What do you think would be the best setup?

nontypical

Long Time Member
I currently use a Canon SX50. It's a point and shoot and I get some decent pics, just not what I would consider calendar quality unless I'm super close to the subject (which rarely happens with wildlife). I also own a Canon Rebel T5 for which I have two lenses: EF 80-200mm 2.8 and an EF 75-300mm 4-5.6. The latter came with the Rebel bought as a kit. The former I bought many years ago to go along with my Canon L2 video camera which I used for years.

I would like to upgrade to get better quality pics from the Rebel, but don't want to spend thousands. I'm looking at the Sigma 150-600mm lens for Canon EF. I'm pretty sold on this lens; the reviews are great! And it's under $1k.

Here's my question: Would a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter be better? Am I going to lose an fstop with the 1.4? Pretty sure I will with the 2x. The 1.4 would zoom me out to 840mm. Would the difference in fstop be a noticeable difference between 840mm and 1200mm? The reviews I read were pretty high on the Sigma lens matched up with the Sigma 1.4. Didn't see any on the Sigma 2x.

Anyone got any experience with these products? Thanks.

Wish I could help. With a shelf full of 35mm gear in the safe, I’m pretty proud of myself for not going down that rabbit hole with the digital stuff.

I rationalize my point and shoot by telling myself that I seem more inclined to take the pic the more convenient it is. The only time I miss the gear is when I need to control the depth of field more easily (I’m sure this Leica will do almost everything a real camera will do, but that would require reading the book).

As far as your pics go, better quality would just be flexing on us homies. :) Can’t wait to see them.

Wish I could help. With a shelf full of 35mm gear in the safe, I’m pretty proud of myself for not going down that rabbit hole with the digital stuff.

I rationalize my point and shoot by telling myself that I seem more inclined to take the pic the more convenient it is. The only time I miss the gear is when I need to control the depth of field more easily (I’m sure this Leica will do almost everything a real camera will do, but that would require reading the book).

As far as your pics go, better quality would just be flexing on us homies. :) Can’t wait to see them.
Still researching. I ordered a 2x. If I like it, maybe I'll explore further. Your pics look clearer to me than mine; I'm sure your megapixels are much higher. I too enjoy the convenience, making it hard for me to face the transition...especially with a way heavier outfit!

I'm in a similar situation. I've got a Canon SX10 and a Canon T2I. I've gone back and forth between the Sigma 150-600 and a Canon SX60 or SX70.

My thought on the T2I with the big Sigma 150-600 is that I would be using a tripod mostly because of the size. My SX10 has been so handy that I've taken a lot of photos that I wouldn't have got with the other setup. So easy to throw in the backpack or passenger seat.

Just putting the Sigma 150-600 on your T5 should give you 225-900mm because of the crop sensor. With 2X teleconverter you will be at 450-1800mm. I'm not sure how much light you'll lose but I'm guessing you will have to bump up your ISO and your photos may not be as good as the SX50 due to the noise.

I'm looking forward to how you feel about your new setup.

A crop sensor is any sensor smaller than 35mm. Your T5 is 22.3 X 14.9. Because it's smaller it can't use the whole dimensions of a lens made for a full frame or 35mm lens. Using a smaller area will actually give more reach. Here is a pretty good explanation.

A crop sensor is any sensor smaller than 35mm. Your T5 is 22.3 X 14.9. Because it's smaller it can't use the whole dimensions of a lens made for a full frame or 35mm lens. Using a smaller area will actually give more reach. Here is a pretty good explanation.

Thanks, good article of something I knew nothing about.
Learn something new every day.

Thank you for that

If you decide on a teleconverter, 1.4x may offer better results than 2x. With the TC, the autofocus may also have difficulties in low light. I would try the 150-600 alone before investing in a TC. Use a tripod, Image stabilation turned off, cable release, 2 second shutter delay.

I came across this video that explains teleconverters well. This guy moves along pretty fast and gets a little technical but he has some good information.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom