What’s everyone’s back up plan?

Trad Bow 1979

If I don’t draw my tags I am going to try to put together the best bear, turkey and grouse hunts as possible this fall. Other than that I am just continuing to buy points in other states.

I should draw a WY Elk tag. If I draw NM I'll probably withdraw that hunt unless I draw one of the January deer tags or something that's not a September/October hunt.

I should draw a WY Elk tag. If I draw NM I'll probably withdraw that hunt unless I draw one of the January deer tags or something that's not a September/October hunt.

That's my plan as well. Withdraw Wyoming if I draw NM. Hunt Idaho OTC here regardless.

I will likely draw a WY elk tag.
Then depending on how the NM draws go that will direct if I do WY antelope.
On top of that I also have Kansas and Iowa draws, plus my typical Oklahoma OTC hunts as well as Florida and Kentucky.

I will likely draw a WY elk tag.
Then depending on how the NM draws go that will direct if I do WY antelope.
On top of that I also have Kansas and Iowa draws, plus my typical Oklahoma OTC hunts as well as Florida and Kentucky.
Dang icy! N I thought I had hunting issues ???

If things open back up before the end of July, I might go do the tahr part of my recently cancelled New Zealand hunt, but still save the red stag and fallow for next March or April. I might also hire an outfitter to chase lions in northern NM, and maybe also do an Alaskan fishing trip (have an Alaskan Airlines voucher I need to use before November). And of course, I'll continue my never-ending quest for a 30" barbary. Still lots of good options living in NM.

Another idea--Nebraska is the only state that I've never been to--may have to book a whitetail hunt there.

My son and I should draw Wyoming deer in Region G this year and also I should be guaranteed a CO 2nd season deer hunt. So have two for sure hunts aligned already. We still have UT applications in for all species and he also has a third season deer tag application in for CO. Waiting for the results of NM before we submit NV and SD applications as well as the remining MT, AZ, WY and ID applications. Lots and lots of options yet.

Only for sure plan is to hunt NM with my youth sons. Depending on draws I'll likely try to get my kids in AZ for coues deer. I'll likely start building points for coues in AZ as well.
Been buying Wyoming Pronghorn points for my sons and I last few yrs, but going to let them add up a few more years before we go to Wyoming.
NM usually treats us good in getting a few green tickets every yr.

Rio
Where do you fish? I’ve been a fly fisherman my entire life and have owned many rods, mostly sage. After fishing extensively 6’-10’ rods from 1-10 weight I almost never use anything in N.M. but my sage 3 weight 7’6”. Just upgraded this year to the new Dart. It will cast any dry or dropper to the far side of 90% of our running waters in the state and can handle small streamers easily. It puts a fight into even the smallest trout. I’ve spent time behind a 6’ 1 weight on tiny water and found it didn’t let me reach or shoot into tight pockets any better. Actually, I find the shorter rods more difficult, even on tiny water with thick vegetation. Unless you are streamer fishing primarily or fighting wind on lakes or streams big enough to backcast routinely. I would strongly consider a 3 weight. My wife uses a sage 4 weight 8’3” on most waters. My sage 5 weight is mainly used as a loaner for friends that are learning and need help pushing the fly.

Keep in mind fly rod weight should be chosen based on fly and wind, not fish. I’ve been on big mean fish on a 5 weight, including sharks, jacks, tarpon, salmon, steelhead, snook, redfish, etc... A 3 weight has enough backbone for 99% of the fish swimming in N.M.

Back on topic, I’ll fish and bird hunt if I see all red. I will find a way to hunt elk here or in another state no matter the draw results. Last fall I vowed to never miss an elk season from then on.

Best of luck to all and God bless you

If I don’t draw my tags I am going to try to put together the best bear, turkey and grouse hunts as possible this fall. Other than that I am just continuing to buy points in other states.

I've threatened to do the same for a few years, maybe this year. I know of a killer drinker in a unit close to me that occasionally has a big boar show up on it.

Maybe a little more fall fishing this year, we'll have to see. Crappie in Sept/Oct can be just as good as May...

Rio
Where do you fish? I’ve been a fly fisherman my entire life and have owned many rods, mostly sage. After fishing extensively 6’-10’ rods from 1-10 weight I almost never use anything in N.M. but my sage 3 weight 7’6”. Just upgraded this year to the new Dart. It will cast any dry or dropper to the far side of 90% of our running waters in the state and can handle small streamers easily. It puts a fight into even the smallest trout. I’ve spent time behind a 6’ 1 weight on tiny water and found it didn’t let me reach or shoot into tight pockets any better. Actually, I find the shorter rods more difficult, even on tiny water with thick vegetation. Unless you are streamer fishing primarily or fighting wind on lakes or streams big enough to backcast routinely. I would strongly consider a 3 weight. My wife uses a sage 4 weight 8’3” on most waters. My sage 5 weight is mainly used as a loaner for friends that are learning and need help pushing the fly.

Keep in mind fly rod weight should be chosen based on fly and wind, not fish. I’ve been on big mean fish on a 5 weight, including sharks, jacks, tarpon, salmon, steelhead, snook, redfish, etc... A 3 weight has enough backbone for 99% of the fish swimming in N.M.

Back on topic, I’ll fish and bird hunt if I see all red. I will find a way to hunt elk here or in another state no matter the draw results. Last fall I vowed to never miss an elk season from then on.

Best of luck to all and God bless you
I literally fly fish everywhere in NM I travel.... I always carry one with no matter where Im working....even if I can only wet a line for an hour I'll do so...

I meant 9 foot. I have a really nice 4wt and a few years ago at RMEF elk camp I handled an amazing Sage 3# but do not remember which model and at that time didnt spend as much time on the SJR as I do now....So Im still wanting to get an exceptional 5#..
For an exceptional 5 weight I would go with sage (ya I’m partial to sage) but I would go with a higher end. I have read a lot of good things about the igniter. Reel is up to you. For my pulse I have a Taylor T1 Nebula which I absolutely love and on my approach I have a Ross animas which is a rock solid reel.

pics of my pulse and T1

FD1FDDAE-27CA-4124-951B-57A0805094C9.jpeg

3E3A3D6A-E517-449F-B65D-582E00093AA9.jpeg

I've got an AZ elk tag & will probably draw a WY Gen elk tag so I don't need a backup plan this year ?. But one more hunt would be nice.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom