Well shucks, any ideas?

Servehim

Very Active Member
Greetings guys, looking for words of wisdom on burning my 20 nr deer points this year. I was seriously considering the December rifle hunt in unit 27, that might seem crazy to a bunch of you but I've seen a few whoppers on the NM side. Burns a few years back intrigued me BUT that hunt disappeared this year. Most here will probably suggest holding out for the Kaibab ( i probably will not live long enough for a late rifle) so I ponder. My brother and I spent 5 days scouting up there starting the day the last season ended last year, we were very under impressed seeing only 1 big buck!!!

Any suggestions??

Unless you just get lucky on a random late hunt your right probably never catch it.
I’ll send you a pm

Have you looked at 3A/3C? Seems like that unit takes a bucket of points, and several big bucks come out of there every year. I didn't realize it was a hard to draw unit until I heard a friend complain he couldn't draw there with 9 resident points.

Point creep has gone from 10 points to 16 points for non residents in just the last two years. 3a-3c is where people are going when they have lost hope on the strip tag. 3 does not have the quality of deer you find north of the ditch. If you are happy with a 170 buck and a outside chance at a 190 buck then 3 might be for you.

I didn’t think 27 had the late rifle tag this year? I’d be looking hard at unit 8 with those dates. Will you find a 230 buck, no, but you will see plenty of bucks and reasonably find a 170-190 inch buck in the rut.

I wouldn't be surprised if that 3C December tag is just as or nearly as hard to draw as the Kaibab late tag. It's going to take a bunch of points for that. That hunt has never happened before, so you never know what it will take. Have you looked at some of the other 12 units? The 40's muzzy tag would be fun as well. Whats it taking for a Non res 12aw late tag these days for points? In the past I wouldn't burn that many points on the early Kaibab hunt but if we get some moisture it could be really good with the fire from last year and the tag reductions.

Last edited:
Yes sir, I saw that new hunt but only 1 nr tag so that plugs me into the random draw. Thanks for your input . Think I'm in a bad way in AZ.
I wouldn't be surprised if that 3C December tag is just as or nearly as hard to draw as the Kaibab late tag. It's going to take a bunch of points for that. That hunt has never happened before, so you never know what it will take. Have you looked at some of the other 12 units? The 40's muzzy tag would be fun as well. Whats it taking for a Non res 12aw late tag these days for points? In the past I wouldn't burn that many points on the early Kaibab hunt but if we get some moisture it could be really good with the fire from last year and the tag reductions.

Thanks Coues, took 23 last year with at least 70 folks ahead or tie with me at 20..... doesn't look very likely in my health hunting future. I'll explore the 40`s. Appreciate the reply.

I have lived and hunted in rural 42 my entire life and have had the muzzy hunt several times. Many refer to it as a rut hunt but it is a pre rut hunt. There are pockets of rutting but overall the bucks are not where they were and are up and moving. You can get your ass handed to you in a big hurry. I have killed some great bucks during the muzzy hunt but I would be hesitant about burning that many points.

There is now a 23 December mule deer hunt this year. Some big bucks in 23 and some very remote areas like 27. 3c expect to kill a 170-180 buck with 1 or 2 190-200 bucks every year. I'm talking real 200 inch bucks not the "200" inch bucks all the outfitters claim they kill. Personal opinion, sit this year out and buy a point because it's drier than a popcorn fart out there.

Your chances of killing a buck over 190 south of the grand canyon are about as good as your chances of drawing a tag north of the grand canyon with 20 NR points. If they were my points, I'd keep trying to draw up there.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom