What about wolves?

mtmuley

Long Time Member
I don't know if any of you Montana boys know of the wolf possibly being de-listed, but, if you could hunt them, would you? Are they making an impact on game populations in your area? Killing livestock, perhaps? If you could hunt them, would you be inclined for or against wolves as a managed big game animal? I have a ton more questions, but this will be a start. NeMont, I know there aren't any wolves in your neck of the woods yet, but what are your thoughts? mtmuley

If you're surveying us "furiners" too,I'll say I'd be for hunting them-as long as the tag price wasn't outragious.
Herb

Everything was set for a season, they just got sued on the deal by Sierra Club, Defenders of Wildlife, Wildlife Defense Counsil, and a couple other groups.

i would buy a tag and give it a shot. my hunting goal in life is to kill a good male of every big game animal in montana, my own little 'big sky slam.' im sure if i was lucky enough to get one though i wouldnt hunt them anymore.
i dont think it would be that hard convincing myself to kill one after all of the calfless cow moose ive seen the last few years.

My wildlife biology professor last semester is a wolf expert and we had another wolf biologist from the department of wildlife come in and they both thought that we would see a delisting and a hunting season in the next 2-3 years.

so what's going on now with the possible wolf season for 2008? will that pass? i read about it on the fwp website. what do you all think?

i'll be after one if they open it.

Well, since its a federal deal, all these groups have to do is file thier case anywhere, could be San Fransisco, I am sure they will have a hard time finding a liberal judge there!!!LOL It will be a miracle if we ever actually get to hunt a wolf.

The thing is, I believe the initial quota for hunters is 130. I don't know about anyone else, but all I've seen is sign of wolves so far. How many of the 130 wolf quota do you think will be filled? I bet not all of them. mtmuley

I think that they will be delisted soon, and the nice thing is that once they are out of federal hands the states can manage the wolves themselves, which means all any of the states have to do is manage the numbers to meet the quota set up in the reintroduction, which means greatly reducing the populations. And I know that Ive rubbed alot of people the wrong way with some of the stuff I've said about wolves, but on a very serious note, they are never going to get delisted when there are people saying they are going to pull the old "shoot shovel and shut-up" technique to get rid of them. If wolf advocates think that they are going to become endangered again they will keep filing suits and keep delaying the process.

Nope. Lawsuits to follow now.

I think that since they delisted them the states should be able to go on with the hunt until the court cases are over and the judge says stop. Why is it the other way around, they can just keep filing and filing and hold everything up for years?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom