What bulley for Oryx??

EVILNR

Very Active Member
I have a WSMR-Rhodes Canyon Oryx tag for Feb, 26-27/2011.
I just got my 300 Win Mag and am I the process of working
up a load for this hunt. I like the Accubonds on deer out
of my 25-06 but the guide i have hired said "no Accubonds"
as they tend to blow up on the thick skinned/heavy boned
Oryx. I'm thinking Partitions (200gr.), and I'm also thinking about that 190 gr. Hornady Interlock.

Lets hear it!

tell ur guide to stick to what he knows...it aint bullets, ask him how a bonded bullet can blow up?.lemme guess, no barnes either cuz they dont expand right??

that said the 200gr PT is an excellent choice.

I'm with you on those Accubonds. I've seen the 110grainers penetrate 3 feet of whitetail and still hold together. Not to mention a GREAT B.C. - I cant imagine that a 200 gr. would not be enough for oryx. Just wanted to hear other opinions.

Your guide was thinking about another bullet or had a freak experience with a shot. Usually, if there is a complaint about the Accubond it is that is didn't expand enough to release enough kinetic energy. My 200 grn Accubonds put a beat down on my African Oryx last June, as they did on all the game I shot there. Good luck on hunt

LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-10 AT 08:30AM (MST)[p]180 gr accubond at 200 yards on a oryx, 300 WSM, DRT. Done perfect mushroom.

Good luck
Bill

Check with the guide again and ask more questions why he does not like the accubond for Oryx. If there were failures that he witnessed, where was the shot placement and what happen after the shot was made.

A bullet may preform wonders on a broadside chest shot into the lungs or heart, but use that same bullet on a heavy bone shoulder shot may end up in a bullet not getting into the vital organs of the animal and you lose the animal.

The guys who said they used accubonds on oryx with good results did not say where they placed that bullet, the range of the shot and what they found while dressing the animal out.
You need more information in order to make a decision on what bullet you want to use in your rifle.

One reason I have stuck with the Nosler Partition for my 300 mag and large game animals. On chest shots, the forward 1/3 will expand to 40 caliber or larger and destroy lung or heart tissue. On a heavy bone shoulder shot, if the front gets blown away, the rear 2/3 stays together to punch though that bone and get into the vitals or breaks down both shoulders. That also goes for a rear raking shot made at an angle where the bullet must travel 3 feet to get from the rear rib to the shoulder and destroy lungs while traveling that distance.

RELH

I just got back from Namibia last month and shot 7 Oryx/Gemsbok and used 300WSM 168gr Barnes TTSX with great success. Shots were from 200-450yds. They are an extremely tough animal and your best shot is through the shoulders, but they are not a thick skinned animal at all.

+1 RELH it all about placement, Use one that will go thru both shoulders and you wouldn't have a worry period.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-10
>AT 08:30?AM (MST)

>
>180 gr accubond at 200 yards
>on a oryx, 300 WSM,
>DRT. Done perfect mushroom.
>
>Good luck
>Bill

Almost exaxct same here, except mine was 184 yards but dropped him in his tracks...

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom