Western cold weather camo.

hiefnac

Looking for opinions on best cold weather camo. I know this is a big topic but looking to upgrade my clothing. Will be hunting western Nebraska in November and look to hunt Colorado or Wyoming next year. Thanks.

I'm also hunting Western Nebraska this year for a Mule deer. I went with Cabela's outfitter. I also have some mossy oak brush that seems to work pretty well with past experiences. Best of luck come November!

Deerkiller pretty much nailed it, Layers are the way to go depending upon the weather and how active you are. I have Kuiu, Sitka, and even a few Cabelas brand layers.

In regard to camo patterns. I usually lay out what I have and wear the ones that blend in best. I always wear different camo pattern on top vs bottoms to break up the human profile. I'm colorblind and the human (similar to most big game) and the thing that stands out most to me is the human profile! I would also recommend a set of snow camo if it snows. It's always nice to have a set of breathable raingear if it's wet or snowy.

I'm also hunting Western Nebraska this year for a Mule deer. I went with Cabela's outfitter. I also have some mossy oak brush that seems to work pretty well with past experiences. Best of luck come November!
Same to you will be my first trip for mule deer lol.

Dressing in a camo system designed for layering is probably your best bet. That way you can add or remove layers as your activity levels change or as the weather changes. I like kuiu the best. I have Sitka as well, but kuiu seems to have better quality, fit and design
I've been looking at those 2 brands its hard to decide lol

Deerkiller pretty much nailed it, Layers are the way to go depending upon the weather and how active you are. I have Kuiu, Sitka, and even a few Cabelas brand layers.

In regard to camo patterns. I usually lay out what I have and wear the ones that blend in best. I always wear different camo pattern on top vs bottoms to break up the human profile. I'm colorblind and the human (similar to most big game) and the thing that stands out most to me is the human profile! I would also recommend a set of snow camo if it snows. It's always nice to have a set of breathable raingear if it's wet or snowy.
Thanks for the advice

I have a bunch of Sitka pants and have been slowly but surely converting to Kuiu just from the fact that they fit me a little better. For shirts I've had really great luck with the heavier Cabelas micro fleece collared shirts with pockets. They wear like iron, dry pretty fast, and are pretty warm. When I bought them they were pretty cheap priced. Another layer I wear on top is some sort of windstopper vest. I like the quiet cloth material because I often wear it as an outer and it's a lot quieter in brush. It's likely a toss up between Sitka and Kuiu for raingear. I make sure my rainjackets have pitzips so there is good air flow. Another great layer for cold weather that sometimes gets overlooked is a neck gator.

You can waste a lot of money on Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite etc. Get you a good merino wool base layer to start. From there look for wool and down outer layers that aren't necessarily what the cool kids wear. Wool and down have worked for millions of years for the animals. Dont get suckered in to buying a logo that isn't anything more than a fad. Take the money you save and invest in another tag or optics.

Yep, merino wool under layers and a good puffy for insulation.
You want material for outer layer that blocks the wind.
Pattern doesn't matter much but stay away form something really dark.
Kings camo and the sage brush pattern from Realtree, max-1 or max-1xt work really well out this way.

KUIU. I've tried on Sitka pieces, but prefer the KUIU fit much better. Pants are true to size, shirts, jackets, and vests I order a size bigger than I would need otherwise. 3XL jackets when I'd ordinarily where 2X, so on and so forth.

Wool works best period I hunted in Saskatchewan a few years ago and it was 20-40 below most days. I invested in Good wools from Cabelas. Everyone was saying how cold it was but honestly in my wools if I got cold I only had to walk about 50 yards and I was warm again for hours.
I broke them out on a Nevada late hunt and they worked better than my KUIU. And I am a big fan of KUIU. I have them in camo and when the wind was blowing I was warm........

I think pattern matters much less than the shades of color. Anything brown, gray, light green will blend well. Dark colors, and even detailed camo patterns with dark base colors will make your silhouette stand out against the open terrain at any kind of distance. If it's for cold weather, you'll probably have to wear a bright orange vest and hat over it anyway, so what the material is made of and it's ability to deal with wind, sweat and rain is more important in many cases than the camo pattern.

Kuiu is nice for early to mid hunts but those late-season hunts it is not as warm as a lot of other gear. Those late-season hunts I usually have some heavy-duty Cabela's thick coats and pants

The best camo PATTERN is the one on sale. I spend good money on the fabric I like but pay nothing extra for the latest camo style. Stay warm and dry and your hunt will be SO much better. Camos job is to break up your outline. Pretty much any of them do that.

The pattern I have most is outfitters camo.

Although wool is great it can be bulky and somewhat heavy. If you aren't hiking and active wool likely works fine. My preference is layers that I can strip and adjust different layers to the temperature and how active I am. With 1 heavy layer you are pretty well screwed.

In regard to camo patterns. My guess is that 85% of hunters make the mistake of wearing the same top and bottom camo pattern/color. I'm colorblind and the human profile stands out when I see hunters wearing the same camo pattern and colors. If you want to break up the human profile it's pretty important to wear different camo patters/colors on top vs bottoms. I also toss in white camo for snow. Nothing stands out more than a hunter's profile with dark camo against snow!

Kings XKG Layering system is a good alternative as well. They have merino wool base layers. The preacher pant flexes with your movements. My wife has a full layering system in Kings XKG. I have the Kuiu in the Verde for my layering. As previously stated Merino is very versitile. I archery hunt in Utah in 90+ in August and wear a Merino long sleeve. It breathes and does not hold human odor.

i like smartwool base layers and whatever is warm on top of that. not that into camo logos/brands. i wear green columbia pants usually

Whatever is warm works for me.

Seriously, I don't get caught up in the camo hype. No matter what you wear and you move, deer will see you. Don't move and you can wear a clown suit and the deer won't know what you are but won't spook.

I started hunting in the 50's and we wore red and black plaid wool. I'm a still hunter and sneak in close. Not having camo never held me back. I still wear those old wool shirts. Move when they're not looking. Freeze when they are looking. That still works no matter what I wear.

Camo was invented to fool humans.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom