What bow to buy?

huntingisfun

I am looking for advice from any of you experts on what bow to buy for my 13, almost 14 year old boy who wants to start bow hunting. He is pretty strong and he's about 5 foot 8 inches tall. I'm hoping to find one that can adjust enough to make it until he's at least 18.

Go to an archery shop, not a box store type of deal but an actual archery shop, and shoot everything he can get his hands on. I'm no expert by any means. I had my heart set on a Prime a few years ago, I just loved how they looked. I walked into a shop in Boise and asked to shoot everything RH, 70lbs, 34inches axle to axle or bigger. I shot I believe 6 different bows, Prime, PSE, Hoyt, Mathews, and ended up with a PSE Evo. Just being able to shoot them and feel each draw cycle back to back and how the bow feels was such a help. And those guys are gonna know the adjustability of each bow and what he can grow with a bit. Just my .02 cents.

I would take a hard look at diamond. They have a huge selection for cheaper and self modifying bows, so you can lengthen the draw at home and so on, without a press. I started with a diamond infinity edge at about 15 and had it till I was probably 18, at which point I got a full sized bow

Elite Basin

Or like MS said the Diamond Edge is tough to beat. Check out Archerytalk classifieds, some good deals over there.

A quality used Mathews (starting with the Outback or any of their newer models is a safe buy usually). Should last a long time still and will get them going with a premium bow at a discount price.

Just make sure you get the right draw length and draw weight, have it tuned to spec at your shop, and he’ll be shooting lights out in no time.

I bought my 14 year old son a Bear Legit this spring for his birthday. He's been shooting it for a few months now and just recently asked me to turn up the poundage on it. So far it seems like a good bow.

Bought my 13 year old son an Elite Basin. Awesome bow and highly recommend it. Tons of draw length and poundage adjustment. Will fit him for along time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom