West desert tintic

Jstein1226

Hello all,
After 4 attempts I finally drew my first tag. I have drawn for west desert tintic area. I have lived in vernon and eagle mountain but still dont know where to go for my first hunt. Any help would be welcomed.

Thank you.

Kick around over on Dry Lake. They did a mechanical shredding project over there on the foothills that really changed the looks of the country. More Forest Service stupidity in the name of sage grouse habitat restoration. But in the long term it will help the deer too with improved feed and water. If you'll get away from the 4 wheeler trails and roads you'll turn up a buck. Good luck
PM me if you'd like

I wouldn’t get your hopes up to even see a legal buck on the unit. I have hunted it for the past 15 years, and never seen it look as rough as it did last year.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up to even see a legal buck on the unit. I have hunted it for the past 15 years, and never seen it look as rough as it did last year.
looking on utah's success list it had over a 30% success rate (better than previous years). I'm curious as to why it is the way you say it is.

You want some insight? Don’t have very high expectations. Any deer killed in that unit are earned, especially with a bow.
Any tips on what the deer may be doing early in the season or as to how access is? OnX looks like most places are fairly accessible. A lot of people to deal with? I'm fairly confident in my bow skills

looking on utah's success list it had over a 30% success rate (better than previous years). I'm curious as to why it is the way you say it is.
Those numbers are easily skewed... if more people “report” their success then obviously numbers will go up. I purposely do not report for that reason. I hunted several different areas of the unit on all three hunts, and saw significantly less deer than in the past. I also find it comical the DNR did not have a herd report for the unit this year...

Be careful and watch out for old mine shafts. There are a lot of cattle ranging on the unit too. Go find some places that most people wouldn’t want to attempt to hike into and find water. A few cameras will help too.

Be careful and watch out for old mine shafts. There are a lot of cattle ranging on the unit too. Go find some places that most people wouldn’t want to attempt to hike into and find water. A few cameras will help too.
Thank you and will do about the hiking. unfortunately this was my second choice unit so I don't know the area like I do on my first choice unit and i wont be able to scout due to work but I don't mind putting miles on the boots and I have a good ten days or so of hunting.

Thank you and will do about the hiking. unfortunately this was my second choice unit so I don't know the area like I do on my first choice unit and i wont be able to scout due to work but I don't mind putting miles on the boots and I have a good ten days or so of hunting.
10 days of hunting that isn't bad. Use 2 of them for scouting and 8 for hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom