Western Wyoming Moose

Jdan9

I’m planning on burning my NR moose points this year on a western Wyoming tag, I should have more than enough to draw just about any tag in the state. I’ve been reading it’s been an extremely tough winter. Is a winter like this as tough on moose as it is on antelope, deer and elk? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
JD

I’m planning on burning my NR moose points this year on a western Wyoming tag, I should have more than enough to draw just about any tag in the state. I’ve been reading it’s been an extremely tough winter. Is a winter like this as tough on moose as it is on antelope, deer and elk? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
JD
Yes moose are affected by the bad winters too. You just don’t hear about it because they don’t get in big herds and hang out near roads.

With that said hunt when you can get a tag. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed…

I've done a couple of photo/scouting threads for 26 and 23 if ya have any interest in those 2 units.

Robb

As SS says go hunt, we all know population’s probably will never boom again, and there will be moose there to hunt so with the direction hunting is going as far as animal and hunter populations, drawing odds and systems changing I would think everyone would want to be hunting as soon as it’s possible, so get that app in and go have a good hunt and then the next guy up will maybe draw next year and get the same opportunity while it’s here!! Good luck in the draws!!

There is some very real chance Wyoming changes the Pref Pt system/allocations in the near future- so clearly if you are "likely" to draw, that may influence you going sooner rather than later.

I know the most about 24 and 26 but it's been years so I'm sure things have changes and not for the better.

All the guys who are in the know say that moose numbers are down in about every hunt area. Been trending like this for years.

Now you're at 90/10 R/NR tag allocation and the all the talk of bonus v preference points, you should pick and area and go have a great hunt if you can draw.

Have fun! Moose are a blast to hunt.
Zeke

We were in unit 24 (elk hunting) and did see more moose last year than the last decade or so. No bulls bigger than 2 year olds, but we saw at least a dozen moose during our 10 days afield. Two right in our camp!

Like Zeke said ☝️. Apply and draw and go hunting and make memories. With all the changes and talk of more changes with moose points that is what I did last year. Glad to have used my points and made some awesome memories in Wyoming.

Use your points while their still worth something and you still have some control on when you can hunt.

To many people dropped out of the moose point game that were not in the very top point pool, costing Wyoming $$$. The bonus point will happen to try to get people to apply again with a very small chance of drawing without top end points. As it is now someone without top end points will never draw.

A new system will hurt those that applied for years, but will give others a small chance of drawing. Changing the rules in the middle of the game sucks for those with high point. Hopefully some will see the writing on the wall and use their points and enjoy a great hunt before the change.

Love Wyoming and hunting Wyoming. I thank Wyoming and numerous residents for all my hunting trips and memories to their great state. My moose hunt was top notch and probably my only moose hunt in my lifetime.

If you can draw, do it and don't look back.

Now that I’ve got the tag and have a general idea where we will be starting. I’ll have about 8-10 days to hunt. From others experience, when can we estimate the peak of the rut?

Unless something has changed in the last few years the rifle opens on Oct 1st. You should be able to hunt September with a bow. I shot my personal moose in that unit with a bow in late September. Unbelievable experience to say the least. Good luck

You will have a blast - enjoy. I had my Wyoming moose tag last year. Me and my wife spent 7-8 weekends on the hunt. We would go up every weekend for 3-4 days. We went the month of September mainly to scout, but did purchase the archery tag and had a crossbow in camp incase we run into a no Brainerd bull. Very valuable time spent checking out and learning the unit with very little pressure. We seen close to 3 dozen moose and about a dozen were bulls. Never went a trip without seeing moose.

Tagged my bull just before the heavy snow storms and while the wife was still with. Awesome hunts and memories made on that hunt. Put mine to bed after numerous photos and video. Know he was a good bull but did not want to have to find and break down a bull in the dark in a willow river bottom. After looking at the photos and video I told my wife if he is there in the morning I was going for him. The next morning he was still there and I finished my hunt.

If I start my hunt on 10/8 instead of 10/1 do I run the risk on missing the best part of the rut/hunt?

From my ancient experience, many of the bigger, easier to get to bulls will hit the dust the first week of the hunt. I actually went a few days early on my hunt to try to locate some bigger bulls to go after and I am glad I did. If you are looking for a special bull, I wouldn't put it off.
If you just want "a bull" waiting is probably alright.
That's my "outdated" take.

Three best times to kill a big bull...1st...early season usually opening archery but rifle in Idaho where big bulls can be patterned pretty easily if you got the time. 2nd...rut...bulls cover a ton of ground and anything is possible. 3rd...end of season where bulls start moving to migration areas and love burnt areas. I've taken 2 boone and crockett shiras during #1 and #3 with biggest one during #1. Best advice pick an area that let's you hunt all 3 times and take all the vacation you can.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom