What happened to the Parker Mountain Antelope herd?

Zarn

The Parker mountain Antelope herd has declined to the point that there is no longer a hunt in that area. How did the largest herd in the state, become almost nonexistent? The game and fish trapped many of them for transplant. They had doe hunts in large numbers. Was that the cause? Wondering if anyone can shed some insight on how this could have happened.

Reading the Utah hunt planner, it sounds like the excessive hunting has pushed the antelope into the country surrounding the parker, so they are now trying to push them back in with the Plateau Highlands hunt.

Reading the Utah hunt planner, it sounds like the excessive hunting has pushed the antelope into the country surrounding the parker, so they are now trying to push them back in with the Plateau Highlands hunt.
Absolute partial (extremely partial) truth. The excessive hunting, over killed the unit. Bucks and does. The DWR is saying it pushed them out because they don't want to acknowledge the absolutely irresponsible lack of management of the unit for a LONG period of time.

Fun fact. Last season an individual with clout was helping some friends on the unit with a tag. They were appalled at the lack of pronghorn on the unit. The locals have been screaming about it for years and it always fell on deaf ears. Once the "right person" saw the situation first hand and it effected their personal experience... Well the unit completely shut down. PATHETIC MANAGEMENT!!! Nothing else!!!!!

Absolute partial (extremely partial) truth. The excessive hunting, over killed the unit. Bucks and does. The DWR is saying it pushed them out because they don't want to acknowledge the absolutely irresponsible lack of management of the unit for a LONG period of time.

Fun fact. Last season an individual with clout was helping some friends on the unit with a tag. They were appalled at the lack of pronghorn on the unit. The locals have been screaming about it for years and it always fell on deaf ears. Once the "right person" saw the situation first hand and it effected their personal experience... Well the unit completely shut down. PATHETIC MANAGEMENT!!! Nothing else!!!!
Agreed, I've spent a lot of time on the Parker recently, and there are almost no pronghorn left. You should never have to stop hunting an area due to overhunting and mismanagement in this day and age.

There was a big winter kill off one year. Then I think it was shortly after that they trapped a bunch and shipped them of to another unit. I was what are they doing ? I hunted Sage grouse out there last year. I never saw one Antelope ! It was always fun to take a ride down on the Parker and see the Antelope. Hopefully it will return once again and be full of them in my lifetime !

The DWR trapped them year in and year out. Even back when Doug Miller was doing his show he had the yearly Parker Mountain trapping pronghorn episodes. I never put in for the Parker but it seems like they would issue hundreds of tags each year.

When I was a kid my neighbor was an old sheep herder from Loa. He used to always tell me if I wanted to see some Antelope. He would take me down on Parker Mountain and show me 500 of them any day of the week. I never did go I wish I would’ve took him up on it... It’s a sad day..

Last edited:
If the deer herd was coming back like the old days I would say good, Before antelope there was quite a nice herd of deer on the Parker, but they have mis-managed the boulder deer unit and everywhere else as well. I do write the Big Game Board and complain - - - probably too much. I guess I need to save my money, give up hunting, get a sheep herd, and complain about the archery hunters shooting my sheep.

What happened is we don’t have a competent division of wildlife resources that manages for money instead of herd health. Combine that with cow moochers that think they own that public land the pronghorn live on, that are the biggest cry babies on the planet, and our pronghorn didn’t stand a chance.

Another issue is the utah DWR is kinda like the federal government. They are the first ones to offer up aid to other states for transplants, but don’t get anything in return. For some reason we seem to care more about helping herds flourish in other states than our own, when they are struggling to begin with.

You Utah boys can’t even manage pronghorn and you want to tell Wyoming how to manage region G and H for deer. ?????

Thank goodness the Expo is this weekend. With all that conservation money pouring in they should have the Parker flush with lopes' in no time.
What a clown comment. Too many people use the Expo and conservation groups across the board as a scape goat for poor managment. Hold the hired “experts” accountable and push for real and proper managment and guess what the resources stablaizes and grows and the need for said groups and dollars fade. Our acceptance is crappy managment is the main reason any of these groups exist...all the way back to Teddy!

What a clown comment. Too many people use the Expo and conservation groups across the board as a scape goat for poor managment. Hold the hired “experts” accountable and push for real and proper managment and guess what the resources stablaizes and grows and the need for said groups and dollars fade. Our acceptance is crappy managment is the main reason any of these groups exist...all the way back to Teddy!
We all know that the management of Utah's herds is 2nd to everyone.
If you can't see the sarcasm in my comment then you need to lighten up.
So take a deep breath and let it out slooooow.

Dude he was joking...

Clowns are clowns. Good thing we do have tie interweb for entertainment because we’ve allowed our resources to disappear.
I feel a lot better after my deep breath. Maybe I’ll head out and see if I can see any lope on the Parker.

Clowns are clowns. Good thing we do have tie interweb for entertainment because we’ve allowed our resources to disappear.
I feel a lot better after my deep breath. Maybe I’ll head out and see if I can see any lope on the Parker.
Good luck. Seems like you could use a time out.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom