Went scouting

TFAvalanche

Just got back from getting familiar with 9, on the way home looks like the Gila was getting some good rainfall

B0212B8A-80D9-4FAE-84BB-F89C79B01174.jpeg

4832CC7B-5B88-4D7F-B5AB-EAE3148A11FC.jpeg

Couple herds of cows, young bulls, and a LOT of beautiful scenery! After the hunts over I’ll post up a full work-up like I did for my 16E experience and the cam footage I got last week and this week. Due to the scarcity of viable water sources, notable terrain features, and finding one with fish in it that is very promising, I’m going to withhold those pics until the hunt.

I can tell you from my turkey hunt on the Marquez WMA this year that there are some nice bulls still on that mountain. But whether you can catch one in some shoot-able territory is the challenge...

I can tell you from my turkey hunt on the Marquez WMA this year that there are some nice bulls still on that mountain. But whether you can catch one in some shoot-able territory is the challenge...

Absolutely. Between the Crawford, Lobo, Floyd something, and the Laguna land it’s definitely a challenge. I came down from the northern portion of the unit through San Luis into the Chamisa and ran out of time before getting deeper into the unit which would be the northern boundary of the Marquez but I will be back in a week or two to collect some cams and get into the area. I don’t believe the Marquez is a hunt-able area for my tag, as it specifies Water Canyon WMA, but still want to at least check it out. I will say there was a small fire on the East facing slopes of Taylor and one of my cams got a pic of my old Medevac unit dropping a water bucket into the tank. Gave ol 1Sgt a call and asked him to find another one!

You have to go through the Rez to get to water canyon so make sure you get permission or a small game tag. Laguna doesn’t play around.

You don’t actually go through any Rez to get to water canyon. You travel through the Cubero land grant and as long as you have any valid tag you can go hunt that WMA.

You don’t actually go through any Rez to get to water canyon. You travel through the Cubero land grant and as long as you have any valid tag you can go hunt that WMA.
Unless you know another way than I do you take a Rez road to get to the road to climb the hill, has an arrowhead with a number on it which is how I know it’s a Rez Road. Maybe I’m wrong that’s what I recall. Id double check either way it’s not my hunt just worth verifying imo.

Unless you know another way than I do you take a Rez road to get to the road to climb the hill, has an arrowhead with a number on it which is how I know it’s a Rez Road. Maybe I’m wrong that’s what I recall. Id double check either way it’s not my hunt just worth verifying imo.

It’s just water canyon rd all the way from Cubero to the WMA. It never crosses into Rez unless you turn off one of the side roads and you don’t really climb any hills either. Not sure if there’s a back way into it I’ve never taken or you’re thinking of Marquez.

C21A6146-8BD3-4A99-BB1C-47F9E2AC1FAD.png

Thanks for the info boys... I sent in a land access application to the Laguna admin offices to ask for permission in case I have to track a bull down into the land. I do not want to end up in tribal custody especially with how devastated they are with Covid right now. I have not heard back and don't plan to, but figured the best thing to do was ask beforehand.

I believe there is a number you can call for the access pass. I could be mistaken but, I think if you search on here there was an old thread posted as well that had the direct contact information of the person for road permit access . Might have to dig around but I think i remember seeing one in my searchers.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom