WGFD's financial status

wybighorn

I was at a meeting last night where three members of the WGFD presented options to fund the department.

I would highly suggest that ANYONE who has an interest in Wyoming Wildlife (resident, non-resident, hunter, angler, bird watcher, etc.) tune in to the public meeting tonight at 7pm. You can watch online via the internet or at any regional offices.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/home.aspx

Also be sure to post any and all comments to the WGFD! I think that they will accept comments up to Oct. 24 (I'm not totally sure on the final date).

http://gf.state.wy.us/WGFD_WebSurvey/CommentOnly.aspx

Personally, I was disheartened by what I heard. I understand their predicament and actually agreed with some of what they said but I think it is important that everyone voice their opinion (whether you agree or disagree). I came away from that meeting feeling like we are headed toward managing money instead of wildlife.

Anyway, I know lots of people have a lot to say so please make sure that the G&F hears it. Again whether you agree or disagree... please make sure your voice is heard.

So where are we supposed to comment? I have tried the link above and then clicked on everything multiple times. All it does is loop back around the first page and no place can I enter a comment.

Good thing they are putting all this money in justifying a price increase instead of managing wildlife with it.

It's not Wybighorn's fault. WGFD asked for comments a while back. These sites were working as I know several that were able to comment. However, at the point I had time to comment, and that was some time ago, all I could get was the video. No place would open up to make comments. I figured it was just a momentary glitch, but apparently they got all the comments they wanted and haven't bothered to fix the problem.

I was not upset with the OP but I have tried several times to post comments, but fall into the same loop. I know it is not his, but was hoping someone here could say click here....

PS I am trying to watch the broadcast now and getting video but not sound.

WGFD is in a tuff situation it looks like. They need more money to continue to keep wildlife on the same level it is on right now or increase hunting and fishing in Wyoming. We all know that it takes money to run the department and keep the tings going. Without it hunting and fishing goes down the tube. It is also important to know that they have to be careful that with the proposals they do not run people off from being involved in hunting and fishing. From what I have read on MM, Montana raised up their non resident fees and have been stuck with tags they can not sell. A fine line to be walked.
I would incourage sportsmen to try to figure a way that they can help WGFD with money and have it go as easy as possible on all. A tuff situation.

They have to be careful, look at what happened to Idaho and MT, if you raise nr prices too much too quick they will end up with even less money than they have now. WY sells a lot of tags to NR hunters, they have to be careful. The economy is still soft and lots of guys (myself included) will bail if they raise antleope to $370, deer to $500+ and elk to $700+. Sure some guys will stick with it, but again look at how many NR deer tags ID has leftover on Oct 12 there are 9,673 unsold (http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/licenses/?getPage=75). Just a few years ago before their last round of price increases they would sell out before the Oct. 10th opener.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

Wildlife agencies (and every other government agency) all claim to be short funded, but what they really have is a priority problem. If you look at wildlife agencies, they spend a significant amount of money on research. Now research is "sacred" of course, but the reality is a lot of it is garbage- very expensive garbage.
If you look at the history of wildlife management, wildlife agencies have always had lean budgets, but they used to make up for it with some common sense.
In the real world when you have budget short falls, you cut the fluff. In the government world, it is just a lot easier to raise revenue through taxation.
The reality is hunting itself is the fluff for most wildlife agencies. Most are much more concerned about pushing a misguided- although very powerful environmental agenda.
The future of wildlife agencies is conservation/preservation- not hunting, and if you think they are one and the same you are very naive.

I went through it a couple weeks ago. After watching the video clip and reading the info I was quite put out about what they were blaming all the problems on. There was no mention at all about wolves!!! They were saying costs were going up. Maybe so but not even close to the amount of revenue going down. What is Wyoming's elk heard at today vs 15 years ago. Not to mention all the other species that produce revenue.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom