What do you guys think ?

cosmic_cowboy

Very Active Member
Found in unit 14 Whitetail or Muley ?
thumbnail_image1 (1).jpg
thumbnail_image2.jpg

I agree, mule deer. I killed a muley buck in the Southern half of NM with 4" eyegaurds. I've seen more big eyegaurds on muleys in
southern NM that other areas of the country that I've hunted mule deer. Base looks heavy so I'm guessing an older buck that will never get any bigger.

I agree, mule deer. I killed a muley buck in the Southern half of NM with 4" eyegaurds. I've seen more big eyegaurds on muleys in
southern NM that other areas of the country that I've hunted mule deer. Base looks heavy so I'm guessing an older buck that will never get any bigger.
I've killed Muleys with 5.5" eye guards up here in the north also but these are way bigger than that.

Just curious, why would you think NOT a mule deer? Although the eye guard happens to be long, the configuration is classic mulie 4x with an eye guard?

The brow tine looks to me like it's sitting up a little high for a muley, but I've also seen lots of NM bucks that had an inline right there. So I'd say muley too.

Just curious, why would you think NOT a mule deer? Although the eye guard happens to be long, the configuration is classic mulie 4x with an eye guard?
I didn't say I don't think it's a muley... But the mass of that eye guard is VERY unusual and looks like a Whitetail. In fact I don't think it's an eye guard at all the more I look.

Think it would have more mass for a whitetail of that size, I would lean towards muley. Can’t ever tell for sure just from antlers.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom