What 10 days in SW Kansas?

twopointdn

If you whitetail guys had ten consecutive days to hunt whitetail in SW Kansas what dates would you pick and why? Is the five days before and the five days after a November full moon really the Holy grail of the whitetail rut? Thought…

I've hunted that area a few times, always the second week of November. Always had a good hunt, with good rut activity.

Thank you for all your comments. Everyone is consistent with their thoughts. I will probably settle in with the 10th through the 19th. We have rifle hunted the area the last few years and we want to try something different. We are hoping to see the rut activity that leads to all the broken antlered bucks we are hunting in December.

Public? WIHA? You'll see rut action with those dates. Although I have seen KS be later than earlier more times than not.

We hunt mostly public and WIHA’s and have some access to private. We have only kill bucks on the public and WIHA’s. The private we have access to is pasture land with very little crop land. There is deer on it but we have not found any big deer on it yet. It is not managed land for hunting at all so nothing like YouTube. There is always plenty of does on it so hopefully hunting it in November will change thing for us. We have done decent for being newbies to the whitetail hunting world. Funny story, the first year we went we took some tree stand and the locals laughed and asked us if we brought a tree to hand it in. It will be interesting to try to hunt them with a bow in the flat land. Most of our success has been doing pushes in the CRP but rifles work for that, bows not so much. My group is heading out in a few days for the rifle hunt and I’m sitting on the sidelines this year due to other commitments. Next year is already in the planning stages for me. It will be interesting to see how my group does this year.

I’m certainly not an expert but have hunted Kansas for the last 15 yrs. I’ve hunted at different times anywhere from September to mid December. I certainly see more bucks during rut mid November. However, I’ve killed my biggest bucks pre rut and very early in the rut. I like the first week of November. It seems to me that they are more responsive to calls and decoys pre rut. As always, it helps deer movement when a cold front moves through

Don't have specific intel for you, but as an eastern WT hunter, I bow hunted SD the last week of October. I was told to hunt from the ground. I thought that was crazy also, but actually worked much better than I thought.

Good luck and post some pics!!

Buck I killed two years ago. I did not fill my tag last year, it was a tough hunt for me. My buddies just arrived in Kansas and will be out hunting in the morning. I’m sitting in Utah and I will be at work tomorrow. Not fun. It will be fun trying out a archery hunt next year during the November rut. If my buddies have a good year with rifles this year it may be hard to convince them to go with a bow next year. Thanks for the tips.

F3708BEA-02DC-4153-BA3F-51329FC39091.png

88D8B766-073E-4FBC-8AA5-FA7FBBCAE4E7.png

41BAD43E-AA8D-4AE5-AA7C-B0DFDBBC0ABB.png

Well my hunting group got back from Kansas yesterday and fill 10/12 tags. No big bucks and a few really broken up bucks like always. Two were clean with no breaks which is a first for our group. I wish I was there this year but I will not be sitting on the sidelines next year. It is sounding like our group is wanting to stick to the rifle hunt so no more dreams of a mid November full on rut hunt in Kansas next year. It will happen at some point. Thank you guys for your feedback.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom