Well Boys....

Mike0426

Well boys it that time of year again! The time I hate the most. Which is waiting to see if I’ll be able to hunt this year! What are we thinking? Early, late? I know AZ had record numbers this year and draw came out later than usual. Hope that doesn’t happen here in NM. With the big incentive to get apps in before March 10, I’m sure hoping results come sooner rather than later, but with the expected numbers of applicants probably being a new record, I can only hope!

Good Luck!

Yeah, this is an exciting time of year. This year is easy for me. I bought a few raffle tickets from Epic Outdoors and two weeks ago I won an Alaskan Dall Sheep hunt in August. I actually got on NM G&F and cancelled my antelope and sheep applications because the dates overlapped! It felt strange and good.

On the other hand, it is my 9 year old sons first year in the draw so I'm really hoping he draws a good one or two. If he was a few years older he would be coming with me to Alaska!!

Best of luck to you all....

Cory

Good Luck!

Yeah, this is an exciting time of year. This year is easy for me. I bought a few raffle tickets from Epic Outdoors and two weeks ago I won an Alaskan Dall Sheep hunt in August. I actually got on NM G&F and cancelled my antelope and sheep applications because the dates overlapped! It felt strange and good.

On the other hand, it is my 9 year old sons first year in the draw so I'm really hoping he draws a good one or two. If he was a few years older he would be coming with me to Alaska!!

Cory
What outfitter are you going with?

Longest 3-5 weeks of the year, but exciting! Just remember, there is NO WAY results can be posted before April 8th due to harvest report deadline. So I don't want to see threads about "Are the results available yet" till then! haha

Good Luck!

Cory
Congratulations! That’s awesome hope to see your follow up after the hunt on here. I listened to there podcast and watched there YouTube on the giveaway that’s pretty epic haha!

Last year was April 22nd and other years it seems like we had results around the Turkey opener on April 15th or 16th. AZ was delayed because of the new Portal system. COVID and an increase in applicants aren't legitimate excuses.

I’m thinking it will be the 21st also. Turkey and bear were super quick this year.

I think they have the system buttoned up finally, no back doors to be found anymore. I’ll miss that, it added to each years excitement. Years ago when they were consistently sending success emails at 5pm the night before official results we would get together and shoot our bows and wait for the lucky ones to get excited!

Roadrunner the way it works now here in communist New Mexico if you go to the border and come back to the US they will give you a motel room free health and dental even vision and then they will give you a check every month we need to stick together and vote this president and governor out of office they are already going to hell

Today is the deadline for harvest reports, so it could come at any time starting tomorrow! However, if the last 3 years are any reference, they will be out 1 week early, so the 21st. You have to go back 4 years when they were released 2 weeks early.

These last few harvest reports are irrelevant. The number of tags are already set by trend analysis of past data.

I'm probably wrong though.

These last few harvest reports are irrelevant. The number of tags are already set by trend analysis of past data.

I'm probably wrong though.
Has nothing to do with setting the tag numbers for this upcoming draw. Its the deadline to fill out your mandatory report. If you don't fill it out, you get automatically rejected in this draw for all your apps. So they have to give everyone till the deadline before they start the draw.

Has nothing to do with setting the tag numbers for this upcoming draw. Its the deadline to fill out your mandatory report. If you don't fill it out, you get automatically rejected in this draw for all your apps. So they have to give everyone till the deadline before they start the draw.
Oh well I guess for those that space it off for eariler hunts. The only ones legit for yesterday should be March tag holders for oryx, barbs, and javs...

Oh well I guess for those that space it off for eariler hunts. The only ones legit for yesterday should be March tag holders for oryx, barbs, and javs...
Right, exactly. Deadline for the earlier hunts already passed. Today was the deadline for the species you mentioned.

There is little doubt it will be the 21st with recent history. They always have sent emails on the big game draw at tleast through 2020. Good Luck to all.

Well hate to be the guy who brings the bad news but NM had 63,000 more applications than last year. Last year was a record high at 223,000 apps. So our drawing odds went down again

Well hate to be the guy who brings the bad news but NM had 63,000 more applications than last year. Last year was a record high at 223,000 apps. So our drawing odds went down again
That is insane. What is driving all the new record setting apps the last couple yrs in most states?

Man and they keep telling us in the mainstream news that hunting is dying out and hunter numbers are going down. Well Jeez, what data are they looking at. All I see is more interest in the outdoors and hunting and fishing. I have gotten so used to seeing RED in my hunt apps, I thought I had developed color blind cataracts or something...:)

Can you imagine what it is going to be like trying to draw a tag in 20 years! I have only been applying out west for about 15 years and it has changed immensely. I feel fortunate that I have 15 points for several species in several states. I am guaranteed some pretty good hunts over the next 15 years but I feel for people just getting started. The unit I am trying to draw in CO for elk took 7 points when I started and it will end of taking about 19 to draw - because of point creep I gain less than a half a point each year. How many points will that tag take to draw for someone just getting started 40+ - that is insane and a realistic guess. Even better I can get 3 OTC buck tags here (lots of doe tags), 3 OTC turkey tags, and unlimited small game hunting. As the odds get lower people start putting their kids in, their wife, their neighbors, etc. just hoping to get to join a hunt - its what I did this year.

No data yet on R vs NR that I'm aware of, but the total number of applicants didn't go up super-significantly (obviously more than last year, however). It appears most regular applicants just put in for more species than they usually do across the board (source: NMDGF communication). Id wager that deer/elk odds will not be as affected by this as exotic species hunt odds.
Then again, I might be totally wrong!

ya where is your source for that number ? 63 more apps? usually its in the 20-25k increase year over year so you would be talking 300 % increase do you have a valid source?

Im confused as the handle muleman is the one who quoted 63k more applications, so you are confirming this data in his post?

I only put in for sheep this year. Deer and elk interfered with other hunts. I've been very lucky too, I drew deer and elk last year and deer the year before. I can't imagine 63k more applications.

ok thanks for the clarification i was going to say 63k more didnt seem right as we usually average year over year 20-23 k more than previous and last year was like 223k app i believe

Ill defer to RIO Can you provide or direct us to the total number of apps AS i know you work for GF . is the number available to the public as of yet on numbers ?

Muleman is correct in the 63K for 2021..
As mentioned above it is public information that the department has always shared once total numbers are gathered and audits processed. One can always submit an IPRA request and pay for the numbers.
Don't ask me when the draw is as you know I will not say . The previous 5 years the department has released results early , tho the RIB has a printed release date of April 28. There may be an early release if the draw is processed but that would be decided by the department leadership . It does no good to call the G&F offices and ask the information center when the results will be as they all are aware of the printed date and are instructed to respond as such & if and when an early release is decided the staff will be notified on the release date. So until then go turkey hunting , take a kid or older person fishing and enjoy the days, and always , best regards...TALK AT YA ALL in a couple weeks...

Last edited:
Could it not be less group apps and more solo apps?

I could see COVID19 causing that, i.e. travel restrictions for groups.

Thanks RIO I knew you would have the accurate information. I know better than to ask for draw results from you. However i also know you take a certain pleasure in teasing us a bit. I will def be taking a turkey trip leaving WED morning with my old man.

So if we had 220k in 2020 plus 63k more we are looking at roughly 283k apps . That is crazy numbers

Muleman is correct in the 63K for 2021..
As mentioned above it is public information that the department has always shared once total numbers are gathered and audits processed. One can always submit an IPRA request and pay for the numbers.
Don't ask me when the draw is as you know I will not say . The previous 5 years the department has released results early , tho the RIB has a printed release date of April 28. There may be an early release if the draw is processed but that would be decided by the department leadership . It does no good to call the G&F offices and ask the information center when the results will be as they all are aware of the printed date and are instructed to respond as such & if and when an early release is decided the staff will be notified on the release date. So until then go turkey hunting , take a kid or older person fishing and enjoy the days, and always , best regards...TALK AT YA ALL in a couple weeks...
Apologies folks. Apparently my department announced inaccurate information to us. Just goes to show, don’t believe everything you read on the internet! Thanks for clarifying, Riohuntnutt. I will go back to lurking.

Thanks RIO I knew you would have the accurate information. I know better than to ask for draw results from you. However i also know you take a certain pleasure in teasing us a bit. I will def be taking a turkey trip leaving WED morning with my old man.

So if we had 220k in 2020 plus 63k more we are looking at roughly 283k apps . That is crazy numbers
Headed out opening day for turkey as well and packing my fly rod as the property is along the Chama...Turkey in the am , wet a line after...

Wow, that's a huge increase in apps. If I did my math correctly, here is what the previous 3 years looked like. Nothing even close to that.

2018​
2019​
yoy
2020​
yoy
Resident
161,391​
164,020​
1.6%​
172,674​
5.3%​
NonResident
26,727​
28,460​
6.5%​
29,484​
3.6%​
Outfitter
14,658​
16,284​
11.1%​
18,497​
13.6%​
Total
202,776​
208,764​
3.0%​
220,655​
5.7%​

Apologies folks. Apparently my department announced inaccurate information to us. Just goes to show, don’t believe everything you read on the internet! Thanks for clarifying, Riohuntnutt. I will go back to lurking.

That's a little unsettling. A NMDGF employee lurking. Guess I need to be careful what I say and maybe I'll draw a tag for a change.

Oh, crap. Maybe next year...:censored:

So the department did a big push for more people to apply so that they can collect more application fees while dropping my draw odds. I want to know how this extra application money is going to be spent on.

So the department did a big push for more people to apply so that they can collect more application fees while dropping my draw odds. I want to know how this extra application money is going to be spent on.
Have you gone on the website and read their strategic plan and funding documents?

About a 30% increase ...wow.
If someone usually puts in for one species and this year applies for 4 species, is that counted as 4 apps? If so, is there a way to figure out new applicants? Like number of license sold??

An increase for one guy going from 1 to 4 apps are 3 more place holders you have to compete against to have your app looked at.

Yes, your odds effectively go down. Each app ahead of yours decreases your chances not only in the first pecking order, but for the species and hunt codes you select.

I was just wondering how many of the 63k are new to hunting NM? Or if it’s a lot of the same people just trying for more hunts. I for one would always do Ibex. When funds, vacation, and knowing for sure hunt would not effect other hunts I would apply for other species. Getting close to 60 and seeing how the hunting world is changing (mainly towards NR) I apply for everything possible and will work out the logistics latter.

Well.....

6D623E25-CD8D-4835-9D83-029A8DDA2B7B.gif

They got rid of the edit mailing address for tags so I guess that's one step closer. It said it wouldn't be available after April 1st but they just barely took it off yesterday or today.

They got rid of the edit mailing address for tags so I guess that's one step closer. It said it wouldn't be available after April 1st but they just barely took it off yesterday or today.
Yeah, last year I was able to switch to E-Tag to check my results and then switch back to mailing so I could get the physical tag mailed to me. Looks like they locked that. Still doesn't mean if you chose E-Tag, results might be earlier. We'll see.

Lots of "backdoors" were ruined by social media. They've got the system locked up pretty well now. Few years ago there was one that had something to do with the app # or the color of the app # but that got fixed the next year.

I was just wondering how many of the 63k are new to hunting NM? Or if it’s a lot of the same people just trying for more hunts. I for one would always do Ibex. When funds, vacation, and knowing for sure hunt would not effect other hunts I would apply for other species. Getting close to 60 and seeing how the hunting world is changing (mainly towards NR) I apply for everything possible and will work out the logistics latter.
63k are dead dems that also voted this year in the election..... just kidding everybody!!! leave your feelings outside the forums

State puts more effort into keeping these kind of results secure than security for voting, crime, drivers licenses,......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

At least we all get to feel safe behind our masks LOL

State puts more effort into keeping these kind of results secure than security for voting, crime, drivers licenses,......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

At least we all get to feel safe behind our masks LOL
Because the draw process is done third party that doesn't use dominion software and servers.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom