What changed for 2023 NR Quotas ?

They're updating the high-demand hunt code list for deer & elk draws. These are the hunts which have a 80/20 Res/NR split instead of the 65/35 split. They use a 3-year rolling average and based on a minimum threshold of the number of resident points required to draw, to define what is high-demand. The list had not been revised since 2009, meaning that with point creep which has occurred in the interim, that a lot more hunts will have their NR ceiling cut to 20%. And it will reportedly be in effect for this year's draws.

You can scroll through the Draw Recap pages for deer and elk and view them. The NR cap percentage is shown under "Regulation Level" on each hunt code page.

Interesting to note, if the CPW also chooses to update the Hybrid Draw hunt code list, which is also currently based on antiquated 2009 numbers, then the number of hunt codes in the Hybrid Draw will go up dramatically. Residents may not realize that if that happens, it means the sum net total of these changes could actually result in very little relief for Residents trying to draw, by preference, any of the affected codes. Because the Hybrid Draw removes 20% of the tags from the top point holders, and issues them randomly to all resident applicants regardless of point status (for deer & elk). Of course every resident with at least 5 points has a shot at the Hybrid tags, but the applicant pool is often quite large. I have no idea whether they're also revising the Hybrid List, but it seems kinda logical that they would.

. Here is the catch for non-residents, the Hybrid draw occurs after the normal draw and all the non-resident deer and elk quotas are already met prior to the Hybrid random draw. So essentially non-residents won’t draw one of these deer or elk hunts in the hybrid draw

…aren‘t they also placing a NR quota on antelope tags as well? In years prior there was none not even the 35%.

I thought I read that proposed somewhere…

Horniac

…aren‘t they also placing a NR quota on antelope tags as well? In years prior there was none not even the 35%.

I thought I read that proposed somewhere…

Horniac
Haven't heard that. Probably no real need to do so, since NR demand for limited Pronghorn licenses in CO has always been very low. In 2022 non-residents drew 4.8% of the total allocation. And there were 4460 leftover licenses after the first draw.

This is the article I read regarding the change in antelope NR quotas;

Here is an excerpt from that article;

After the November 2022 CPW Commission meeting in Gateway Colorado, the CPW hunting regulations now read as follows: Nonresident hunter drawing limitations (first choice applications only)

2.Unless there is an insufficient number of resident applications, nonresident hunters shall receive no more than 35% of available deer, elk, bear and pronghorn licenses for hunt codes requiring fewer than six preference points for resident hunters to draw in the regular drawing, and no more than 20% of available deer, and elk, bear and pronghorn licenses for hunt codes requiring six or more preference points for resident hunters to draw in the regular drawing as calculated using a rolling three-year average for the previous three limited license draws with a one year lag. These drawing limitations do not apply to the issuance of Private Land Only and Ranching for Wildlife licenses.
It’s also good to see Colorado has finally added Pronghorn and Bear to the limited draw tag allocation caps. This was brought up in a previous article on this website, No State Treats Resident Hunters Worse than Colorado.

Hope they increase the resident point minimum for tags to hit the leftover list as well. Currently its at 5, and point creep has affected that as well.

I don’t think killing too many bears is an issue around here. But it’s been like 5 years since they overran the place, so we probably forgot already.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom