Western co fires

Just watched the press conference of the Cameron Peak fire. They are deeming this a "full suppresion" fire, but the fire breaks have been established several miles from the fire and it appears that they are not putting firefighters anywhere near the fire. The Incident commander did a nice job of dancing around a question regarding if they are planning on letting this fire go for awhile to get rid of some of the beetle kill. I guess they are also trying to keep equipment out of the wilderness area to protect it. Going to be a nice charred wilderness area. I understand the safety element but why not tell people what the actual plan is. The Grizzly fire is in steep rugged terrain just like the Cameron fire but they went in aggressively to contain it. Sorry, had to rant a little

I've watched em all frontrange, I've also spent a lot of time in there the past couple years, including the day it started. Not many of the seeps had water in em, it was dry dry. There is no juniper/oak brush stands. It's all mature, dead timber at a higher elevation than grizzly creek. This pic shows the beetle kill, it's over 80% and been that way for several years. It hasn't done what I thought it would do but dry hot and windy conditions after tomorrow may change that.

20190923_131711.jpg

They can't take equipment into a wilderness area.

They commented yesterday they are requesting permission to get what they can in the wilderness. Leaving me with the impression there are extenuating circumstances that it's allowed. There's very little area the timber goes up and over into the park where a couple helos couldn't end it on top. That's where they'll make their stand to the south. Their lines to the north are miles from the fire. October snows will end it before they reach those lines. To the east they've done work around government buildings (csu campus) and private property that will enable the fire to burn till those same snows come to put and end to it. I don't look for them to go directly on the fire until mother nature has it in its death throws. And knowing that country, I dont blame em.

I bet the Unser boys will be pissed if they drop a dozer in the wilderness.

Here they let the park (Mesa Verde) burn. Now the trees are gone and they noticed all the wild horses. Lol

FUNNIEST THING IVE READ IN A LONG TIME!!!! I can only imagine your “republican “ ranch. So stuffed animals count? I can picture you and your strawberry shortcake pony!!! Done arguing with an idiot bureaucrat who has no idea what the hell its talking about. Have a fine night Chuck. You’re a wonderful comedian. For what it’s worth I don’t run a single cow on BLM or FS land. Know plenty of fine people who do. And I’ll keep calling them friends long after your kind has moved to the city so the government can care for your stupid asses.
Your friends are the ones getting the handouts Jerry not me. Have fun on the “working ranch” of yours you Ol’ Democrat. And tell the Mormons I said what’s up!

Cameron peak chewed up 10k acres yesterday, currently over 34k total. Calling for 6-12" of snow Tuesday. If we get close to a foot,that may put an end to it, or put it in a condition that they can deal with.

Got a new fire on Douglas Pass. Nothing serious but being monitored closely. With what's supposed to happen with the weather next week they are gonna back out and let them burn as long as no structures are in danger. In a few years we will reap the rewards of these fires. Before the blazes started this year I spoke with our district biologist's and they were commenting how the region needs significant habitat improvements. We'll buddy ya got your wish. Now if we can get BLM and our state DWR to pull their heads outta their buttz so we can get some of these damaged water holes and dams renovated we'd be making some real progress.

Here's our winter storm warning. Some archers gunna get their tents collapsed.:)

Pretty much the whole state is covered by some kind of watch or warning - either winter storm or red flag.
IMG_0529.PNG

Don't worry fellas, the Cameron peak fire just said "hold my beer!" With the amount of beetle kill in this area, she's record bound! Here it is at 3 in the afternoon yesterday. It's hot and breezy currently and it's blowing up. We were told to evacuate last night and we were 7 or 8 miles away.

View attachment 11430

High temps and no significant rain in the forecast the rest of the month, will make getting a handle on this one, near impossible. Over 2,000 acres as of 8am today.

111k as of last night, 60mph gusts today. Pine gulch stands at 139k, the states largest in history. I think that record will be broken by Monday mornin. Hell it may be broken already.

Screenshot_20200926-150907_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Are they doing much with that fire yet DW? Heard they were pretty much letting it burn.

They've had up to 1,200 personel and a half dozen aircraft on it for over a month.. They had fire lines and only a couple active spots the past couple weeks that they were dozing around and hitting from the air. Yesterday it hopped the Poudre in a different spot and made a run, last night it jumped their main fire line, the Manhattan road, and now its barrelin toward some subdivisions. Gonna turn some people's worlds upside down. To make matters worse, the mullen fire just north of the border is heading towards this fire as well.

Last edited:
Don't worry fellas, the Cameron peak fire just said "hold my beer!" With the amount of beetle kill in this area, she's record bound! Here it is at 3 in the afternoon yesterday. It's hot and breezy currently and it's blowing up. We were told to evacuate last night and we were 7 or 8 miles away.

View attachment 11430

High temps and no significant rain in the forecast the rest of the month, will make getting a handle on this one, near impossible. Over 2,000 acres as of 8am today.

Cameron peak fire, 158,300 acres. Like I said, hold my beer.

i believe my friend's cabin west of the CR 27, north and west of masonville got toasted yesterday. i had many great memories there including helping him cut firewood, turkey hunting, and some deer hunting. Got a nice wide 3x3 there. no pics, sorry.
Hope everyone got out of there safely.
RIP

Anyone gone in behind it? Wondering if it's scorched or will come back quick.

Sad as it is, prolly the only way to get rid of the thick beetle kill. If you haven't been in that stuff you don't realize what a mess it is.

Was in there today. Some of it is scorched, some of it didn't burn the downed timber but killed the standing timber. Those areas will be worse than before.. Still plenty of active fire inside the perimeter. It's gonna burn till we get a season ending snow.

Last edited:
It appears the east troublesome fire wishes to not be outdone, as it chewed up 100k acres last night.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom