What is the best course of action?

S

southerncomfort

hey guys, this year will be my first for achery mule deer. I have spotted 7 nice bucks all grouped together but I am still more than two months away from the unit opening back up. Any suggestions on how to keep track of them till then. I know they will split up when the rut kicks in but my question is; can I expect them to stay in the same general area or will they travel quite a long way? Thanks for any tips. I smapped a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what I am looking at.

48e124bd64ffdd1d.jpg

That picture is cool. I love desert bucks. If you are planning on hunting the rut i would be looking for does more then bucks. Can't go wrong hunting water, especially in the desert

I dont know anything about desert bucks, but I really enjoyed looking at the pic.

If there is water nearby, they should be near until the rut starts to kick in. Then all bets are off as a buck can and will travel miles in a day to find does.

More than likely, they will all still be together early in the season since it starts Dec15 or so. I would plan on trying to get at them early before they split up. Later on, you need to concentrate on the doe groups like one other poster mentioned. Hope you get one of them........ Thanks, Allen Taylor......

I can tell you exactly where they will be on opening day if you give me the exact location where those pictures were taken... Just kidding, sorry can't help you but great pictures of some great desert bucks. Good luck come season

Great pictures, it is always a thrill to see nice bucks like that. I will make a guess, they are around Globe?

Reaper
I will let you know a general area come mid to end of December!

Looks like the low desert in 22s.....just a guess.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -- Abraham Lincoln

What do you guys think about judging desert mule deer? I know...to each his own, and I would be happy to kill any of these bucks. But what are some of the things you look for in a trophy. Four out of seven of these bucks are obviously bigger and older than the others but they are all different. The widest is only a 3x. A couple of them are really heavy horned 4x's and one is a tall 4x. I will try to get some better pics. Just seeing what you guys think

Haha, just a guess. But thanks for letting me know after the fact haha. Congrats on the pics very nice

First of all, let me say I'm not claiming to be an expert on desert mule deer, but I've lived in Arizona all my life and until recently I've hunted desert mule deer almost exclusively over the last 30 years.

IMO, a truly giant desert mule deer is hard to come by, but there are some out there. They typically don't pattern very well and I rarely find the same bucks in the same area on a consistent basis. You will also have to contend with a rifle hunt or two before the archery season begins in December so the chances of finding one of these bucks again will be difficult, but not impossible. The desert deer are very nomadic and will usually not stay in the general area you find them earlier in the year. As mentioned, once they start to rut they will travel long distances. But don't lose hope, because I always see good bucks late in the year. Most of the time the bucks I see from December to January are ones I've never seen before. Also, late in the year as it cools off water will be less of a factory than it is during the August hunt.

The deer in your pictures are nice respectable bucks. I would not hesitate shooting the one on the right. He has nice forks, mass, and would be one that most hunters would be proud of! I usually prefer a tall buck as opposed to a wide buck in desert deer and I always look for mass. The tall bucks I've taken seem to score better than the wide ones and mass is hard to find.

Every hunter is different so it's hard to tell you what to look for, but for your first archery mule deer any of them, IMO, would be a true trophy!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom