what are your standards?

Blueoak

Very Active Member
I wil be going hunting this weekend in the A-zone. I have my own ranch to hunt, however I will be hunting public ground. There will be six of us and we will shoot legal forks or better if we find them. We hunt real hard and shoot them as we find them and pack them out. What about you guys, just bucks or trophy. Most of our area is full of forks that will always be forks and my ranch we have some good four-points, but mostly forks. Big ones! I have posted one of them here earlier. Good luck if you are going.

I'll be going to A zone this weekend. I hunt with a friend on his ranch near coalinga. We try for 20" minimum. We pass lots of bucks and have killed a 24" heavy 3x3, severel 20 -23" 4x4's and his dad killed a 28 " 9x11 in the early 70's. The last weekend is almost always the best if we get a little weather and start the rut.

JB

It depends on where I am hunting. If I am hunting an area that holds some good buck I will hold out for one. If I am in an area that hold few deer and not many deer bigger than a fork I will take a fork. You can't hold out for a monster in an area that does not have them.

RWCHUNTER

well during the early archery season here my standards are pretty high since im not really out there looking for deer. itd have to be a giant fork or 3pt+. now during the late season ill take a good fork or better.

I cant put a fixed size on things but I guess I look for a mature buck. Not knocking the guy who shoots a yearling meat buck but I will hold out for an older animal. That might mean a solid 4x4 or a big forked horn depending on the location. I got a giant forked horn last year out of the Yolla Bolly that was aged at 6 years old and I consider him by best deer ever.

"..and please Lord let my bullets fly straight." CC 1996

My hunting standards change each year depending on what I see in this area before season. This year there are a lot of bucks around here. I have seen some very nice 4X4's but they apear to be very young bucks. I saw one spike fork that doesn't look like he has very good genes, so I'll be after him so the 4X4's will possibly have another year to mature as well as pass those great genes along. That is if the road-huntin' poachers don't get 'em.
Ed

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom