We're on the elk problem....

Bluehair

Long Time Member
...but the collars keep falling off. Seriously.
The decline has been attributed to high calf mortality: About half the elk calves born in Southwest Colorado die within six months, and an additional 15% die before they reach a year old.

In the absence of one clear cause such as disease – which was ruled out – wildlife officials don’t know what’s driving the deaths.

Weinmeister said CPW is trying to determine why calves have died at high rates in study areas around Montrose and Trinidad. But research has been slow because expandable radio collars put on the calves keep falling off.

.CPW Article

...but the collars keep falling off. Seriously.

.CPW Article

the expandable collars are a little tricky, but they are not preventing data. The CPW knows pretty well that 2 things are driving the mortality. Excessive human presence in the land year round, and predators. They however are no willing to come out and say it until they have the very best research.

hell look at the way supposed sportsmen are still whining and complaining about shed seasons. Even thought common sense says limiting shed hunting until after the worst parts of winter is good for elk and deer people still complain about it.

unless they have solid science to come out and say human recreation and predators are the causes they are just going to keep their heads down. Don’t blame them as the liberal will flip their shot and sue the crap out of them if they say it is predators and try increasing opportunities.

I agree with everything you said. And I would have been canned or transferred to Siberia if I had said that to the press in my former life. I guess you are right, the truth hurts but at least its the truth.

The articles I've read seem to focus 100% on recreational activities being the largest contributor to the problem. My personal observations of seeing more bear sign every year leads me to think that's a bigger part of the problem. I did see that they will lower the Resident bear tag by $10 this year so that might help some but not sure how much.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom