What do you do in the off season in ca. To train for deer season?

Fishingkid

I know you average weekend warrior doesn't prepare for hunting season all year long. What are you guys doing to train and prepare for this years California deer season? I have been hunting deer in California for the last 11 years. I have only hunted out of state 2 times. 90 percent of my hunting is in socal. I try training every year I usually don't stay on track until the last month before season. Fishing and recreational boating gets in the way. This year I plan to train harder than previous years how do you train? And how do you stay on track in 100 plus degree weather?

In my experience, most people won't spend hardly a breath to prepare or "train" for deer in CA.

In January my brother and I booked a trip to Wyoming this October for elk and my training went into gear. I've been using a product called MTN OPS to help and am very pleased with the results. Hitting the gym 6-7 days a week focusing mostly on cardio and some light lifting. To date I'm down almost 35 lbs and feel great. I'm running in the area of 3-5 miles a day and focusing on core strength. Even though the Elk trip is the ultimate prize in my case my fitness will certainly help my CA deer hunts as well. For me I've always fallen off in the summer months because the fitness level wasn't where it should be going into summer so working out seemed so much harder. For me having a better fitness before the heat hits will help, and I do 90% of my workouts in the early morning.

I am just getting back in shape. Had a few injuries the last couple of years. I run as much and lift weights, also with a strong focus on my core. But to change it up I hike all the local trails. Good thing about living in SoCal is most deer are non migratory so you can also get out and scout. You can hike alot different trails in Angeles Crest, and the San Bernadino Mountains. Trails around and near Wrightwood, and Big Bear are a good place to start.

Fishingkid, Fair question.

When i was younger, one of my friends was about 10 years older than me and he went to Wyoming hunting for a month every year. The guy ran laps and stairs at the high school every evening starting a couple months before our local seasons. I did that too...but just not at the consistent level that he did.

I was fortunate to have a large Ranch to hunt that was owned by my Grandfather. My thing was scouting on foot from the Ranch House before season. I scouted every night and i really used to push myself when hoofing it up hills and ridges. As hard as i'd go, i'd tell myself that i needed the work and push even harder.

Between the running and the scouting, i stayed in as good a shape as anybody. Did so for many years.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I have never trained a day in my life but now that I'm 45 I feel like I may need too if I draw a unit with back country potential.

From the time I turned 40 until 2 years ago I trained during the winter with weights, spring and summer with a weighted backpack hiking steep stuff. I was in better shape at 45 than at 30.

My knees can't handle back to back training days any longer. Not as motivated at 55 as I was at 50.

I hike local trails and one steep training hill in the area. The steep one the local wildland firefighters hike in about 40 minutes. Anything under an hour is good for me. But it's 50 minutes back down it's that steep. And I feel it in my knees for a day or two.

With a Arizona late rifle elk tag this year, in a unit I've never been in, I want to be able to scout sunup to sunset for 4 days prior to the hunt and hit it as hard for the week long season so I need to get off of my Arse and get busy.

Thanks for the motivation.

How do you stay in the best physical hunting shape? Great question. Obviously the number one factor is your age. At 61 I can tell you that with out a doubt, that walking and hiking at least 3 times a week, cross-country, in the foothills or mountains is the better than any treadmill workout can offer you. The feet are so important! By going cross-country you can acclimate your paws for most any hunting adventure. If you can find the necessary time to hike the 2 or 3 hours several times a week you will not have any problems hunting the most difficult terrain in the lower 48. Just realize that at an advanced age you can go pretty much anywhere the youngsters go except a bit slower. Hike year long!

If at all possible, make your "workout" serve double-duty. Get up early and hike into the places you intend to hunt if you live near enough to do so. You will get the exercise you need and also have the chance to scout. In my experience, success is all about finding the needle in the haystack--that one buck, in that particular location, that you can have to yourself for at least as much time as it takes to bag him. Opening day is no time to begin looking for a slug.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom