Well, that was quick!

philthy

Hey guys,
I got my ram around 9:30 opening morning. We saw at least 50 rams this weekend, but almost all were 3 to 5 years old. We watched this old dude climb out of the gorge and cross a half mile of sagebrush flat. By the time we worked over to where he was, he had jumped a fence in some rolling country, so it was pretty easy to stalk within 108 yards for the shot.

I'm taking him to Santa Fe tomorrow to get plugged and a better idea of what he'll score. If I'm counting rings right, he's 10+ years old. It was great to be able to harvest both species of bighorn in New Mexico, but I can't believe I'm retired now lol!

20200810_110558.jpg

20200810_110844.jpg

That is awesome! Looks like an old ram- congrats! Am I safe to assume a rifle hunt? What caliber rifle?

I would have loved to take him with a bow, but my shoulders went to hell in a handbasket several years ago. I used a hells canyon speed in 6.5cm

I would have loved to take him with a bow, but my shoulders went to hell in a handbasket several years ago. I used a hells canyon speed in 6.5cm
Fine work Philthy! In some ways it's a little sad the hunt didn't last longer to add to the adventure, but pretty hard to pass up a nice ram like that. My last ram was taken with a 6.5 CM as well.
Congratulations

Just shows how much I know about sheep & sheep huntin! I would be the guy up at 12000 ft, gasping for air and clutching my chest hoping the pain will pass, , , and wondering where all the sheep are!
That is of course, if I ever draw a tag (38 years and counting)!
Congrats on a fine ram.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom