What bipod do you use?

sagebb

Best 6”-9” bipod’s out there, carbon or steel? Looking for a new bipod for my rifle but with a million options out there which one would you sugges?

Currently I use a Harris bipod 13”-27” as my main hunting bipod for Western big game. Harris has reputation that has been around for over 30 years. For Harris you are partly paying for the name as well as a product made in the USA. There are many good bipods out there now and I think some of them are better than the Harris.

For coyote calling I mostly use my Hog Saddle on a heavy tripod. But I also occasionally use my Harris or shooting sticks while calling coyotes. I also have a 6”-9” Harris, a Caldwell for AR rail and a cheap $5 “V” that I can quickly snap on my spotting scope tripod. Often I use my pack as a back support for the rifle while shooting prone with my Harris set at 13”. Sometimes I don’t pack a bipod and plan on using my pack as a shooting rest.

I would strongly recommend you look at getting a hunting tripod longer than 6-9”. It won’t be enough length to shoot with in many situations.

My hunting pack is just as steady and a more versatile front rest for me than my 6”-9” Harris. It is easy for me to pack too much gear while hunting. Removing or adding extra stuff can quickly make a pack 10lbs vs 30lbs.

I'm using that Harris as well. I think it's the 13-27....seems about right. It's heavy and noisy.
I have a small carbon fiber bipod (Javelin) that Spartan sent me a few years ago that's sweet, but I think it's just too small for me. I wish it were a larger one. I've never used it.

founder+BrianID how do you like using the 13-27" say, in a prone position shooting across a canyon or something like that? i have and old harris 13-27" but i find myself lifting my body up off the ground trying to get up level with the rifle thats why im curious about the 6-9 would love an atlas but damn thats alot of gas money ?

I've used and have several bipods, including Harris, and they have their place. However, they can be a nuisance at times and can be in the way.

I switched to the Bog Pod because it serves the same purpose and is easily detachable when not in use if you use the sling adapter switcharoo system.

founder+BrianID how do you like using the 13-27" say, in a prone position shooting across a canyon or something like that? i have and old harris 13-27" but i find myself lifting my body up off the ground trying to get up level with the rifle thats why im curious about the 6-9 would love an atlas but damn thats alot of gas money ?
YEP! Same. Laying prone it is just a hair high. I pack it just because I feel that the shots that are more likely for me are typically sitting on hillside shooting across, or down, so I need that height for sitting and shooting. If I need to lay, like last year, I don't use the bipods, just lay it over a rock or pack.

I use my pack as a back support for the rifle while shooting prone with my 13”-27” Harris set at 13” for front rifle support.

I use a Harris Swivel Leg notch 9-13 most of the time. If needed I have a 13-27 also but only for certain terrain. I much prefer the 9-13.

I use a Harris 13-27 as well that comes with the tilt. If you buy one, I personally would get the tilt to level your rifle. The benefit to going to 27 is the downhill or uphill prone or even sitting shots which are quite common. I love to shoot sitting off of it with my pack as a backrest. The main problem are those dead straight across shots where you want a 6-9 inch bipod or 9-13. There is not a perfect system, but if you have a decent sized full day pack, you can use that instead of the bipod for those dead prone shots.

What I see others doing (I think David Long may use something similar) is to have a shorter detached bipod for the prone shots (attach it quickly if needed) and then have an adapter/plate system for your spotting scope tripod for shots that you need to be sitting or standing. I have that in the top of my pack in case I need to stand and shoot (like when antelope hunting....) of my tripod, but keep going back to the 13-27....

Come on guys I thought we already have gone over this. The Hatch bipod is the best. You can go from sitting on your butt to flat on the ground without changing anything on the bipod. Just adjust the legs and pull the front pin to go down to your stomach. It’s rail mounted so carry it on your gun or in your pack. It doesn’t poke you in the back like a Harris bipod does. The Atlas is pretty good but you have to add extensions to get it as high. Who has time to monkey with that while you are hunting.

John,
Never had an issue. I’m usually laying prone if I need a bipod or on an elevated rest. If I can’t find a rest or have time to set up off my bipod I’m probably shooting off hand any way.

John,
Never had an issue. I’m usually laying prone if I need a bipod or on an elevated rest. If I can’t find a rest or have time to set up off my bipod I’m probably shooting off hand any way.
Shooting Prone is what I prefer. You are really solid in a prone position. But sometimes the brush gets in the way and you need to come up a little to get over the brush. Atlas makes a fine tripod. Check out my Hatch when your on the mountain next time. You can see how they differ a little.

Are any of these taller than 27"s? I've got the Harris but sitting in a prairie dog colony hunched over to see thru the scope does a number on my back.

I like the 9-13" Harris. Simple and doesn't get in the way. I'm big on going prone with a pack under the gun whenever possible but the bipod has saved my rear end a couple of times. If you're hunting in flat grassy country, like for antelope, a lot then the taller bipod makes sense. I just think the taller bipod is more cumbersome unless you are in country that needs it.

I guess you really need to handle one to see how they work. I know Ryan Hatch has them in his store Muley Crazy. Not sure who else has them. They where at the Hunt Expo this year. I almost bought the Atlas. Then Ryan showed me all of the features of the Hatch. Oh Ryan has nothing to do with building them. Just another guy with the same last name. I do have a Harris bipod. Back in the old days they weren’t so many options.

I wish Harris made a quick disconnect model. It would be much easier getting it into/out of a scabbard while hunting on horseback.

I just can't justify spending $300.00+ on a bipod.

The 408 Cheytec has its on bipod built on it. ??

7C469CA5-6E1B-4E61-9D44-2A57A9B1CCFD.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom