What is the best .300 wm long range ?

sharklblog

I'm currently in the market for a .300 mag long range, but I need some help with deciding what to buy. I'm gonna be using this gun for elk hunting and sheep hunting and to have fun shooting targets at 1000+ yards.

Also I'd like to know what scope would be the best for this application.

I'll be loading my own ammo as well so any good recipes are welcome.

Thanks everyone.

The best 300 WM for all of that would be a 28 Nosler, shooting 175 or 180 grain bullets around 3100 FPS, into 1/2 MOA.

Nightforce, Zeiss, Swarovski, Leupold all make good optics for long range. Budget for the Glass should be north of $1,500 for accurate and repeatable mechanics for dialing.

i shoot a ruger m77 300 wm pretty much stock with a trigger job and break topped with leupold and shoot precision hunter ammo out of it 200 gr eldx and im comfortable at 600 i never tried to shoot farther. I know Christensen arms rifles shoot well topped with quality glass

Last edited:
Savage ultralite 110 300wsm 185gr Berger hunting VLD 66 1/2 gr H4831sc group #4 shot at 200yds

B2758831-E005-427A-89D7-1F3388FE7BCC.jpeg

I lucked into a really good deal on my .300 RUM when I was 12, and I absolutely love it. It's the only big game rifle I own and I never plan on switching! I worried it would be too much for smaller animals, but in my experience the bullet seems to travel so fast that it goes right through them. I shoot 180 gr Barnes.

Try and stay away from all things belted. I own a 300WM and hate reloading for it.

That H4831sc is a damn good powder. I use it on my 6.5 and shot several 5 shots 2.5" groups at 600yds.

You ever noticed why no world class bench rest or competitive long range shooters shoot a belted cartridge? Maybe back when I was wearing diapers but today I think no one does.

It's well known that you can not full length size all the way down to the belt. This little extra none sized area will cause a slightly snug fit when chambering. I just hate that feeling...

Btw, I only bump the shoulder back around 1.5 or 2 thou off.

You ever noticed why no world class bench rest or competitive long range shooters shoot a belted cartridge? Maybe back when I was wearing diapers but today I think no one does.

It's well known that you can not full length size all the way down to the belt. This little extra none sized area will cause a slightly snug fit when chambering. I just hate that feeling...

Btw, I only bump the shoulder back around 1.5 or 2 thou off.
You can FL size any belted case with a die made by Larry Willis. Also the snug fit most likely helps your accuracy than hinders it.

To the OP- Are you looking for a factory rifle or custom?
A 300win mag setup for 215s is pretty hard to beat. A 7/300win or 28Nosler is another great option.

IMO, there's no need to get beaten up by any 300 magnum caliber for hunting in the lower 48.

In an apples-to-apples comparison my 280 ai has better ballistics than a 300 win mag.

Last edited:
30 nosler. Shot and remained 300 win mag for many years. Built a 30 nosler and haven’t pull the win mag out of the safe or pressed a bullet for it since. The 30 is a dream to reload for. I agree with getting away from belted cases and I’m a guy that’s killed a bunch of critters with that belted 300. Just no point anymore with the new cases

Caliber posts are the BEST!!! Everyone bends over, spreads their cheeks and lets the opinions fly.

You've obviously settled on the caliber you want.

There are two schools of thought. You can buy a built gun that will shoot 1000.... or you can buy a cheaper gun with a good action (rem 700 is tough to beat) and build one yourself. I've found that the second option is usually cheaper until you get into new barrels. If you could find yourself a Sendero chambered in 300 Win you'd be ready to rock. I'm a weatherby fan myself. I took a bone stock Vangaurd chambered in 6.5-300 and built a 1000 yard gun out of it for pretty cheap. Someone above mentioned scopes starting around $1500... he's 100% correct. I own 2 Zeiss Conquest V4's and I love them. Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Yep buy a sendero if you want to replace it often
The barrels don’t last long
I’ve had 2 and they suck
I will never own a third
YMMV

I was gifted a 7mm....I don’t like that caliber but gave it ago
Never could get the gun to group so after about 300 rounds. Took it to the gunsmith finally and he told me the riflings were gone so I sold it to him for parts cheap.
Had a 300 win mag that was chit too
I’m glad yours is different maybe I got the 2 lemons? Idk

I was gifted a 7mm....I don’t like that caliber but gave it ago
Never could get the gun to group so after about 300 rounds. Took it to the gunsmith finally and he told me the riflings were gone so I sold it to him for parts cheap.
Had a 300 win mag that was chit too
I’m glad yours is different maybe I got the 2 lemons? Idk
Kind of surprising. The Sendero generally gets great reviews. Mine is a BDL, but I think Sendero's had a better barrel. I'm betting my accuracy is going to fall off soon. mtmuley

I love the .300 win mag. My little brother borrowed mine last year to take a monster buck at 14 yards in extremely high winds. I've been known to shoot deer consistently out to 250 yards. I use a special long range technique called "be quiet and crouch down". It works well with the special long range boots I purchased.

I had a Sako Deluxe (left hand) in 300 WM for over 25 years. It would shoot 180 gr Sierra SBT & Nosler Ballistic Tips, just over 3100 fps and under 1" MOA. It had over 1200 rounds thru it when I sold it and never showed any accuracy decline at all.
According to my reloading notes:
180 gr. Sierra Spitzer Boat Tail AND 180 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips
Winchester cases
78.0 grains H4831 powder
CCI 250 primer
Sierras shot around 1 inch groups and the Ballistic Tips .50-.75 groups on a cool day and letting the barrel cool between each 5 shot group.
*************** CAUTION**************
This was a HOT LOAD!!! with primers starting to flatten! Start 4-5 grains lower & work up 1 grain at a time.
IMR 4350 (71.5 Max Load) gave similar speed but did not group as well at 1.25-1.50
Total dedication to hunting elk with a bow & a declining ability to tolerate recoil forced me to sell her 5 years ago. I still regret selling that one. She sure was Purty!
You might take a good hard look at the 300 WSM. I own a Browning A-Bolt in both 270 WSM and 300 WSM. Both shoot well under 1.0 groups with Ballistic Tips and recoil is noticeably less, , , , a lot less in the 270 WSM.
Be safe & have fun!
Elkchaser

Last edited:
The latest rage right now is the 300 PRC. Designed to shoot heavier bullets well. So I jumped on the band wagon and am have one built to shoot 212 grain ELD X bullets. But any of the 300 should do what you want. The 300 win mag has always been a solid performer . But I find it kind of boring. So I have been shooting a hopped up 300 RUM for the past 12 years. A 300 Tejas. But it's more then the caliber you need to look for. Every gun is going to shoot different. A light rifle may have more recoil. A heavier rifle you will feel less recoil. But do you want to carry it around all day. Big scopes are great but can get heavy. Can you get by with a 3 X 18 for your long range shooting or does it have to be a 5 x 20 power ? The whole package makes the rifle. In the end if you can shoot it first and make sure it's what your going to like maybe the best route. If a buddy has a rifle you like or a gun builder has one you can shoot may give you a better picture. Enjoy the ride !

The latest rage right now is the 300 PRC. Designed to shoot heavier bullets well. So I jumped on the band wagon and am have one built to shoot 212 grain ELD X bullets. But any of the 300 should do what you want. The 300 win mag has always been a solid performer . But I find it kind of boring. So I have been shooting a hopped up 300 RUM for the past 12 years. A 300 Tejas. But it's more then the caliber you need to look for. Every gun is going to shoot different. A light rifle may have more recoil. A heavier rifle you will feel less recoil. But do you want to carry it around all day. Big scopes are great but can get heavy. Can you get by with a 3 X 18 for your long range shooting or does it have to be a 5 x 20 power ? The whole package makes the rifle. In the end if you can shoot it first and make sure it's what your going to like maybe the best route. If a buddy has a rifle you like or a gun builder has one you can shoot may give you a better picture. Enjoy the ride !
I've been shooting the 200 grain eld x bullets.

The "King" of the 30 caliber cartridge is the 300 Weatherby. I know that some folks won't agree, but if you consider the year that it was developed it really has never been out done.
I believe the one that will top that 300 mag is a 30-378 with a 165 gr bullet, 3700 fps.
BUT that is just a guess.

I changed the scope and went to a 190gr berger and the old light weight 700 rem. 300win shoots as good as anything I could upgrade to. I am not going to carry a heavy rifle or scope and like big john said about trying a 300 out is great advise considering the gun I have I bought from a friend that could not live with the recoil, and I love that gun.My set up has every thing it needs out to 900 yrd the only thing is I have never taken a shot that far at an animal and the only reason I have taken a few shots at 500 is because I could and not because I had to. If I went to buy a gun tomorrow it would be a 300win and most any gun would do. But all the factors big john mentioned there is still a good range finder, glass for looking at target, a range for 1000 yrd, elevation,temp,direction, wind, angle, there is actually a 100 times more ways to miss than there is to hit at a thousand and it is not going to be the guns fault .

The "platform" is as important and the cartridge/bore size choice.
True "long range" rifles usually have pretty good heft with beefy stocks and longer barrels whereas stalking rifle are usually a bit more short and certainly trim.... even in the same chambering.

We all use what we think "best" for us and best for our specific application. Thank God we have a choice and live in a free country.

Every single one of the recommendations above have some merit!

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom