatherby they pretty much say if they can't get the rifle to misfire, then there is no problem.

Since you know how to take apart the bolt, do this. Remove the firing pin and spring. Without the spring put the firing pin back into the bolt chamber and push it forward as far as it will go. You should see the firing pin sticking out of the bolt face. Take a caliper and measure how much of the firing pin is sticking out. You should have around 50-60 thousands protrusion. If less then 50 thousand, then THIS MAY BE your problem. Also check for any burrs that may be interfering with the firing pin travel.

Also have it checked for excessive headspace. As for the oil or grease in the firing pin chamber, what you feel is not excessive may be too much. If it is grease, 40 degree temps can gum it up enough to slow down the firing pin. CLEAN ALL GREASE OR OIL OUT OF THE FIRING PIN CHAMBER AND OFF THE FIRING PIN AND SPRING THEN TEST FIRE THE RIFLE AFTER IT HAS BEEN OUT IN FREEZING TEMPS FOR 1-2 HOURS.

RELH

Definitely take the bolt apart and degrease the firing pin and spring. If that isn't the culprit it's probably a weak spring or even possibly the firing pin may be too short. A new spring is easier than sending it back to Weatherby. If that doesn't work send it back and yeah Weatherby doesn't make junk.

I purchased a new Weatherby Accumark a couple years ago, and had trouble with misfires.... When it misfires the primer either has no mark, or very small mark.
Sent it in to "their gunsmith", and it still misfires. I've never owned a Weatherby,and this will be my last. Has anyone had, or heard of this problem with Weatherby?
P.S. My buddy bought the same gun, same caliber, and has the same problem.
I bought a 6.5 rpm Mark 5. Brand new never fired bolt stuck. Dealer sent it back to weatherby. Factor reamed and polished chamber. It was gone 6 mths. The bolt still sticks and I'm getting misfires. Dealer sent back to factory second time and I haven't heard back as of yet what they are going to do.

Why does weatherby send brand new rifles out with weak firing springs. Never had a problem with my Remington's, Mossberg, Ruger, or smith and westons. I hunt in cold weather, maybe weatherby is not the right gun for upstate, ny.

An update on my Weatherby. So I sent it back to them. If I remember right, they ended up replacing the bolt. I haven't had troubles since. But it was a nightmare trying to get it done right.

I Haven't seen Many Issues With Weatherby Guns!

But I'd Make Weatherby Fix It or That F'N Gun Would Be Going Down The Road!

About The time It Costs You A Trophy Animal..........................!

I've Got a Weatherby Vanguard Stainless Varmit Gun That Gets Soaked In WD-40/REM-OIL once a Year & I Don't Take The Bolt Apart to Clean The Oil Off!

Never Had An Issue No Matter How Cold it is!

And Yes,I Know You Shouldn't Use WD-40!

I Do Know There Are Guns Built So Precise/Tight The Expansion & Contraction With Temperatures Will Cause The Problem You Are Having!

Cheaper Built Guns With Lots Of Slop hardly Ever Have The Issue!

Thanks everyone for their inputs. Just to clarify a little. The bolt has never stuck after a shot. Only when unloading does this happen. So far this rifle has only fired 20 rounds to break in and 5 to site in. Hunted this last season and did miss a buck because of a misfires. Rifle on its way back to weatherby.

I was thinking about a savage because my father had a 300 lever that he used for 60 years and never had a problem. My brother has several savages and not one problem. There savages also cost less than half what I paid for the weatherby. Go figure.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom