West Murderer's Creek Elk

brdhuntr

I'm considering putting in for this unit in 09,and was wandering what the country is like as far as accessibilty,ie do you need horses,or are there ample 4-wheeler trails to get you're animal out? I'm in my 60's,but in pretty good shape,and i can back pack one out with the help of my son-in-law.Is the hunting still pretty good,i'm a meat hunter so i don't really need to kill a monster. Thanks for any help

That's my deer area and pretty close to home. the lions have destroyed, and I mean destroyed the deer herds. the feral horses haven't helped the deer or elk any either.

That said it's not a bad elk hunt, not as great as it used to be but better than average. you are thinking about the hair tag? I prefer 1st season myself but second will give you a cow if it comes to that. lots of public land and good access though there are road closure areas as well. easy areas and steep as a cows face areas, open country and heavy cover, very diverse country. I see 300 class bulls almost every time I hunt it, a few big bulls are taken now and then but I wouldn't expect anything larger than that. nice country with decent elk populations and limited hunters, you could do much worse.

i was drawn two seasons ago, only place i found elk was in deer country, the steep stuff, i forget all the names of the canyons i hunted i think it was called chicken or somthing, it was the Nov. hunt, saw two decent bulls....

I was told it only takes 3 points to draw, lots of road closure so be prepared to walk or get horse's......

good luck on drawing....Manny

Chickenhouse, the top end has elk but the lower end isn't much unless you have a lot of snow. if you're not into rough country stay to the southern half of the unit and it's pretty easy going and access is good.

Last time I looked for a res it was about 3 points for 1st, 5 for second season. pretty much what other similar hunts take.

yah that was it, it was really warm that year wounded a bull found blood then it rained like hell and i lost all sign after three days of looking i lost 'em....sucked big time...

Back
Top Bottom